Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera over long distance?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't realise this forum existed and posted in HE first. Anywho.

I'm looking to put a camera on something at the back of a premises to display in a front window approximately 60-65m away and around a corner.

I'm thinking a colour security camera of some sort and either a wired (if signal loss isn't an issue over that distance) or possibly a video sender.

The likes of this http://www.maplin.co.uk/directional-...der-kit-518136 quotes a 100m range but I'm sceptical.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The link you posted is not showing. But I'd be very sceptical also.
    Is there broadband on the site where the camera is to go?
    IP over broadband would be the easier & more reliable method.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My bad. This is it. http://www.maplin.co.uk/directional-dome-5.8ghz-video-sender-kit-518136

Directional Dome 5.8GHz Video Sender Kit+

Product Code: A43KK

• Long range, up to 330 feet (100 metre) transmission distance

Theres internet access there alright, though what speed I'm not sure. It's a retail premises with tills at the front by the window where the screen will be and the office beside where the camera is needed so I assume they will be networked. Its got a suspended ceiling so running a cable is no problem as long as it can keep the signal over the distance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would not have much faith in that making the distance.
    Broadband would be the better option.
    You can also get DVRs now that can use a 3G dongle.

Advertisement