Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive Not Working

Options
  • 15-09-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,, i have a few external hard drives with music videos pics ect, but my problem is with my Wd800, it was working perfect untill about a week ago i nearly always safely remove remove it before unplugging, but i plugged it in last week and would not show up on and of my laptops or any computer, it wont show up on computer but i can find it in Device Manager, it comes up as Cypress AT2LP RC58", ive research this on the internet and came on this

"Question: How can I recover the data stored on my hard drive when I get an error message saying "Install driver for Cypress AT2LP RC42" or " Install driver for Cypress AT2LP RC58"?
    Answer: These error messages are not related to the Cypress device, but rather the EEPROM attached to your hard drive. The contents of the EEPROM may have been corrupted. Cypress has prepared this document to help you recover your hard drive."

To me it sounds like data was corrupted and Cypress is like a safe mode or something,? any one come across this before or any ideas how to recover the data? hope some one can help!! Thanks Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

can it be dismantled, are there screws etc, to take the HD out of the enclosure, if yes, you can buy a caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 djdarren

yeah i have it dismantled at the minute, i tryed it in a different Caddy but same thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was browsing WD, have you looked at this:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/940/c/130/p/227,482,485

may or may not help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

The txt you posted indicated that the problem was on the hard drive itself and related to a particular component the EEPROM and is saying that the contents of the EEPROM are corrupt and as a result the drive is unreadable. The EEPROM is electronically programmable read only memory which in this case holds the programming information that identifies the hard disk drive to the system.

All you can do is follow the procedure in the documentation Cypress has provided. You'll have to get the PID and VID details info from somewhere (drive manufacturer?) before you can replace them and make the drive visible to the operating system and readable again.

The procedure info and required files can be downloaded here http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=38494

Thanks for the replys guys, ill try that @TheGlassKey Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 XPOT4

does it show up in disk management { diskmgmgt.msc } sometimes you have to give it a drive letter

XPOT4 wrote: »
    does it show up in disk management { diskmgmgt.msc } sometimes you have to give it a drive letter

Thanks for reply, no it only shows up in device manager

Advertisement