Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City of Dublin

• 15-09-2013 5:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just coming to a close about now. Decent-sized tournament - 161 players, which is quite big for a tournament in Dublin. Up about 30% on last year's turnout.

Have been keeping half an eye on the tournament as I couldn't play; there's been some interesting results by all accounts. Valentine Kalinins got to 2Q v Q against Sam Collins, but then overlooked a stalemate trick and had to settle for a draw; still a serious result.

In the majors, I hear there was a Brazilian player who turned up for his last-round game, saw who he was playing, and turned around and left. The logic apparently was that the rating gap (200) made the game not worthwhile! Interesting to see if this gets rated or not; technically, the player did turn up, so it's not exactly the same as a walkover. But it's interesting to highlight that we've had a big thread on cheating, but I think disrespectful opponents are more common (though still not very common) than cheaters. Players who deliberately distract their opponent or turn up ridiculously late; that sort of stuff.

Dylan Boland has been the big talking point in the 1200-1600, I think; seeded third-last with a rating of 1126, he's on 3½/4 (and really should have won the drawn game). That's 100 points plus bonuses before today's games.

Only slight drawback I saw when I popped in yesterday was that the venue was being shared; so in the room beside the Masters, you had an African church group meeting or some such, who were chatting away at full volume and then some. The Teachers' Club is a great venue when it's not being shared - it's central, the bar is excellent, you can fit a lot of boards in - but maybe it's worth trying to get a few new venues into the regular rotation? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Airbender

Inchicore Sports Centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

Juri Firstov won the Open with 4.5/5.
    Karol Marzec won the Major with 5.5/6.
    Jacob Miller, Eugene McMorrow and William Ffrench came =1st with 5/6 in the Challengers.
    There was a 5-way tie on 5/6 in the Juniors but I cannot remember the names

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

5 way tie was between;
    Alan Corcoran
    Eoin Connolly
    Conor Maher
    julien Carthy
    Henry Li

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

cdeb wrote: »
    In the majors, I hear there was a Brazilian player who turned up for his last-round game, saw who he was playing, and turned around and left. The logic apparently was that the rating gap (200) made the game not worthwhile! Interesting to see if this gets rated or not; technically, the player did turn up, so it's not exactly the same as a walkover.
    Unbelievably rude - that kind of thing ought to be on the scoresheet as a resignation!
    But it's interesting to highlight that we've had a big thread on cheating, but I think disrespectful opponents are more common (though still not very common) than cheaters. Players who deliberately distract their opponent or turn up ridiculously late; that sort of stuff.
    I still find it hard to believe people get away with behaving that way. I mean, kids, you figure they're still learning and you make allowances to a degree, but grown-ups, well, the clue's meant to be in the name!

From the Benildus website:

Near-perfect start in City of Dublin
    There are seven Benildus players in total competing in this year’s City of Dublin tournament, and their combined score after round 1 is an amazing 6½!

Continue Reading

City of Dublin update
    After round 3 of the City of Dublin, the Benildus players have fallen away slightly from the highs of round 1, but not by much.

Continue Reading

City of Dublin results
    After the highs of the first four rounds, Sunday was a bit of a come-down in the City of Dublin, but the overall weekend was still quite satisfactory from a Benildus point of view.

Continue Reading

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Sparks wrote: »
    Unbelievably rude - that kind of thing ought to be on the scoresheet as a resignation!
    Exactly my thoughts actually; the player was present, so you could argue it wasn't a walkover as such.

There's a select grouping of players who'll just not bother turning up for round 6 if they're having in any way a bad tournament. I was drawn against Atanas Kouhtev a few years back in round 6; he never bothered turning up. Really, really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

Full results are up at leinsterchess.com - some pictures of the prizegiving at elmmountchess.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Exactly my thoughts actually; the player was present, so you could argue it wasn't a walkover as such.

I don't think a game is rated if no moves were played unfortunately. I'd have no problem banning players who did that from playing in the tournament again.

Wouldn't FIDE rules 12.2 and 12.8 work together to declare it a lost game for the player who decided he wasn't going to play?

12.2 is never implemented.

12.8 - the incident wasn't persistent.

