Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps

Options
  • 15-09-2013 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Is is just me or is the main Letterkenny - Derry Road not on Google street view?

In street view, when I come off the Dry Arch roundabout onto the Derry Road I just get a black image. Happening on Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Some bright spark thought it sensible to take the photos at night and worse added them into street view then. Its the same in burnfoot you can see the car lights on some sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Same thing happens in Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

my Road Ard O Donnell is also blacked out completley, i dont know why as all the surrounding ones are covered, but im told it only takes one person on a street to complain about their privacy being infringed for google to suspend street view in their street , i dont know how true this is though !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Parts of the lifford road are the same too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

There seems to be intermittent blacked out stretches. If I click on for a while street view comes back and a few hundred yards further on it blacks out again. Happnes several times between the Dry Arch roundabout and the Manor roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    my Road Ard O Donnell is also blacked out completley, i dont know why as all the surrounding ones are covered, but im told it only takes one person on a street to complain about their privacy being infringed for google to suspend street view in their street , i dont know how true this is though !

I thought they blocked that out because of the school nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

They used to only block the house/building of whomever complained, but I think they then got complaints as everyone could then see who complained in the first place so they blanket out bigger sections now. Very few of my relatives homes can still be seen on Streetview because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I could never understand the blacking out of streets.

None of the data is up to date so not much use if someone is gonna case the place.
    Unless there was something in the photo that you didn't want shown but even than what?

I know people can be very cautious about privacy in this day and age but this always made me curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Maldesu wrote: »
    I thought they blocked that out because of the school nearby.

Pretty sure it's not because of the school as the inlaws live right beside it and their house is visible, though I know just past their house its blacked out as oranbhoy mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

yeah the street i live on has no school beside it , & my old street in Glasgow has a school and thats not blocked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Definitely nothing to do with schools. I did a quick run from Lifford to Ballybofey on Google Earth and every school is shown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    Definitely nothing to do with schools. I did a quick run from Lifford to Ballybofey on Google Earth and every school is shown

well you're on the list now!

Claim a Pete Townshend and say it was for research :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danniemcq wrote: »
    well you're on the list now!
    :eek:

Never thought of that

Advertisement