Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst divers in the sport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ashley has got to be the worst, his diving yesterday was pathetic.

List some of the sports worst divers e.g. Ashley Young and Luis Nani.

Well there clearly isn't any bias in your head :rolleyes:

Nani? Afraid not buddy

To encompass a few teams

Young
    Suarez
    Drogba
    Bale
    Gerrard
    Neymar

A **** load of Spanish players
    A **** load of Portugal player
    A **** load of Italians
    A **** load of South Americans
    A **** load of English

Nailz wrote: »
    The worst of the worst would have to be;

Ashley Young
    Luis Suarez
    Fernando Torres
    Steven Gerrard
    Jordi Alaba
    Arjen Robben
    Angel Di Maria
    Franck Ribéry
    Kyle fucking Lafferty
    Neymar Jr.
    Sergio Busquets
    Sergio Ramos
    Gareth Bale

I see you are a man who shares my intense dislike for the bolded player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

kryogen wrote: »
    I see you are a man who shares my intense dislike for the bolded player
    Who doesn't intensely dislike him?? Hateful character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

City fan starts thread to have a go at united players shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ashley Young and Damien Duff are the worst for 'drawing fouls', you just know they're going to ground sometimes, regardless of contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Adam Johnson is fairly keen to hit the deck too.

Nailz wrote: »
    Who doesn't intensely dislike him?? Hateful character.

I remember that, and honestly, in the heat of the moment, not thinking about the consequences.

You would absolutely have to smack him one, he earned it.

AdamD wrote: »
    Ashley Young and Damien Duff are the worst for 'drawing fouls', you just know they're going to ground sometimes, regardless of contact.

And tell me, not just you, people in general, is it just now people realise Young is a diver? I assume its cause they didn't get to see Villa as much as United or they obviously weren't highlighted as much.

He needs to cut it out or at least cut it down, at some stage he is going to cost us by being genuinely impeded but his reputation going against him and missing out on the decision, which could be pivotal in a tight game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ashley has got to be the worst, his diving yesterday was pathetic.

List some of the sports worst divers e.g. Ashley Young and Luis Nani.
    Antonio Valencia is a disgrace also.
    Danny Welbeck, Luis Suarez and Bale.

You will eventually run out of United players. If you continue, it could be a very short thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One of the biggest legends of all time at Chelsea, but there were times when even Chelsea fans tired of Didier Drogba throwing himself around. The guy was built like a nightclub bouncer, yet the slightest of touches sometimes, and he'd be on the ground writhing in agony.

I distinctly remember being at a game in the Bridge where he was REALLY looking for an Academy Award nomination and even the home supporters were going ballistic over his antics.

That said, one of the best players ever to grace Stamford Bridge, a heroic figure in his native land and a scorer of some of the most crucial and vital goals for Chelsea. And on his day, probably the most unplayable centre forward in the League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Actually how could I forget Drogba. For a guy who was a beast he went down so easily.

Actually how could I forget Drogba. For a guy who was a beast he went down so easily.

That's what made his ones so comical/infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Instantly thought of that whole Drogba/Lehmann incident. You just had to laugh though; one's a tank and the other one's a lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Drogba would be the main one for me...also find it strange that his performance against Barcelona a few years back gets praised so much when he spent most of it on his back. Maybe it's ok against certain opposition.

Nani would be another one for me.

And even though he comes from a country which lacks a diving culture and every player is honest Jack the lad Wilshere is fond of throwing himself to the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Noones mentioned Dida??? Alot of players dive but few have the gall to go all the way through to be stretchered off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Daemos wrote: »
    This is the one thing stopping him from being the best player in the world for me

Nonsense. Messi is the best in the world and he dives, despite the myth that he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Drogba would be the main one for me...also find it strange that his performance against Barcelona a few years back gets praised so much when he spent most of it on his back. Maybe it's ok against certain opposition.

Nani would be another one for me.

And even though he comes from a country which lacks a diving culture and every player is honest Jack the lad Wilshere is fond of throwing himself to the ground.

Ah now come on, with jack its he holds onto the ball too long and ends up getting creamed which is very frustrating for the arsenal fans believe me, they all get annoyed with him holding onto it too long getting fouled and the play breaks down, but he doesn't dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Suarez
    Neymar
    Young
    Balotelli - not sure what is considered as dive as people start vague argument about there was a contact BS. He goes down way too easily but since he is a "Character" he never gets called out.
    Di Maria
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard

and many more. If the player goes down for even a small contact, supporters of that club says there was contact and if the opposition player goes down they say it's a dive.

Balotelli just gets fouled a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Surprised people have forgotten Gilardino's vs Celtic.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Surprised people have forgotten Gilardino's vs Celtic.

He's always been bad for it, since he came through at Parma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ah now come on, with jack its he holds onto the ball too long and ends up getting creamed which is very frustrating for the arsenal fans believe me, they all get annoyed with him holding onto it too long getting fouled and the play breaks down, but he doesn't dive.
    I'm a Gunner and I think he does, it's not mentioned as much because its usually outside of the penalty area, he also has a Robbie Keane hand flaps about him

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm a Gunner and I think he does, it's not mentioned as much because its usually outside of the penalty area, he also has a Robbie Keane hand flaps about him

You think he dives? That's strange can't say I noticed it, but maybe I'm been biased, ill have to look closer at this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's so overplayed in this part of the world though. Obviously diving is cheating but can anyone give me a rational explanation why diving is so reprehensible whereas there are yellow cards for cynical defensive fouls that 'you'd take all day long'??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I know he doesn't play anymore.. But the worst player i remember was Jürgen Klinsmann.

We use to slag him that he would dive on the run up to a peno.

Jürgen Klinsmann worst diver ever :D

gosplan wrote: »
    It's so overplayed in this part of the world though. Obviously diving is cheating but can anyone give me a rational explanation why diving is so reprehensible whereas there are yellow cards for cynical defensive fouls that 'you'd take all day long'??

Ye I know what you mean, like when a player brings down a player who is about to set someone up or something, pundits will say that's great play, he will take the card to stop the goal opportunity which is cheating too. Or when a keeper timewastes, its not really frowned upon even though its totally against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You think he dives? That's strange can't say I noticed it, but maybe I'm been biased, ill have to look closer at this one!

I would say he goes down very easy at times, he drops more than dives! I've thought it for a while now if he was winning peno's I think he'd be called out by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Palace chairman looking for straight reds for dives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24105809
    "If preventing a goal-scoring opportunity is a straight red then trying to create one by cheating should be a straight red also," said Parish.

I'd prefer the rules were changed so that a player who concedes a penalty when fouling to prevent a goal scoring opportunity doesn't get a straight red. Outside the box maybe, but a penalty is often a better opportunity than the one prevented by a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Drogba is up there anyway, at times his antics were comical and down right annoying, even for Chelsea fans.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Drogba was ridiculous at times. Always seemed to work as well, no matter how ludicrous it looked refs always seemed to give him the foul

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I can't say I've every noticed Wilshere diving. He is always getting fouled though, due to the way he plays I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Drogba was ridiculous at times. Always seemed to work as well, no matter how ludicrous it looked refs always seemed to give him the foul

Alot of his free kicks were when he'd back into a guy, he'd wait until the ball is close to him and go down or over and he'd get the free, alot fo the time the guy was just stadning up to or trying tocompete with Drogba while he backed in but he was very good at doing it that it looked like defenders were being more physical with him then they were, in fairness it was probably Drogba doing all the pushing and just waiting for that one moment of contact to get a free, of course there was other times he'd go by a fella and with little contact hit the deck, that was less intelligent and blatant cheating all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can't say I've every noticed Wilshere diving. He is always getting fouled though, due to the way he plays I guess.

He tends to get the **** kicked out of him in every game, I definitely wouldn't say hes a diver. He does like a good moan and dance about getting fouled mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

drogba-lehmann-o.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gerrard has cut out all the Stevie Starfish stuff in the last few seasons thankfully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The Israeli keeper (as Kew mentioned) Dudu Aouate was an embarrassment to football when we played them in Lansdowne. I remember him smacking Andy O'Brien in the back of the head and then rolling around on the floor resulting in poor Andy getting a straight red. Even worse was the fact that the red was upheld on appeal.

For West Ham, