Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Deals - Coal,Turf,Briquettes

• 15-09-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all
    Thought it was probably time to start up a new fuel thread.:D

Has anybody seen any good deals lately??:)

Homefuel.ie have a few deals - has anybody used their stuff?? Their supplier in Limk is Bennetts on Roxboro Rd.
    They sell BordNaMona-Fireflame 40kg for €18.50 - is that a good price???
    They're BordnaMona briquettes are €4 - In the co-op they're €4.29 each and they're on offer at 2 for €9 in woodies.
    Homefuel also do turf for €3 a bag - again anyone used this turf? Is it the black or brown turf?? Is it any good ???

They also do deals with combinations - link attached
    http://homefuel.ie/products.php?cat=30&supplier-id=83

Apparently they also deliver - has anyone used them?? Are they reliable/any good??

Can anybody recommend anywhere else that may have any good offers/deals??
    Or another type/make coal thats good and cheap???:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Hi all
    Thought it was probably time to start up a new fuel thread.:D

Has anybody seen any good deals lately??:)

Homefuel.ie have a few deals - has anybody used their stuff?? Their supplier in Limk is Bennetts on Roxboro Rd.
    They sell BordNaMona-Fireflame 40kg for €18.50 - is that a good price???
    They're BordnaMona briquettes are €4 - In the co-op they're €4.29 each and they're on offer at 2 for €9 in woodies.
    Homefuel also do turf for €3 a bag - again anyone used this turf? Is it the black or brown turf?? Is it any good ???

They also do deals with combinations - link attached
    http://homefuel.ie/products.php?cat=30&supplier-id=83

Apparently they also deliver - has anyone used them?? Are they reliable/any good??

Can anybody recommend anywhere else that may have any good offers/deals??
    Or another type/make coal thats good and cheap???:)

Not much value there from what I can see.

Donedeal.ie has lots of people doing tonne bags of turf and timber, much better value than these places.

For coal the long pavement is usually best price.

The trick really is buy in bulk, tonne bag of turf, get a trailer and buy 10 bags of coal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Ger Walters
    Polish coal
    Bale of bric

5 of each 96.50 delivered. Probably cheaper to collect but handy to get it delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

relaxed wrote: »
    Not much value there from what I can see.

Donedeal.ie has lots of people doing tonne bags of turf and timber, much better value than these places.

For coal the long pavement is usually best price.

The trick really is buy in bulk, tonne bag of turf, get a trailer and buy 10 bags of coal etc.

I am looking on donedeal, anything or anyone that you would recommend?
    Turf blocks coal all needed! Two houses (Mins and the mothers)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

There's a guy that travels around Newcastlewest, Askeaton etc 6 bags of blocks for 20 euro delivered to your door. Very good wood too. If anyone wanted his number I'm sure I could get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

€4 for an individual bale is good versus filling stations etc but briquettes have really come down in price this season. The Co-Op have 5 bales of Briquettes for less than €20 (19.90 or there abouts) so that's the slightly cheaper option that way. Also Homefuel.ie are charging €4 for 1 bale, €20 for 5 and €42 for 10 so it seems to be more expensive to buy in batches of 10 from them than most other places around. In contrast they also have 128 bales for 470. Thats 3.67 per bale and that's pretty good. 128 bales is a lot for most people but if a few neighbours grouped together and split the load then that's not bad value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Ger Walters
    Polish coal
    Bale of bric

5 of each 96.50 delivered. Probably cheaper to collect but handy to get it delivered

Is there much of a difference between English & Polish coal in Walters other than the price with I think is €3 / €4 a bag?

Is there much of a difference between English & Polish coal in Walters other than the price with I think is €3 / €4 a bag?
    Polish coal is better burning and heat output with less ash. I burn it in a stove and if I light it at tea time 5ish it will last all evening without topping it up. One bag of coal would probably last 10days in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Polish coal is better burning and heat output with less ash. I burn it in a stove and if I light it at tea time 5ish it will last all evening without topping it up. One bag of coal would probably last 10days in this weather

Is it worth the extra?

Is it worth the extra?

Yes, better heat and cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The co-op are having a sale at the moment - here

A tonne of house coal is €349.75

They also have on their flyer buy four bags and get a fifth bag for free so not sure which is better value on the face of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Tried the English coal and found it poor tbh, the polish coal or doubles or their stove coal would be a much better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

what are the doubles? I'm too embarrassed to ask my coalman:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The co-op are having a sale at the moment - here

A tonne of house coal is €349.75

Works out as 25X40Kg bags for €350 so €14 per bag - You can buy premium polish coal from Ger Walters delivered for that money.

- Also the extra bag free thing never computes if the 'paid-for' bags are shockingly dear in the first place.

P.S. - Just to add thanks for posting - I don't mean to be contradictory or anything, just a bit skeptical of the feckin Co-op and their dealz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Any bricquette bargains around? I notice the co op has 5 bales for 20euro.anything better?

Advertisement