Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a uFirst Account with Ulster Bank?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions:

Since UB have brought in the €4pm maintenance fees, if I were to upgrade to the €10 uFirst account, would I be paying just the €10 or would it be €14?

I searched a few threads on here looking for information on the phone insurance, and a lot of people mentioned an "excess of €40". What does this mean and at what stage, (and to whom) is it paid?

Also, a lot of people mentioned that they had booked tickets and were still waiting on getting their 25% back, is this a common thing and have you actually received the cash back?

Oh, and is it available to students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ufirst is €10, the €4 doesn't apply.

Excess in insurance means the money you pay towards a claim. For example, if your phone is worth €200 and have €40 excess when you make a claim, you would get €160 back from the insurer towards a new phone.

Can't comment on the tickets, and student or not, I'd imagine Ulster would glady take the money from you for it each month.

Honestly, most of the "benefits" are window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ufirst is €10, the €4 doesn't apply.

Excess in insurance means the money you pay towards a claim. For example, if your phone is worth €200 and have €40 excess when you make a claim, you would get €160 back from the insurer towards a new phone.

Can't comment on the tickets, and student or not, I'd imagine Ulster would glady take the money from you for it each month.

Honestly, most of the "benefits" are window dressing.

I signed up over 12 months back, and have claimed back over €200 in Ticketmaster purchases, so have profitted from the account! You get 25% back into your account about a week after a ticketmaster purchase.

I have saved €13 a month on my O2 phone insurance and have also used the travel insurance.

For me, it's been a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

In fairness, if you avail of Mobile Insurance at the moment then adding a U First will probably save you on average a potential E60 a year not to mention the €48 saved from charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

That's great, thanks guys! Just sent an online application for an upgrade so should receive confirmation in a few days. From what I read, after that I need to drop in to my local branch to register my phone with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rawn wrote: »
    That's great, thanks guys! Just sent an online application for an upgrade so should receive confirmation in a few days. From what I read, after that I need to drop in to my local branch to register my phone with them?

No, you can just enter the imei number on the benefits website iirc.

If you want the overdraft I think you need to go into the branch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Does anyone known if the insurance covers the value of your phone (Cost to replace it) or the amount you paid for it ( Total on receipt?) I take it they send a cheque less the 95 excess and you have to buy the replacement yourself? Does the phone have to be purchased in ROI to avail of this, with gadget insurance etc. this is the case.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer these questions

Does anyone known if the insurance covers the value of your phone (Cost to replace it) or the amount you paid for it ( Total on receipt?) I take it they send a cheque less the 95 excess and you have to buy the replacement yourself? Does the phone have to be purchased in ROI to avail of this, with gadget insurance etc. this is the case.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer these questions

From Policy it seems:
    They replace.
    No mention of phone having to be purchased in ROI
    Insurance is administered by Carphone Warehouse underwritten by Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Insurance is administered by Carphone Warehouse underwritten by Aviva

Yes that's correct info

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    Wrong information
    ufirst Mobile insurance is provided by Aviva and managed by Ulster Bank.
    Carphone Warehouse has nothing to do with it.

Oh look just reading what it says at the bottom of the site :rolleyes:

From FAQ .....
    Why is Carphone Warehouse involved?
    While your mobile phone insurance is underwritten by Aviva, Carphone Warehouse are the administrators of this policy. This means you have mobile phone experts dealing with your claims and your phone registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Watch out with the phone insurance - I made a claim after having my phone robbed, and they told me they had not got "the same phone" or "one of a similar value" which I find hard to believe (I had a HTC One V).

They told me the next model available was a HTC One SV and I had to pay €95 :mad: to get it, which I had to agree to as I was on the spot, with no phone and need it for work (self employed).

The phone arrived two working days later - and was a refurbished model. Just the phone in a generic black "Aviva/CPW/UlsterBank" box, no documents, no charger, nothing. Phone clearly a refurb as there were a pile of apps installed, and none of the usual "wizard" installs on power up.

It is within their rights to provide a refurbished model, but I feel extremely hard done by after forking out €95 - maybe I'm wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If not happy with settlement (ie refurbished second hand phone) then WRITE letter of complaint asking for it to be looked into. If you are not satisfied, you can go at no cost, to Ombudsman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've got money back on the tickets. Sometimes it doesn't go through, but there's a number to call to sort it all out (just needed to email them with the ticket conf email).

The overdraft can be sorted out over the phone. No need to call in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Is anyone else finding the ufirst ticket cash back service absolutely diabolical at the moment? I've had to call in my last 7 ticket bookings, their system just doesn't seem to pick anything up anymore.

And when you call they tell you that you need 31 days before you can make a claim that you haven't received your cashback or received a cashback e-mail, absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Is anyone else finding the ufirst ticket cash back service absolutely diabolical at the moment? I've had to call in my last 7 ticket bookings, their system just doesn't seem to pick anything up anymore.

And when you call they tell you that you need 31 days before you can make a claim that you haven't received your cashback or received a cashback e-mail, absolutely shocking.

Yeah it's a pile of ****.
    -Search on ufirstaccount site doesn't work.
    -Cash back doesn't come through automatically
    -Inconsistent responses from support when I do contact them for cash back (sometimes they call, sometimes they email, sometimes they ignore me, sometimes they fix it, sometimes I have to chase them a lot)

Advertisement