Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham 5k 29/09/13

Options
  • 15-09-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen a thread for this race yet, a very popular race.

Website: http://www.athleticsrathfarnham.ie/rathfarnham-5k/rathfarnham-5k-run

Last year's thread (I know it's says 2009 at the start but the all seem to be amalgamated together).

I'm not involved in the race in anyway, never done the race before but thinking of giving it a go this year as it's got a good reputation as a fast course.

Anyone else giving it a go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boboloo

Yes have done this race a few times. Nice friendly atmosphere and fast course. Weather the last few years has been great, sunny and cool - hopefully be the same this time around. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm in, about 80 from the club will be running. This will be my fourth year running it, always a good race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'm in. Run the route a lot, it's very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »

Looks like there's a couple of lumps and bumps on that course between the first and second mile, definitely a case of making hay on the downhill sections!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Looks like there's a couple of lumps and bumps on that course between the first and second mile, definitely a case of making hay on the downhill sections!

The elevation corrections are not enabled on that link so it looks worse than it is!!

Here is my link from 2010, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50549399

only one hill, and that very small, at the 1 mile mark
    But the long straight down Templeogue Road can be tough - a bit of a drag, might be into the wind, and seems like it goes on forever.
    Then when you turn the corner to the start line again, it's a fast and hard km to the finish

so who else is in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I signed up ages ago but I'm still getting over the HM.

Haven't run a 5k since my very first race in June 2012 so I'll be looking to set a baseline time, anywhere between 20 and 24 mins I'll be happy with.

The course is pretty much where I do most of my running anyway so should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'm looking forward to this, not sure if I'll go all out as the legs are still feeling Saturdays HM but I'll decide on the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

I am doing it for the 1st time, looking forward to a PB, all going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    so who else is in?

I'm running with my daughter, her first ever race..... CL is running with her sister, also her first ever race.... We'll be starting well back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I'm planning to be there.
    Great course! My strategy last year was to go out hard and hang on as long as possible, knowing that the last km is mostly down hill!

I see number collection this year is at their clubhouse, I presume this is easy enough to find.

wrstan wrote: »
    I'm planning to be there.
    Great course! My strategy last year was to go out hard and hang on as long as possible, knowing that the last km is mostly down hill!

I see number collection this year is at their clubhouse, I presume this is easy enough to find.

Think it's the old court house building near the motorbike shop Moto4U

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I've signed up, great race. Not expecting any great result on my part, haven't ran since Athlone Hlaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

**I'm base building, I must not race......I'm base building, I must not race**

Will be out in support of this one anyway (despite the thoughts of just "tempoing" this one :D)

ecoli wrote: »
    **I'm base building, I must not race......I'm base building, I must not race**

Will be out in support of this one anyway (despite the thoughts of just "tempoing" this one :D)

That's sounding like RunningKing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Christy winning from Maher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Enjoyable race, first 5km in a long time, Time on the website is exactly 1 min slower than my garmin time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Enjoyable race, first 5km in a long time, Time on the website is exactly 1 min slower than my garmin time though.

That's your gun time.
    Click on your name and look for 'net result'

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's your gun time.
    Click on your name and look for 'net result'

Good Point, well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Great race fair play to Rathfarnham AC. 20:02 for me, very happy with that despite not breaking 20min. Seemed to be an invasion of Bros. Pearse runners!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Good race, well marshalled and organized. Enjoyable

antomagoo wrote: »
    Seemed to be an invasion of Bros. Pearse runners!!!!

Somewhere between 70 and 80 :)

As always, a very well run race by Rathfarnham AC. Stewards everywhere, results up on the wall of the race centre before 11, team results shortly after, not a hitch from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great race. Well organised and lovely course. Thanks for the feed of jaffa cakes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

super race, well organised. maybe pens / cordoned off area at the start would be an idea, I know there were signs up but I don't think many paid attention to them.

I'd certainly recommend the race in general.

the signs were a bit... optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Love the 5sec link to your finish on the race results. Brilliant addition precision timing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I didn't do the race as it doesn't really fit in with my Marathon training. A friend did it and was a little peeved that she was >900 to register so missed out on a T-shirt. She was however, delighted to find a commerative watch in the goodie bag. For anyone that got the watch and the tshirt!, that's amazing value for money!

Advertisement