Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice area to rent close to the city?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm finally looking to move out of my parents' house (again), and would like to move somewhere that is within (about 30 mins max) walking distance of the city.

I'm not very picky about the size of the room really - a single/box room would be fine even - but am more interested in the general state of the house/apartment, who I'm living with, and in particular the area!

I've been having a poke around Daft, but I'm not really all that familiar with the areas around the N/S Inner City. I want to make sure it's a safe area to be coming and going to at night, etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Ranelagh seems like a really nice area, but I reckon I'd probably struggle to find anywhere affordable. My budget is probably €400 max for rent. Rathmines seems more affordable and is a vibrant enough area I think. I rented in Terenure for a year or so, and it's pretty much dead; not much to do if you're in your 20's!

I'm really unfamiliar with anywhere North of the Liffey :D But Smithfield seems like a cool area. I've been around the square during the day and, while it's pretty cool, I'm not sure what it's like at night. Even during the day you'd see plenty of heads hanging around drinking cans and the like. Is it dodgy?

BTW, Are there other sites besides Daft that I could be looking for ads? I'm searching in the 'Sharing' section, and e.g. there's only 10 ads for places in Smithfield. Seems like there should be more.

Also, if anyone here happens to have a room available, I'd be interested to hear about it - but I think it'll be January that I want to move. I'm 25 BTW, would like to live with similar-aged people (20s-mid 30s)

Thanks!

p.s. Don't let the forum I mod fool ya - I do drink :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Stoneybatter, just up the road from Smithfield, sounds like exactly what you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Fairview, East Wall, Ballybough, in an around Parnell St, North Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Fairview, East Wall, Ballybough, in an around Parnell St, North Strand

Seconded :)

...Glasnevin, Beaumont, Artane or Whitehall have decent areas as well, all close enough to the city centre, 15 minutes max on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Em - no. He was looking for a nice, SAFE part of the city.

Parts of Faiview -yes. Otherwise mostly no. I used work in Phisborough & it is full of weirdos - at max e400 he won't be bidding at the better end of the market .
    Parnell Street?? Crack haven. I won't even leave my car in my friends " secure" car park there anymore - the 8 year olds are experts at break & entering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

?? Phibsboro and Drumcondra are great places to live

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

these are safe areas :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Ballybough and North Strand are stretching the definition of 'safe'. They're no Drumcondra and almost polar opposite to the OP's preference of Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OldBean wrote: »
    Stoneybatter, just up the road from Smithfield, sounds like exactly what you're after.
    This place is coming up a lot in other stuff I'm reading, seems to be highly regarded, bit of a hipster place or something?

Seems good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OldBean wrote: »

This is where I live and it's a great area. There's cool pubs and restaurants, plus it's like a little village so you have a butcher, baker, green grocer, dry cleaners. Although I have been told its getting harder to get nice properties around here, the rents are starting to creep up too, but not as high as the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There's hipsters living here, there's creatives and young professionals living here, along with young families, and older families, and just about everything. It has lots of local businesses doing organic produce, and has various allotments in and around the houses, so it gets called a hipster area. There's a nice community feeling, and various events, from the Sitric Picnic to neighbourhood cleanups of the communal 'back passages', throughout the year to reinforce that.

You've three great pubs, L.Mulligans and Walshes and Ryans on Parkgate St within 10 minutes walking distance. You have Phoenix park and Collins Barracks nearby, and the Luas line (Smithfield or take a shortcut to Museum during the day) and loads of busses passing through. A taxi in/out of town will generally be around 8 quid. Most parking is on street.

It's generally quite safe, though it can get rough enough the further north/west you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you can find somewhere in ranelagh/rathmines for that price, i'm in ranelagh and friends are there for circa your budget, you wont find a better location in dublin imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Drumcondra is quite nice. Bu expensive due to pats. But phisborough is more affordable and pratically in town with all the junkies and take always. I have walked through phisborough at 3am on my own dozens of times with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Portobello, Harolds Cross are good options too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stoneybatter would fit the critera too I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Consider:
    • Drumcondra

• Stoneybatter

• Protobello

• Rathmines

• Ranelagh

• SCR between Harrington Street and the National Stadium

• City end of Harold's Cross

Avoid (IMHO):
    • Ballybough

• East Wall

• North Strand

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dave! wrote: »
    ...but I think it'll be January that I want to move...

I can tell you that you'll need to get through me, Mr Simpson & tricky D first before you attempt to move our co-mod anywhere. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Drumcondra or Phibsboro are good bets...,they're usually safe areas,easily accesable to town and plenty of pubs,shops etc.

be carefull about areas like Ballybough,North strand and around the 'town' end of noth circular road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Think I'll be aiming for Portobello, was there recently and it's a lovely area. There are rooms to rent for about €400-500, so I think it's within my budget.

Advertisement