Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing pebbledash from a house

Options
  • 15-09-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

we have found a house we may put a bid on, but it is covered in an awful reddish pebbledash. Would it be very costly to remove it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You could rent a drill that has a flat head and take it off yourself. Or you could always put that external insulation on it. I have seen plenty of houses in Dublin with that horrible yellow fake large stone outside with external insulation to cover it up.

Or you could but im not 100% sure get a new layer of cement over the stone. I think the external insulation is the best opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

random10 wrote: »
    we have found a house we may put a bid on, but it is covered in an awful reddish pebbledash. Would it be very costly to remove it?
    It will not be costly to remove. The problem is with replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Its possible, not an easy task if the dashing is well keyed to the walls.
    Good few days work in it work depending how large the house is.
    Personally i would be inclined to plaster over the existing dash rather than take it off, if window/door reveals,brick quoins(if any) allowed two/three new coats of plaster.

As hfallada mentioned external insulation also another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Theres quite alot of work to get dash of a house. Dont think youd have it off in a day or 2. I remember removing dash from a dormer bungalow and it took us 5 days and we had 2 hilti jack hammers. The longer its been on, the harder it will be. If you have enough room on your soffit board, just float over it with a sand and cement render. 1 scratch coat and a final coat should do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You could just paint it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Can you paint dash easily? I'd imagine it'd be a horrible job

It would be the same amount of work as removing the dash. time consuming but would work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It would be the same amount of work as removing the dash. time consuming but would work out cheaper.

Would be a lot easier than removing would it not.

Op if you were that way inclined you could do it yourself either with an extension ladder or cherry picker and a stipple brush depending of coarse on the condition of the pebbledash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

parents have painted dash and its a right c**t to paint with a brush but last time they got it done, the professional painted they go used spray and it worked out easily. That's probably easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Spraying is very easy .You can get a cheap sprayer with hand pump from Woodies for maybe 20 Euro .Thats what i did with my last house .Make sure to cover windows etc with newspaper or equivalent .

• Advertisement

anto9 wrote: »
    Spraying is very easy .You can get a cheap sprayer with hand pump from Woodies for maybe 20 Euro .Thats what i did with my last house .Make sure to cover windows etc with newspaper or equivalent .
    Also don't spray on a windy day or your neighbours won't be happy.

Advertisement