Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

By Any Means (BBC1)

• 15-09-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭

Source

BBC One has released a trailer for their upcoming drama series By Any Means,
    which is set to premiere on Sunday September 22nd at 9pm.

Created by a writing team comprised of Tony Jordan, Richard Zajdlic, James
    Payne, Jeff Povey and Richard Lazarus, By Any Means has been described as a
    “gritty police drama” which follows police officer Jack Quinn who runs a
    clandestine police department that, when the legal system fails, go to any
    lengths to bring the criminal elite to justice. Quinn’s shadowy and brilliant
    team will go about their business, exploiting weaknesses, weaving a web of
    cunning and deception that leads the unwary target into the arms of justice. The
    series is produced by Red Planet Pictures and stars Warren Brown, Elliot Knight,
    Shelley Conn, Gina McKee, Andrew Lee Potts, John Henshaw, Keith Allen, Kate
    Dickie, Neil Maskell and Martin Jarvis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should be fun this, even if it smacks of stealing "high concept" nonsense from Hollywood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mike65 wrote: »
    Should be fun this, even if it smacks of stealing "high concept" nonsense from Hollywood!

Well Warren Brown
    has described his new show as like The A-Team meets The Equalizer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is there ANYTHING on or coming to the BBC that doesn't revolve around crime?
    (apart from Strictly and baking shows)

How is the rest of the world not pulling their hair out at the thought of a full winter of "who dun it? Someone did" tv ? All of this police stuff looks interchangeable to me at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

How is the rest of the world not pulling their hair out at the thought of a full winter of "who dun it? Someone did" tv ? All of this police stuff looks interchangeable to me at this stage.

All tv stations output are more or less the same. BBC would be a lot more diverse than most I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

All tv stations output are more or less the same. BBC would be a lot more diverse than most I think.

Not in terms of creative drama content though, I think they're becoming much less diverse. We get a crime related drama for nearly every night of the week. Then a yearly 6wk costume drama is the only reprieve from murders and police and I don't think they're even doing that this year. It's as though only people in the 1800 to 1900s could possibly have personal lives and relationships nuanced enough to build a narrative around. I miss the more human drama based series, we need some things like Cold Feet,Life,Teachers etc that appeals to both genders and has strong enough writing not to need a paedophile,murderer,dead body,ego maniac police guy etc thrown in to add supposed momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

I think that you picked the wrong thread to raise this issue.

If the BBC came out in this timeslot, with the type of drama that you want they would be accused of trying to spoil ITV's premier of Downton Abbey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone watch this?

Reminded me of UK version of Leverage with less charming and likeable characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Thought it was pretty bad tbh. Poorly acted and the poor story line felt like a schoolboy had watched an episode of leverage and wrote an English version in his lunch break.

28 minutes into the first episode and really not imppressed. Touted as a gritty drama it's really a light, comedic whodunit with not a whole lot of charm or wit. It relies far too heavily on the same repetitive piece of music that feels like something found on the editing suite after they'd finished scoring an episode of Utopia.

Advertisement