Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange VDSL stats

• 15-09-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

a friend of mine had 70mb magnet fatpipe installed on friday, installer claimed the line was synced at 70/20 and as the mate is 400 meters from the cabinet its the profile he should be on

now heres the strange bit, i checked his connection today as he said it was slugish and it had a ping of 150ms 17.4mb download speed and a 16mb upload speed

so i go and check line stats and get these results

17173Kbps / 20233Kbps Down/Up
    9.1dB / 6.1dB Noise margin
    28.6dB / 39.6dB Attenuation
    11.5dBm / 8.9dBm Power

now before anyone says hes quite far from the exchange and that lines must run a different way bla bla, well they cant, we live on the outskirts of town with 2 estates that use the same access road, theres no other estates near or any other exits from the estates, all cabling runs out of the entrance of both estates onto the one access road and up to the cabinet

for my own connection im 1029M in google maps from my exchange and i sync at 50/20 and have a attenuation of 14.2dB / 5.3dB (Approximate Distance 1028M with a line checker)
    now if u leave my house and head up towards the cabinet im connected to, my friend lives just over half way to it from mine, 420M in google maps

so should his line attenuation downstream not be closer to the 5.8-6.0dB mark? this would give a approximate distance of 420-434M to the cabinet

a attenuation of 28.6dB indicated his line length is 2071M long thats the rough distance to the local eircom exchange that adsl and voice run thru and i know this as my old adsl2+ attenuation was 30.1, so its not the distance to the cabinet thats 420M away

can annyone shine some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Sorted! on a unused extension there was a old dsl filter, that was causing the problems, line now syncs at the correct speed of 70/20

Advertisement