Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Vetting

• 15-09-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Waiting for this to come back from Tipperary, I have no convictions... Was given probation act for a relatively minor road traffic incident, also summonsed previously for possession of explosives ( fireworks) at Halloween but DPP decided no case to answer so this was thrown out also...

Will this affect my application for emergency services job??? Even though I was never convicted of any offence??? Have passed all other requirements

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Im pretty sure motor convictions are a different kettle of fish to criminal offences.
    A clean licence is always a good thing but it shouldnt end your chances if your the right person for the job.

And the fireworks since no conviction was handed to you means it shouldnt stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peterb23

Was worried a couple of prior prosecutions would affect me getting the job even though I've never been convicted of a criminal offence!!! Is there any way they can make you forfeit your place even if you've no criminal convictions???

"make you forfeit your place", I don't get what your asking here, but I think if you get your interview, and get the job, I don't see your possible motor conviction and previous court appearance against you.

What I mean by that is, I've passed the aptitude test, passed the interview phase and completed both the medical and physical aspect , I'm waiting to sign my contract but the employer cannot release this until they receive a satisfactory Garda vetting report!!! I was worried that having seen my previous road traffic incident and court appearance they wouldn't give me the job basically!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I thought you could only obtain garda vetting if the position involves working with kids and/or vulnerable people (unless that's the case here)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pk82

You should read:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

and

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=36

Also the part down the Citizens Advice page:

"When a prospective employee is vetted by the Gardaí the details of all convictions and prosecutions are disclosed to the authorised liaison person in the registered organisation. The details will include all completed prosecutions whether or not they were successful and will also include any pending prosecutions."

My bet is that the 'explosives offence' will show up. It will probably say either struck out or dismissed depending on what actually happened

You can be gauranteed that they won't say it being related to something as trivial as fireworks

That was my worry as " possession of explosives" sounds like I was walking around carrying pounds of Semtex which is ridiculous...

Anyway my main concern was that they could take away the offer of employment but from what I've seen / heard as long as I have no criminal convictions they have no legal basis to deny me the position considering I passed all other requirements which I did!!!!

The application form for the position included a question asking whether I'd any criminal convictions and if yes, the details of same... I answered this honestly and said no of course... The idea that prosecutions show up even though I wasnt convicted is a tad ridiculous to be honest

Was it struck out before hearing or did it go to hearing and was then struck or or go to hearing and was dismissed?

I believe it will not make much difference. I believe it will still show up but appended as struck out (possibly saying why struck out)

It will be interesting to see what comes back. You can request a copy of the information from the prospective employer

You will have to explain what really happened.

I believe they can deny you the position if they so wish.

Anyway, wait and see what comes back

What is the job?

pk82 wrote: »
    Was it struck out before hearing or did it go to hearing and was then struck or or go to hearing and was dismissed?

I believe it will not make much difference. I believe it will still show up but appended as struck out (possibly saying why struck out)

It will be interesting to see what comes back. You can request a copy of the information from the prospective employer

You will have to explain what really happened.

I believe they can deny you the position if they so wish.

Anyway, wait and see what comes back

What is the job?

1 incident which was careless driving, judge applied probation act so that I was left with no convictions..

2nd incident a group of us (10) in Wicklow mountains camping , a couple of the lads brought fireworks as it was close to Halloween, 1 also brought a pellet gun, something that you'd see on a stall on the continent, guards arrived searched us and 10 of us were summonsed, direction came from DPP that 8 of us were to be dismissed so never came to being dealt with by a judge .... Happened over 10 years ago, on the scale of crimes that could be committed it doesn't rate that highly but was concerned anyway , would rather not give the position applied for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Has anyone seen what is actually on these vetting reports?

Never seen one, filled out the vetting form but it just asks you have you any criminal convictions?? Your previous addresses and your personal details like dob etc!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Doubtless the organisation will receive a list of Court Outcomes.

If you sent directly to Thurles for your info you would receive a list of 'Incidents' (e.g if you reported a theft or someone reported you for something but nothing was doen by AGS - no statement given) and 'Court Outcomes' - convictions, strike outs, dismisses.