So no, can't see how they'd apply.

• Advertisement

12.2 is never implemented.
    Maybe we ought to reconsider that after toiletgate ;)
    12.8 - the incident wasn't persistent.
    Well, it persisted in that he didn't reconsider - he was out the door and gone, that's persistent (for a given value of persistent) :D
    So no, can't see how they'd apply.
    Well, you also have the ICU code of conduct (2, 4 or 5, take your pick - heck, you could even give 6 a reasonably run if you wanted to).

Mind you, says a lot that we both (a) need and (b) don't have an explicit "don't be a dick" rule!

Well, it persisted in that he didn't reconsider - he was out the door and gone, that's persistent (for a given value of persistent) :D
    It's not persistent; it's only once. :)

Yeah, the code of conduct could apply alright. Though the player has no record on the ICU site, so I think he's never played here before. Bit hard to take action against him if he never comes back.

It's not persistent; it's only once. :)
    My value of persistent differs ;) (I figure, he did it and can't take it back, therefore... :D )
    Yeah, the code of conduct could apply alright. Though the player has no record on the ICU site, so I think he's never played here before. Bit hard to take action against him if he never comes back.
    Well, yeah. Can hardly track the man down and excise the bit of his brain that lets him play chess.... yet. (Someone somewhere is probably working on it...) :pac:

However, it's the kind of flouting of the Code of Conduct rules that really shouldn't be allowed; even if he never shows up again in an ICU match, his name ought to be on the "not allowed to play until he apologises to his previous opponent" list (or something similar and less silly-sounding -- you know what I mean :pac: ). I mean, it's hardly some arcane rule that requires deep thought and great ability - it's basic manners. You don't leave your opponent just sitting there if you're going to leg it, it's just childishly rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Airbender

Somebody told me that the Brazilian player in question, Nunes, was only on holidays here. Who knows, maybe he had a plane to catch. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Well, yeah. Can hardly track the man down and excise the bit of his brain that lets him play chess...
    All you'd need is an fMRI and an unethical neurosurgeon. Oh, you mean practically or legally. Pff!
    Airbender wrote: »
    Somebody told me that the Brazilian player in question, Nunes, was only on holidays here. Who knows, maybe he had a plane to catch. :)
    If he had time to visit the venue, he had time to tell the controller he couldn't play that round.

mikhail wrote: »
    All you'd need is an fMRI and an unethical neurosurgeon. Oh, you mean practically or legally. Pff!
    No, I meant technically :D
    You'd have to excise at least two or three parts of the brain, and they're somewhat shared... :D

Reasoning.png
    ...our ability to solve complex problems by understanding and applying rules. A network of brain areas that includes the right inferior frontal sulcus (pictured left) is highly active during the performance of these tasks. Interestingly, activation within this same inferior frontal sulcus area of the brain has recently been used to measure reasoning ability in patients who are unable to communicate with motor responses after head injury (Hampshire et al., 2012).

What? I said someone was working on it, I didn't say they weren't an amateur... :pac:
    If he had time to visit the venue, he had time to tell the controller he couldn't play that round.
    +1

Full report on the City of Dublin by Pat Fitzsimons. From the ICU website:
    City of Dublin 2013
    by Pat Fitzsimons (September 2013)

The City of Dublin Chess Championships took place over the weekend of 13th - 15th September 2013 in the Teachers Club in Dublin. Over 160 players took part in 4 different playing sections representing a 40% increase in entries compared to 2012.

The Masters Section was won by Juri Firstov on an unbeaten 4½/5 score. The Majors was won by Karol Marzec on a score of 5½/6, while there was a three way tie in the Challengers Section with Jacob Miller, Eugene McMorrow and William Ffrench each scoring 5 points. Jacob Miller finished first on tie break. There was a five way tie in the Juniors Section with Alan Corcoran winning on tie break from Eoin Connolly, Conor Maher, Julien Carthy and Henry Li. The lady's prize was won by Anastasija Manojlovic.

Maureen O' Sullivan T.D. presented the prizes at the event...

...continues

Pictures.

Tables: Masters, Majors, Challengers, Juniors.

Games: Masters.

Advertisement