Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Song To Play On Guitar?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just wanted to find out - when someone hands a guitar to you, to play a song, what's the first song you would normally play? Obviously it might depend on a situation... For me, it's Time Of Your Life by Green Day. It'll be interesting to see how it varies depending on the age, or what situation you're in, or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sexual Healing is pretty fun

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hotel California, always my go to song on guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Probably hey Joe, it can be as simple or complex as you like, and can go on for as long as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Message in a bottle, finger style

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Hotel California, always my go to song on guitar.

Best part of that song is the solo. What do you do for that? Hum it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Like Suicide - Soundgarden

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

James Taylor, something in the way she moves.
    Or something by Keziah Jones if I need some blufunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Under the bridge by the Red Hot Chilie Peppers such a beatiful guitar riff to play by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

Louie Louie. Always Louie Louie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I am the highway, pretty easy but cool song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

Dead or Alive Bon Jovi. I love the intro and always get a good response, except from my wife who has heard it 2,000 times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Red house - you can improvise to your hearts content and its another one that can go on for days if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Wish You Were Here,
    (Though the intro and some other parts can sound better on a 12 string.)
    Or
    Needle and the Damage Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Radiohead's paranoid android

mellow and aggressive, suits all moods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Etc wrote: »
    Message in a bottle, finger style

Really clever little riff that

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Falling, the Twin Peaks theme. I worked out a handy enough arrangement but I think it sounds great, always a nice one to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

The Yellow Princess by John Fahey (fingerpickin').

Dave-H - any TAB? I've been trying to work out stuff from YouTube, but no dice. Willing to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Is there anybody out there? Pink Floyd

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

sarkozy wrote: »
    Dave-H - any TAB? I've been trying to work out stuff from YouTube, but no dice. Willing to share?

Pm sent dude ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Some Beatles - Long and Winding Road, Yesterday, Strawberry Fields or I will

Cat Stevens - Wild World
    Bread - Guitar Man
    ELO -Telephone Line

and most recently Jason Mraz - Butterfly

All the above sound great on guitar and are pretty easy.

I'd also normally go with Blackbird/Hotel California as mentioned above, but that's more for fingerpicking than singing along when someone passes me the guitar. Hotel California can be very tough to sing at the high parts...and most people...though they 'know' the song, tend to forget most of the lyrics :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont really have favourites, tends to be what I've spent time learning most recently - at the mement it's Sarah by Phil Lynnott.
    Least favourite song to play has been Sweet Home Alabama for a long time now!

hats off if you can play that. Thats one of my party pieces. Two key changes....tough song to pull off. All those jazzy maj7 chords and the Em9sus4 to boot. If it's called that. Ha ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Never said I played it right - simplified version is the way to go! Havent mastered the key change yet but noone complains.

Advertisement