I asked about the job because if you applied for e.g a Garda Reserve Job they would have more info available to them than what will be given to an organisation via vetting

I am not exactly convinced that it is 'vetting' that you mean

Doubtless the organisation will receive a list of Court Outcomes.

If you sent directly to Thurles for your info you would receive a list of 'Incidents' (e.g if you reported a theft or someone reported you for something but nothing was doen by AGS - no statement given) and 'Court Outcomes' - convictions, strike outs, dismisses.

I asked about the job because if you applied for e.g a Garda Reserve Job they would have more info available to them than what will be given to an organisation via vetting

I am not exactly convinced that it is 'vetting' that you mean

It is for a position with the fire services, I had to complete a Garda vetting form prior to interview a number of months back but have since passed all requirements , just waiting on satisfactory vetting report back from an Garda Siochana...

Obviously I understand that an individual may have a string of incidents from public order to assaults / thefts etc ... However apart from my road traffic and explosives / pellet gun charge which was struck out I have no other incidents of note... Am just stressing that I won't be hired based on the above , maybe I'm going overboard I don't know, I do tend to worry alot

No point worrying as the ball is in motion. Just explain it for what it is - absolutely nothing (Did you already explain it to them??). Also if it happened a good while ago that will be in your favour.

You may wait and see. In any event I would obtain the vetting info from them when it comes back

If you actually received a summons (or was applied for) for the fireworks 'offence', then it would have been listed in Court.

On the day, I imagine the prosecution (probably an Inspector with AGS if in the District Court) stood up and said strike out the matter

If this was the case (was it??), I would imagine it will be on it with the comment strike out

Can you remember the charge exactly?

No point worrying as the ball is in motion. Just explain it for what it is - absolutely nothing (Did you already explain it to them??). Also if it happened a good while ago that will be in your favour.

You may wait and see. In any event I would obtain the vetting info from them when it comes back

If you actually received a summons for the fireworks 'offence', then it would have been listed in Court.

On the day, I imagine the prosecution (probably an Inspector with AGS if in the District Court) stood up and said strike out the matter

If this was the case (was it??), I would imagine it will be on it with the comment strike out

Can't remember the exact charge but it was along the lines

If you actually received a summons for the fireworks 'offence', then it would have been listed in Court.

Can't remember the exact charge but it was along the lines of possession of explosives and yes all 10 of us were summonsed, turned up in court and the inspector told the judge that der were no charges to be brought against 8 of us, the other 2 lads each received a conviction if I remember rightly... Really want the job, that's why I'm putting so much emphasis on it, it happened when I was 21 or so, no conviction though which is the main thing I suppose and it's clear that it was an isolated incident

Haven't had the opportunity to explain the charge as HR maintain that they are still awaiting the report from AGS!!!

• Advertisement

You may wait and see what exactly is on it /how worded if at all. Post back when you get it

You could possibly use it to your advantage.

Explain it for what it is.

State that you learned form it

State that you learned about the dangers of fireworks and that would make you a better fireman (you could explain it to youngster so they do not make the same 'mistake' - for want if a better word - that you did)

peterb23 wrote: »
    Haven't had the opportunity to explain the charge as HR maintain that they are still awaiting the report from AGS!!!

I meant if you had been forthcoming at the time you filled in the form, it would have helped more.

Dont be worrying anyway. Easuer aid than done I know

I meant if you had been forthcoming at the time you filled in the form, it would have helped more.

Dont be worrying anyway. Easuer aid than done I know

Just asked for any criminal convictions I had to date on the form itself so due to the fact I had none I answered as honestly as I could

sorry if my comment came out wrong. It wasnt meant to offend.

I know it says convictions but dealing with the State might be better to dislcose all even if trivial. After all the charges were dropped

Wait and see what it says is all you can do

sorry if my comment came out wrong. It wasnt meant to offend.

I know it says convictions but dealing with the State might be better to dislcose all even if trivial. After all the charges were dropped

Wait and see what it says is all you can do

Ha ha no offence taken!! Ill update when I hear back

Advertisement