Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office problems

Options
  • 15-09-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I have the microsoft office starter version (was free I think).

Since this morning all of the existing saved documents won't open, the MS Word icon beside each document has been replaced by the orange icon telling me that I don't have MS Office basically when I try to open previously saved docs.

It was fine until I connected my computer to my printer. I have some important stuff that I need to print, i'm extremely worried that its now irretrievable is this the case?

Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Download Libre Office to use your documents in the interim, it's free. Then sort out your MS Office problems. Your files should be still there, if you saved them, all you need is a program that can use them.
    Open Office is another free one.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
    http://www.openoffice.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you bought a PC with Office Starter its free to use indefinitely. Not sure why you're encountering that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe a repair installation will solve the problem:

How to Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Office Starter 2010

I have this issue too. I think the latest windows updates are responsible.

nothing on google indicates a new break in Starter 2010 functionality. People occassionaly 'break' the software, just google Office Starter Stopped Working and a number of threads and fixes pop up, dated between 2010 and 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jojo_12

The exact same thing has happened to me!! No warning or anything, just all my icons changed to orange icons and it keeps telling me I've to buy another version of microsoft office!! Microsoft office starter came on my laptop when I bought it though!! So frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Torqay wrote: »
    Maybe a repair installation will solve the problem:

How to Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Office Starter 2010

I'm having the same problems. Tried as suggested in the above link but I only get the uninstall option. Most other programmes do have the repair/change function. Any idea what the problem might be?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

I have the microsoft office starter version (was free I think).

Since this morning all of the existing saved documents won't open, the MS Word icon beside each document has been replaced by the orange icon telling me that I don't have MS Office basically when I try to open previously saved docs.

It was fine until I connected my computer to my printer. I have some important stuff that I need to print, i'm extremely worried that its now irretrievable is this the case?

Is there any way around this?

Checked this recent link on the MS site for u hope this helps http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010se-word/my-saved-documents-are-no-longer-the-w-icons-but/93f39099-b622-4b2e-b275-a72bcc616841

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I downloaded an update to Openoffice this morning and all seems fine again. Not sure if that was what solved it though,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

lottpaul wrote: »
    I downloaded an update to Openoffice this morning and all seems fine again. Not sure if that was what solved it though,,,

do you have the link for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I am getting the same orange icon.

If I try & open the file direct it won't.

If I open MS Word / Excel first & then open the file it works ok,

Had a few Windows updates recently too.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I am getting the same orange icon.

If I try & open the file direct it won't.

If I open MS Word / Excel first & then open the file it works ok,

Had a few Windows updates recently too.
    check your Default Programs list and see if something has gone jabberwocky with the default actions for your document types.

Advertisement