Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online scammer has my info?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this so i will just try my luck here.

Thing is I unfortunately got caught up in a scam where I gave the scammer my name, address, email address and mobile number, and he also gave my number to another scammer.

I just want to know what could he do with my info? It has been a good few months since I caught him out and threatened him with the gardai so he could leave me alone and have not heard from him since (but I didn't actually report them since i am not sure if they are able to do anything) but it still plays around in my head, especially when he called me once, he was really angry because I did not transfer money yet, so I was scared of him after that.

I mean the worst case scenerio is that I keep thinking that he would turn up at my door one of these days...

I keep be worrying about nothing, he probably will never show up anywhere, but just want to know anyway, what would he do with my info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Was it this scam, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564 ? If that is all he has then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd change your email if you use it for recovering your forgotten passwords though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

Was it this scam, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564 ? If that is all he has then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd change your email if you use it for recovering your forgotten passwords though.

No it was a completely different one, where they were emailing people who put up ads looking for part-time work, to do surveys in workplaces. I thought it was legit as I actually did hear of people coming in to workplaces like pubs and restaurants as mystery customers to observe staff and report back to the staff's manager to see if everyone was working properly and if they were not slacking off. It was when I gave my info and then they told me about transfering money was when I realised something was up as they did not inform me about transfering money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Without knowing the full details of who/what/when/where/why (that's the healthwarning out of the way), there's a couple of things over here to consider though it is more from a hacker's view of the world than a scammer.

900913's post is probably what to be worried about from an online perspective.

Scammers can usually be pretty dumb and unlikely to be technically adept so you "may" be safe online. Still, usual internet safety stuff should prevail - harden the passwords which you use online - to your email, facebook, twitter, etc..... By harden, it means lengthen, use characters (upper/lower), numbers, symbols. There are easy ways of doing this and still being able to remember them. Strangely 15 - 20 character passwords aren't the most difficult thing to remember if they are constructed right and *can* be really secure.

The point which 900913 was making in the other post is that your email could be an entry point to lots of other stuff about you - what have you lying around in your email - probably lots, and stuff that you would have a reasonable expectation that won't be in anyone's hands other than your own - your orders on ebay, amazon, your flight confirmations/online boardings, notes from friends, password reset emails identifying what other services you may be signed up to. God forbid but passwords emailed to yourself :eek: - we all probably have them at one stage.

Your physical security is more likely to be of primary importance and one to be aware of. I agree with your assessment that 'he probably won't turn up anywhere' but I gather he has you worried and you do need peace of mind. You are right to have a concern albeit stressing over it mightn't be too good either - it might never happen/may be unlikely to ever happen.

You say it was an Online scammer. He may not even be in the country.

I think if it were me (and decide for yourself/don't take this as definitive advice) I would drop into the local garda station and explain what has happened and see what they say - just for piece of mind and that they know.

Be safe.

Advertisement