Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informing people you're veg?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am moving abroad next week and my boss has very kindly offered to pick me up at the airport and bring me home to meet his family and have lunch, then take me on a tour of the city.

Now, I'm delighted with all this but it's a country where being vegetarian is very uncommon (though less so than before). I want to tell him I don't eat meat without coming across as being demanding. I have done things like this before but I'm just worried because he's my boss and he's already going above and beyond by even picking me up! Normally I'd offer to bring something but I'll be straight off a plane...
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

It's much less awkward to let him know now than when you're sitting at his table with a big pile of meat in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

If it were me I'd start a conversation about the local facilities, ie: gyms, public transport, cinemas, best places to eat out etc. Then follow up naturally with what are the vegetarian options like in the local restaurants. Or you could mention ordering the vegetarian option if it's a flight with a meal. Definitely, definitely say it to him before you go over, but I would bring it up naturally not so directly as 'HEY! I'm a vegetarian!' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Definitely, definitely say it to him before you go over, but I would bring it up naturally not so directly as 'HEY! I'm a vegetarian!' :pac:

I disagree. He's invited you over for lunch - that's a signal for you to inform him of your dietary requirements. Think about it, if you invited someone to have a meal at your place, wouldn't you expect them to let you know right away if there was a whole category of foods they couldn't eat, instead of dropping hints and hoping you'd be able to guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Couldn't agree more with Dandelion6. Just tell them clearly, don't make a deal or an issue of it. An "oh, by the way, I forgot to mention I'm vegetarian", should more than suffice, In my experience most people are only too happy to accommodate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just tell him, not a big deal. he invited you for food, you dont eat a certain food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hey op I moved abroad recently too, to Amsterdam and they are so pro-cheese that it is kinda awkward being vegan. It's one of those things I sorta hate saying coz you come across like a big weirdo :P Like for instance, we had an international food night in my building where everyone makes food from their home country. I was not going to go at all coz I was thinking I'm not going to be able to eat anything, people are going to be asking me questions about it all night etc etc, but in the end I just made something vegan (not irish) and brought it along. When people saw there wasn't meat in it they naturally asked are you vegetarian, so I had to explain no I'm vegan, told them what was in the dish, lots of people tried it and liked it, it was not a big deal, and now most people that I know here know I'm vegan now which makes things easier. At the university it's awkward too, I have to go to pizza lunch talks and there is always biscuits and cakes and wine and cheese after seminars, and I can't have a damn thing! So people ask you questions constantly, but once they know it's much less of a big deal, the earlier they know the better. So just inform your boss, it's much better that he knows. In future I would mention it straight away when lunch is mentioned. I would also try to get to know other vegetarians, maybe see if there's a meetup group in your area, it's good to have support, people to eat out with, people to cook with. The more open you are about being vegetarian the easier it will be to meet these people too. I've met a few people here that are vegetarian and we sometimes take turns cooking, which I really look forward to because otherwise I'm only cooking for myself, then the quality of my meals suffers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

I agree with Dandelion - Just tell him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would actually go so far as to tell him 'I forgot to mention to you that I'm vegetarian. Your offer of lunch is very thoughtful, but I don't want to be any imposition, so I wanted to make sure you know. If it puts you to any trouble I won't be offended if we eat somewhere else'.

That way, it looks like you are telling him to avoid seeming picky. If cooking veggie is a big deal for whoever is making the meal, he then has the option of changing the plans and maybe you could go to a restaurant or somewhere. I don't think it will be a problem if you tell him now, but would be rather embarassing if you arrive and they have a spit roast in your honour or something and then after all the trouble they went to you eat little or nothing.

Just be prepared for the possibility that you will end up eating a rather bland salad or a lot of bread!

Advertisement