Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to biking

• 15-09-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello all, first off, a pleasure to be here. Names david, i'm new to motorcycling and passed my theory test a few weeks back. I'm waiting on my licence then i'm going to head for my IBT. I've read the stickies and have checked out a few bikes as a taster, won't be buying anything till i've got the cash outright for the bike, gear and insurance ( End of september here i come :D )

So, my question is this: I've had a look around and i came across a guy in a garage that will remain nameless that offered me a honda shadow 125cc, 01, not sure of the mileage, recently serviced with new tyres, chain, and a few other new bits, has a couple of cosmetic prangs, small dent in the fueltank and the back brake light is cracked, but he offered me full gear including helmet, jacket, gloves, trousers, everything except the boots, all in including the bike 1200. I know there'll be other factors to consider that as a novice i'm surely overlooking, but based on the info i've given, a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The bike may not be suitable for you test, what licence have you applied for?

€1200 for all that gear and a bike sounds low. What brand is the gear and has it got CE armour, how does the helmet rank in the Sharp test*?

* Not that the Sharp test is the best, people don't like €200 lids getting better results than €600+ ones, it's handy to see if they are even rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hi David.

A Honda Shadow 125 is a fine bike to learn the basics on however I consider that one to be overpriced based on your description and I'd need to know a bit more about the gear being offered with it. Did you take any pics of the bike or is there a link to the ad you can post or pm? If you find a bike you like the look of, bring a mate who knows a LOT about bikes to check it out for you and make sure you are aware of any impending costs. On principle I won't buy a bike with a dent in the tank - I just see it as a sign that no one cared enough to look after the bike properly and there are always lots of bikes for sale. Ditto for the broken lens - they are only a few quid to replace and are a sure sign that other stuff was neglected.

You can get lidded, suited and booted in LIDL for under €200 so do some research before committing to anything - buy the best gear you can afford and give some thought to how you'll use the bike. If you aren't planning using it in bad weather you don't need expensive waterproofs with goretex gloves. If you are using the bike mainly in summer then a leather jacket, short gloves and kevlar jeans might suit better etc.

Have you had an insurance quote from anyone yet?

Of all the newbie advice, pay particular attention to getting some training from a respected instructor - a few hours of someone coaching you is worth any number of near misses. Take your CBT seriously, buy the Police Riders Handbook and read it carefully.

Travel safe!

'cp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Same advice as "Ceptor".
    Too much money, so do not touch.
    Do your ibt first and you will learn more about bikes, and riding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I passed that offer up and came across a private sale that was fantastic. I managed to get this instead:
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/other-motorbikes/other-motorbikes/2010-other-motorbikes-other-motorbikes-for-sale/3783069

Brought my friend who is a massive motorbike head and a mechanic to boot, he had a look over it and said it was in, with the exception of a bit of rust on the crash protector, perfect. Got the bike, a front lift helmet, leathers, lock, raincover, everything except the kitchen sink for 675! :)

The bike is in almost perfect condition and only have 200km on the clock, it's fantastic. I gotta get the cash together for the IBT but man ohh man did i strike it lucky with that one. :)

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Todd, you got a great deal there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If the helmet is used by someone else, I'd strongly advise buying a new one. Especially if it's anyway loose or tight. The best helmet in the world is the one that fits you best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If the helmet is used by someone else, I'd strongly advise buying a new one. Especially if it's anyway loose or tight. The best helmet in the world is the one that fits you best.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

the helmet is perfect, leathers are a little tight :)

but hey, i dont mind passers by getting an eyeful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Take your CBT seriously, buy the Police Riders Handbook and read it carefully.

Are all versions of this practically the same? Looking at ebay, there seems to be quite a few different versions.

Advertisement