Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

haunted pubs in dublin

Options
  • 15-09-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone, I am writing an article on haunted pubs in Dublin and I've tracked down the usual suspects (Kavanaghs gravediggers etc). I was wondering did anyone have or hear tell of a ghosty experience in Dublin hostelry? I would love to hear any stories you may have, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

setanta59 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am writing an article on haunted pubs in Dublin and I've tracked down the usual suspects (Kavanaghs gravediggers etc). I was wondering did anyone have or hear tell of a ghosty experience in Dublin hostelry? I would love to hear any stories you may have, thanks.

the top floor of Doyles in phibsborough is allegedly haunted by an extremely malevolent presence.the cock tavern in howth is also reputedly haunted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

On a general point. Perhaps someone can suggest, if "spirits", "ghosts" do exist, surely they should be everywhere? They are not restricted to favourite haunts?

For example a medium "can" communicate with spirits from everywhere in one location.

OK, I guess some might think, "I better to go to a place where spirits are supposed to haunt, as opposed to summoning them up myself" and getting in a bag load of trouble.

I think a lot of this Haunted pubs, hotels, ships, restaurants, B&Bs are purely a cheap attempt at marketing, (a bit like Arthurs' Day in that respect).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 setanta59

Thanks Harry, I hadn't heard either of those before. I'll check them out.
    Ketleson, you might be surprised how few Irish pubs claim to be haunted, compared for example to the UK. I don't think your assertion that it's a cheap form of marketing is correct for that reason. Just to be clear I don't think mediums can contact spirits anywhere.
    I agree about Arthurs day though and just this morning I joined he boycott Arthur's day Facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks Harry, I hadn't heard either of those before. I'll check them out.
    Ketleson, you might be surprised how few Irish pubs claim to be haunted, compared for example to the UK. I don't think your assertion that it's a cheap form of marketing is correct for that reason. Just to be clear I don't think mediums can contact spirits anywhere.
    I agree about Arthurs day though and just this morning I joined he boycott Arthur's day Facebook page

Fair points: Pubs boasting to be "haunted" and so on would seem to more common in the UK.

Mediums: Nor sure what you mean exactly? Are they charlatans? Or is it that the "spirits" contact them and not the other way around?

Boycott Arthurs' Day Facebook: Thanks for heads up on that. Mind you it was helpful in so far I spent a bit of the morning explaining to my young daughters how it was an example of a crass marketing campaign to sell booze en masse with no cultural or historical merit whatsoever. I like a pint and a bit of music but Arthurs day! Only in Ireland.

I think some mediums are charlatans, others genuine but deluded. I don't believe it is possible to contact spirits, I am a sceptic in these matters. I'm not sure there are even such thing as spirits, but I the find subject of haunting a fascinating one at the same time, having had an experience myself that I cannot logically explain. I know that's a contradiction but if I saw a ghost tomorrow I think I would put it down to hallucination or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

the top floor of Doyles in phibsborough is allegedly haunted by an extremely malevolent presence.the cock tavern in howth is also reputedly haunted

That's quite interesting about both pubs, could you elaborate please?

That's quite interesting about both pubs, could you elaborate please?

the cock tavern in howth,well i don't often go to howth so its second hand info from relatives i have living out that way.Doyles of phibsborough? i personally know many previous staff,and plenty of drinkers who have had weird s**t happening to them

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

the cock tavern in howth,well i don't often go to howth so its second hand info from relatives i have living out that way.Doyles of phibsborough? i personally know many previous staff,and plenty of drinkers who have had weird s**t happening to them

I actually meant any cool stories?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

was just wondering which Kavanghs pub ?

Larsso30 wrote: »
    was just wondering which Kavanghs pub ?

Kavanaghs in glasnevin aka the gravediggers, prospect avenue I think

• Advertisement

Kavanaghs in glasnevin aka the gravediggers, prospect avenue I think

i grew up pretty near the gravediggers,locally its not said to be haunted at all.lovely boozer mind,gets used a lot for scenes in movies/ads.

Harry, It is reputed to be haunted according to "Dead interesting, Stories from the graveyards of Dublin" by Shane Mac Thomais, "Historic pubs of Dublin" by Aubrey Malone, and in Kevin C. Kearns excellent book, "Dublin Pub Life and Lore - an Oral History" he has an interview with the then landlord, Eugene Kavanagh, in which Mr Kavanagh makes reference to mysterious happenings, including the sighting of a 'ghost.'

that's all very well,but around.
    these parts its not reputedly haunted.a pub beside the gates of a graveyard would obviously would warrant investigation,that pub is in all sorts of films and ads.maybe Eugene was being wise and fueling the fire,like hotels etc located around loch Ness its an obvious tourist attraction so why not cash in on it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

johnny foxes pub in the Dublin mountains is said to be haunted. don't know if its true or not though..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Donaldio

Ive been in the Gravedigger a few times never had anything happen. I was told just across from the ha penny bridge you go under an arch and alley way into temple bar but the building on the left of the arch ,same structure i think, but i was told that was haunted being closed for many years.

Advertisement