Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To buy an iPhone5 or wait for the 5C?

• 15-09-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

So my iPhone 4 which I've had since launch has recently broke and I've been without it for almost a month now thinking the 5C would be released same as the UK. But just wondering is it worth waiting the extra bit to buy the 5C or just buy a 5? As far as I know the specs are the same and I'm not too mad on the colours that have been released. Some advice would help.

Also, does anyone know when the 5C will be released here in Ireland? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So my iPhone 4 which I've had since launch has recently broke and I've been without it for almost a month now thinking the 5C would be released same as the UK. But just wondering is it worth waiting the extra bit to buy the 5C or just buy a 5? As far as I know the specs are the same and I'm not too mad on the colours that have been released. Some advice would help.

Also, does anyone know when the 5C will be released here in Ireland? Thanks

The internals and specs of both iPhones are identical (except for a slight improvement of the front facing camera in the 5c), the only difference between the iPhone 5 and 5c is the rear case. The 5 is made using the same material and design as the 5S, it's a much more high quality finish. The 5C uses lower cost plastic but could be more preferable for somebody who likes the design.

Apple have discontinued the iPhone 5 however and replaced it with the 5s, so if you are still looking at buying the 5 you'll have to go elsewhere. If its between the iPhone 5c and 5s then I'd recommend the 5s, you get a lot more for the extra €100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The 5C is clearly aimed at Justin Bieber and 1 Direction fans (pre-pubescent boys and girls up to about 15) IMHO. I'll wait for the 5S, not being in either of the preceding demographics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

DubDJ wrote: »
    The internals and specs of both iPhones are identical (except for a slight improvement of the front facing camera in the 5c), the only difference between the iPhone 5 and 5c is the rear case. The 5 is made using the same material and design as the 5S, it's a much more high quality finish. The 5C uses lower cost plastic but could be more preferable for somebody who likes the design.

Apple have discontinued the iPhone 5 however and replaced it with the 5s, so if you are still looking at buying the 5 you'll have to go elsewhere. If its between the iPhone 5c and 5s then I'd recommend the 5s, you get a lot more for the extra €100.

Thanks a lot, found a place that are selling them new for 550 so I think I'm sold on the 5, always had my mind set on the black slate finish. Thanks for the help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm in a similar boat. I was using a Galaxy I (inherited) as my main phone and, as a Mac user, was looking forward to finally upgrading to an iPhone. An hour ago, my Galaxy got smashed and I don't know what the best course of action is.

Find a friend with an old, basic handset until the 5S or 5C come on-stream? Or go for the 5S?

My handset has been a pretty important piece of kit for organising my life. Only thing is, I'm in-between jobs, and with my first kid just arrived, every euro counts. I'm very wary of being locked into an 18 or 24 month contract on the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

sarkozy wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat. I was using a Galaxy I (inherited) as my main phone and, as a Mac user, was looking forward to finally upgrading to an iPhone. An hour ago, my Galaxy got smashed and I don't know what the best course of action is.

Find a friend with an old, basic handset until the 5S or 5C come on-stream? Or go for the 5S?

My handset has been a pretty important piece of kit for organising my life. Only thing is, I'm in-between jobs, and with my first kid just arrived, every euro counts. I'm very wary of being locked into an 18 or 24 month contract on the 5.

If every euro counts have you considered a pay as you go 4 or 4S? they're going fairly cheaper than the 5 and are basically the same phone minus the faster processor and smaller screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

sarkozy wrote: »

I know you might have to hunt a little more for the right one, but have you considered eBaying for an iPhone 5? My friend got a brand new (sealed box) one on eBay for £350

Just a thought if it helps

Thanks.

Alternatively, I manage to get my Galaxy I screen replaced, but that'll cost as much as a new iPhone 5, I imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I would expect the price of the remaining iPhone 5 stock to drop when the 5c/5s becomes available in Ireland. I'm not sure that I'd recommend going out to buy an iPhone 5 right now.

Yeah, though it's possibly more likely there'll be no 5's by the time the 5c comes out, so I also doubt very much there'll be a price drop, and it's some time to go without a phone waiting for this shower of a country to sort out their ess aitch one tee.

Advertisement