Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy solid fuel?

Options
  • 15-09-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Winter is coming and I am looking for the best value solid fuel to use in the open fireplace in my living room. Where is the best place to buy solid fuel - quality and value? I would be looking to get briquettes, coal and maybe some timber. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I got top notch coal off a guy out in Comer last year... really great stuff and he was cheaper than anyone in town. And before the jokes start, no he wasn't a miner - it was in bags - didn't recognise the brand mind you, but it was deadly stuff. It burnt like crazy. I can't remember the guy's name - I might think of it.

They won't sell you smokey coal in town take-away either anymore and smokeless coal is shyte so I just don't bother with it at all myself these days. Briquettes are shyte as well imo their ash to BTU ratio is way too high for me - you spend all day taking out ashes after them.

Got stung buying saturated wood from a dealer in town two years in a row - never again. After year one when it happened I asked him was it dry and he assured me it was. Fk me, he must have been storing it under water - it wasn't just superficially wet, the bloody stuff was like a sponge. I went out to Paulstown in July during the heatwave this year and got two cubes of hardwood at a good price - it's absolutely bone dry and stacked up in my shed now so that should see me though the winter! Feel a bit like foxy after writing all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

There's a Cody's in Castlecomer, if that's who you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Kilkenny Building Supplies across from Woodies have some decent offers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Lad in Paulstown sells timber by the trailer load. Best value I'v seen by a long mile. Will deliver as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I use Marble City in the Hebron he might not be the cheapest and no doubt the many posters might tell me where I c an get a better deal, and hopefully Sky King has recovered from his malaise of feeling like me.
    However; I would probably describe myself as a happy bunny, Whilst on the subject we burn smokeless in a multi fuel stove and someone said try anthracite any one views etc.
    It is cold enough to keep the fire in all night, right cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement