Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting or Chemistry??

• 15-09-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

From your experience which one is harder/easier and why? Im torn between which one to pick..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Accounting defintely, and if you need help dont hesitate to contact me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

klt wrote: »
    From your experience which one is harder/easier and why? Im torn between which one to pick..

Accounting by a mile and a half dude

Chemistry is a difficult subject and our Chemistry teacher told us that you should only do it if you want a career in science that requires 2 science subjects or chemistry, other than that you would be a fool to choose. Also you need to have a genuine interest in science and have to study very very hard and work very very hard and consistently. She also told us that anybody who got lower than a B in Junior Cert Science shouldn't really consider the subject unless unless they didn't work very hard in the JC and are prepared to work extremely hard for LC.

As for Accounting, Our Business teacher last year told us the subject is alright and can be easy if you were good at JC Business Trading accounts/club accounts/ledgers.

If you absolutely need Chemistry for your future career you should choose it. If you don't think that you'll need it, don't even consider the subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

You are being a bit unrealistic here. I admit chemistry is a difficult subject and you have a wider course to cover but you are forgetting the fact that with chemistry you have eligible entry into more 3rd level courses then with accounting. Most science-based courses (about 200) require you to do at least one of biology, chemistry or physics. Accounting, however, is not required by any 3rd level courses. Also accounting can be one of the dullest subjects on the leaving cert course.

In the end what matters most is finding the subject that you will enjoy and find interesting (at least for 2 years :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Chemistry is a difficult subject and our Chemistry teacher told us that you should only do it if you want a career in science that requires 2 science subjects or chemistry, other than that you would be a fool to choose. Also you need to have a genuine interest in science and have to study very very hard and work very very hard and consistently. She also told us that anybody who got lower than a B in Junior Cert Science shouldn't really consider the subject unless unless they didn't work very hard in the JC and are prepared to work extremely hard for LC.

As for Accounting, Our Business teacher last year told us the subject is alright and can be easy if you were good at JC Business Trading accounts/club accounts/ledgers.

If you absolutely need Chemistry for your future career you should choose it. If you don't think that you'll need it, don't even consider the subject

Your Chemistry teacher is exaggerating to high heaven and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I did both and found both to be fine. For a lot of people it takes a while to understand chemistry. I found that if I just read the chapter then I understood it but for others it took until 6th year for it to come together. You need to learn definitions word or word as the marking scheme is quite specific. Overall it's not a very long course and there is a good choice of questions.
    I did very little actual study for accounting for the leaving cert. Accounting is one of those subjects where you need a good teacher to understand the basics. Some people in my class just couldn't grasp the concepts at all (but they didn't really try to be honest). The thing with accounting though is that you need to practice the questions a lot. Most questions have the same adjustments so once you do them a few times you're fine. If you look at an accounting book now it will seem really difficult and at the beginning it's hard but after a while you do get the hang of it.
    Also, the person's teacher who said that you need at least a B in JC science to do chemistry is wrong. There isn't really anything you need to remember from JC and a lot of things are different. Chemistry can be hard but it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Just keep on top of everything and you'll be fine. I loved chemistry. I also loved accounting, I don't think I could choose between the two!

• Advertisement

yoho139 wrote: »
    Your Chemistry teacher is exaggerating to high heaven and beyond.

Yeah.. I wish you could tell her that so that she'll stop getting angry with me for getting a C in Junior Cert Science.

I did both and found both to be fine. For a lot of people it takes a while to understand chemistry. I found that if I just read the chapter then I understood it but for others it took until 6th year for it to come together. You need to learn definitions word or word as the marking scheme is quite specific. Overall it's not a very long course and there is a good choice of questions.
    I did very little actual study for accounting for the leaving cert. Accounting is one of those subjects where you need a good teacher to understand the basics. Some people in my class just couldn't grasp the concepts at all (but they didn't really try to be honest). The thing with accounting though is that you need to practice the questions a lot. Most questions have the same adjustments so once you do them a few times you're fine. If you look at an accounting book now it will seem really difficult and at the beginning it's hard but after a while you do get the hang of it.
    Also, the person's teacher who said that you need at least a B in JC science to do chemistry is wrong. There isn't really anything you need to remember from JC and a lot of things are different. Chemistry can be hard but it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Just keep on top of everything and you'll be fine. I loved chemistry. I also loved accounting, I don't think I could choose between the two!

Seriously.. That's actually very assuring because now I know that I might actually do alright in Chemistry

What year are you in anyway? TY, Fifth?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Chemistry - Because I study it and love science! :)
    The exam is predictable in that the same questions come up every year. If you keep doing the papers you'll find it easy however understanding the contents can be a challenge but if you're scientific you wouldn't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lorentzforce

That's the greatest load of rubbish:

I didn't do Science for my Junior Cert, and took it up in Fifth Year. I'm an A student. While it requires a lot of work, I feel the above statement is grossly exaggerated and wholly untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 OE3004

As a chemistry teacher, I find this very OTT from your teacher! There's no denying chemistry is not the easiest of subjects, but if you work hard from the start of 5th year it's completely doable! However, I wouldn't recommend doing chemistry unless you have an interest in it and enjoyed it for JC, but that stands for all subjects - the ones you have an interest in are the easiest to study!

OP, are you taking either biology/physics? If not, bear in mind that you will be limiting your college choices by not studying a science if you choose accounting

OE3004 wrote: »
    As a chemistry teacher, I find this very OTT from your teacher! There's no denying chemistry is not the easiest of subjects, but if you work hard from the start of 5th year it's completely doable! However, I wouldn't recommend doing chemistry unless you have an interest in it and enjoyed it for JC, but that stands for all subjects - the ones you have an interest in are the easiest to study!

OP, are you taking either biology/physics? If not, bear in mind that you will be limiting your college choices by not studying a science if you choose accounting

Sounds a bit like she's trying to force out students that would require her to work. Students that do well are more likely to be easy to teach (as a general rule, there's definitely a few exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OE3004

yoho139 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like she's trying to force out students that would require her to work. Students that do well are more likely to be easy to teach (as a general rule, there's definitely a few exceptions).

Obviously I don't know the other teacher in question but I would not jump to that assumption! Students that are willing to work and cooperate are the easiest to teach, regardless of what grades they're capable of

OP, do whichever subject you have a genuine interest in whilst ensuring all avenues are open to you upon completely your LC

Advertisement