Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geodesic Dome Greenhouses

• 15-09-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

What do you think of these dome greenhouses?
    A few places making them in Ireland - anyone tried making one themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Never saw those before but looking at them online I must say I like them! The slope of the roof is far better than a traditional one so growing space is maximised. If they can stand up to the winds of the Irish climate then I would definitely consider one if it was the right price.
    The only drawback that i can see is that getting shelving to fit it may be hard but i imagine there are probably companies making curved ones for these?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Supercell wrote: »
    Never saw those before but looking at them online I must say I like them! The slope of the roof is far better than a traditional one so growing space is maximised. If they can stand up to the winds of the Irish climate then I would definitely consider one if it was the right price.
    The only drawback that i can see is that getting shelving to fit it may be hard but i imagine there are probably companies making curved ones for these?

They were on display and also on sale at Bloom 2012 and Bloom 2013.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

What do you think of these dome greenhouses?
    A few places making them in Ireland - anyone tried making one themselves?

love the shape of them -very pleasing to look at but not sold on the practicalities of them.

I don't know what the cost would be if making your own but the cost of a purchased one is quite steep.....the biggest issue I have is in terms of heat absorption/ventilation, as the models that use polycarbonate sheeting get EXTREMELY hot in any kind of half decent weather and I have not seen any manufacturer address this issue with any success to date.

these guys are in Galway:
    http://www.polytunnelsireland.ie/geodomes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

dardevle wrote: »
    love the shape of them -very pleasing to look at but not sold on the practicalities of them.

I don't know what the cost would be if making your own but the cost of a purchased one is quite steep.....the biggest issue I have is in terms of heat absorption/ventilation, as the models that use polycarbonate sheeting get EXTREMELY hot in any kind of half decent weather and I have not seen any manufacturer address this issue with any success to date.

these guys are in Galway:
    http://www.polytunnelsireland.ie/geodomes.html

Wow, those are pretty expensive. Nice though if you can afford it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Some pics of them I took at Bloom 2012.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They look funky but what's the advantage? Where's the vents?

redser7 wrote: »
    They look funky but what's the advantage? Where's the vents?

I suppose internal space is the advantage.....but how you lay it out is another matter.

very little in the way of ventilation - just the door and on some models the addition of a couple of windows at more expense.

could be made fit for purpose (I am currently working on adapting one for propagating/growing) but this will add to the already high cost.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I wonder if something like this;
    bike-dome.jpg
    And some polythene would work?

Pic from http://kiacblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/arts-fest-weekend-art-fair-workshops-demonstrations/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

They look fairly easy to make - this fella sells plans.

http://www.geo-dome.co.uk/domeshop/artsearch.asp?show=all

Apparently you make it out of roughly 2x1 treated timber.
    Its just lots of triangles screwed together.

I suppose the advantage is that a dome is a very strong structure and can withstand winds that could damage a normal polytunnel - and they look cooler than a polytunnel. For vents you can have some of the triangles opening...

I think I might give it a try - hard to choose a design and size though!

Maybe a 4 metre version of this? It's a pentakis dodecahedron dome which is one of the easiest to make because all the triangles are identical.
    The fella reckons you could make one and cover it with horticultural polythene for £100 sterling - can't be bad!

pentakis_highrpo_icon.jpg

Pentakis_chubasco.jpg

interesting project - I would love to be able to follow your progress if you do go ahead with it.

hard to see how it could be done for £100 when you factor in time and materials?

• Advertisement

A 16 foot length of PT 2 x 1 is around 2 75 cents euro in any good builders providers.

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-742-treated-rough-sawn-timber-50mm-x-22mm-48m.aspx

http://www.goodwins.ie/c-48-construction-treated-timber.aspx

You will get the horticultural polythene in the likes of a good agri store/nursery or else NAD.

www.nad.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Kerry_2008

There is a great youtube videos about their construction
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBV1RE3uKvo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZBV1RE3uKvo
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=ZBV1RE3uKvo

Would be really interested to see how you get on, will you update us as you go along?

Yep I'll do that, hopefully will get something done by Christmas time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Yep I'll do that, hopefully will get something done by Christmas time!

I think I'll keep an eye on this too. I was thinking of building a poly tunnel using the black 2" water pipe, braced with treated 2x1, but this looks more interesting. I'd just be concerned with rubbing as there's a lot more contact points - unless each triangle is covered separately?

Each one is covered seperately so if it gets holed hopefully it would just be a matter of unscrewing that triangle to recover it.

Just looking into this some more, and came across this site:
    http://katiecorrell.com/2012/11/09/geodesic-dome/
    Interesting how they create the joints -
    3.jpg
    I'm going to mess around with SolidWorks just to keep my skills fresh. I may just look at 2V domes as there is no cut triangles in the hemisphere. I'll post up if/when I'm done.

Yeah some designs use hubs at the joints, but I can see some disadvantages to that....
    You'd have to spend time making the hubs for a start, plus you would have to cover the entire thing with one sheet of polythene, which I understand would be pretty much impossible to get tight on a dome in one go.

Funny you mentionned Solidworks - never used Solidworks myself but I had a go at drawing a 3d dodecahedron in autocad at the weekend - just about managed it, but got totally stuck after that. Next step would be to "pull out" a pyramid on each pentagonal face to make a pentakis.
    Here's the dwg file if its any good to you -
    http://wikisend.com/download/254064/dodecahedron.dwg

I reckon its well worth the money paying the geodomes.co.uk fella for the plans!

Okay, hope that this might be of help to you. A 2V dome is basically made up of pentagons with only two lengths as per the attached drawing.
    For a radius of 1000m Outside of pentagon = 682.88mm, inside = 609.95mm. I did it that way so it's easily scaled.
    Next step, I might try to use those figures to create weldments of the repeating pentagon (or possibly the equal triangle) and add them together in an assembly. I will also add a relationship between the two measurements so we can change the dimension of one and have it update.
    But don't hold your breath, I've new class plans to prepare ... which I should be doing now ...
    272301.jpg
    For those of you with solidworks who want to know how I got these figures
    • Create a thin feature by rotating an arc, just to get the sphere for reference
    • create a 3D sketch and draw the 5 spokes, making the hub coincident with the arc you drew the thin feature with
    • add the relation "on surface" to each of the ends and an equal length relation to each of the spokes
    • join the ends and add an "equal length" relation to these
    • Draw the two triangles that I have show reaching down to the base of the hemisphere and add the appropriate "equal length" relationships and make sure the base vertices are coincident with the base of the hemisphere.
    There should only be one sol'n to this as shown!
    Alternatively, check this pdf for the maths :eek: http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/BMC6/ps0405/geodesic.pdf

Yikes that Maths is way over my head!

Back of envelope calculation for timber
    Least waste diameter assuming 4.8m 2x1s is 5.2m
    If it was constructed by making up each triangle you'd need 60 lengths of 1.42 and 70 of 1.41. ( that doubles up the base struts so you could reduce the 70 to 60)
    This needs about 44 lengths at about 1.80ea

• Advertisement

...and I can't find the edit button. (Is there a time limit on it? 'cos it's here for this post!)

I made an error setting up the dimensions above, which I only found when trying to make the assembly (in CAD). (assumed incorrectly that two struts were the same length)

here are the correct figures:
    Strut A - 546.53 Strut B - 618.03 (again for 1m radius)
    I'll have to check the figures in my last post too.

I've decided to go ahead and order the plans for the 4 metre version. Looking forward to getting started.

I've decided to go ahead and order the plans for the 4 metre version. Looking forward to getting started.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll leave this thread for your use now. I'm going to continue my cad exercise and will start a new thread over on diy when I get the model finished.
    Happy building :-)

Put a duplicate thread up here to KAGY, plenty will be interested

Just got the plans - 11 pages of drawings and instructions. I think he sent me the 3 metre plan by mistake but I might just make the 3 metre one anyway.
    It would take about 18 lengths of 2x2 treated timber (cut down the middle at the required angle to make ~2x1)

At €3.50 per 4.8 metre length and allowing 2 lengths spare to make a door and an opening window, that would be 3.50x20= €70

You'd also need a couple of lengths of 3x2 for the base and door frame and a sheet of half inch plywood for around the door opening.

Then some horticultural polythene, staples, screws.
    Looks very do-able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good luck with the project lads.
    Keep us informed.
    I'm busy at the moment but this sounds a great project for the coming months.

The polythene can work out pricey. Chap on adverts selling some, might save you a few bob ...
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/polythene-polytunel-greenhouse-polythene/2872377

I reckon it would take 9 linear metres of 6m wide polythene to cover it all including the door. €70 to €80 should do it.

It would take about 18 lengths of 2x2 treated timber (cut down the middle at the required angle to make ~2x1)

You'd also need a couple of lengths of 3x2 for the base and door frame and a sheet of half inch plywood for around the door

Do you have access to a table saw? It'd pretty difficult to get a consistent cut length otherwise. I'm trying to design it with the two pieces flat to each other.

• Advertisement

KAGY wrote: »
    Do you have access to a table saw? It'd pretty difficult to get a consistent cut length otherwise. I'm trying to design it with the two pieces flat to each other.

Don't have a table saw but I have a band saw with a one inch blade so hopefully it'll be up to the job. If the pieces were flat to each other would you have to have compound cuts of some sort at the ends of the struts?

Advertisement