Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mouse trap bait?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sundodger5

hi, i am trying to find the best bait for a mouse trap
    any help welcome, thanks

Peanut Butter is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Chocolate Spread works too.
    Be careful where you're setting them that nothing else has access to the traps. You don't want to catch a bird instead of a mouse.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Rasher rind I find is quite good aswell.

Or a cat!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »

I've used the rind off a rasher too. Tied on with thread, and singed with a flame to get a good aroma goin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bacon rind, hot buttered toast, and ham and cheese spread have all worked well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

The best bait is often what they are eating around the house, for example if they have got access to a cupboard and started eating a packet of chocolate biscuits then don't throw them away use them as mouse trap bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I find sweet works better for mice (peanut butter, choc etc) and meaty works better for rats (rasher rind, smelly used grease etc).

This comes from professional experience and also try to use a bait that they have to spend time at rather than run away with ie peanut butter or grease rather than a lump of cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Hellrazer wrote: »

Or a cat!!!

LOL our cats bring in live mice from outdoors and some get away :eek:

My wife found a live mouse in one of her handbags one day and the only way it could have got there is if a cat had dropped it in (bag was very deep with a slippery surface).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok,after discussion with another Mod I've reopened this thread as it does state in our Charter:

wrote:
    Advocating animal cruelty will be harshly dealt with(however the discussion of pest control by humane methods is allowed)

So, I will be going with the rules of this. Any discussion of inhumane pest control methods will not be tolerated. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Stale doughnut, scone or any sweet bread/pastry product work really well for trapping mice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Nutella all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ok,after discussion with another Mod I've reopened this thread as it does state in our Charter:

So, I will be going with the rules of this. Any discussion of inhumane pest control methods will not be tolerated. Thanks.

I guess it depends what you consider to be humane. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

melted chocolate or custard creams worked for me last year (17 of the little so and so's trapped)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What's wrong with trapping and releasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

Jelly babies or chocolate work great too I had a problem with them when I moved into my house 4 years ago.
    Got a cat then and haven't had a problem since ( apart from her leaving dead ones out the back for me!)
    Good luck :)

muddypaws wrote: »
    I guess it depends what you consider to be humane. Very disappointing.

As mentioned above trapping and releasing is a humane method. As the OP hasn't elaborated on the term "trap" I can't assume it's anything but that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

We had mice for a while I got one the plug in things.I think its was 15e it did work and no dead mice to be picking up:D

toadfly wrote: »
    What's wrong with trapping and releasing?

Alls you're doing is shifting the problem elsewhere.
    If I trap a few live rats will you take them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

As mentioned above trapping and releasing is a humane method. As the OP hasn't elaborated on the term "trap" I can't assume it's anything but that for now.

well use your tiny mouse brain

Let me make it clear that when I refer to trapping a mouse or rat, it's a humane dispatch I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

my my my wrote: »
    well use your tiny mouse brain

my my my banned for one week for personal abuse.
    Keep it civil folks.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Listen folks, you decide how this thread is going to go. There are humane methods of pest control that can be discussed intelligently and articulately. It is stated in our charter that you are allowed to do this, so again, you decide the course.

I have zero problem locking this as you have already seen.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Alls you're doing is shifting the problem elsewhere.
    If I trap a few live rats will you take them?

Why would I take live rats from a complete stranger? There is no need to kill them. In three years in our house we only ever had one mouse here and we trapped and released it. We have two small terriers so not sure they might be keeping them from coming near the house

Why would I take live rats from a complete stranger?

I don't believe you should. Nor do I believe that you should inflict them on a complete stranger.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I don't believe you should. Nor do I believe that you should inflict them on a complete stranger.

No-one is expecting them to trap them and keep them as pets. Just pointing out there is no need to kill them. Just my opinion.

No-one is expecting them to trap them and keep them as pets. Just pointing out there is no need to kill them. Just my opinion.

I may clarify, I wasn't advocating keeping rats or mice as pets (though some folk do and hold them in high regard), I'd be talking about trapping them, offering them a humane dispatch.

Do you not feel there are double standards at play here insofar as on one hand advocating trap/release and on the other hand controlling rodents by use of a terrier?
    On the subject of the terrier you mentioned, I would be of the opinion that a good ratting terrier is a humane method of rodent control, and indeed a joy to behold a good dog in action, doing precisely what they were bred to do?

Do ya think?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm pretty sure at this stage that the OP's original question has been satisfactorily answered, and this is all going off topic now.
    These threads just can't end well in this forum, so as this thread has served it's original function, I'll close it now.
    Thanks.
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement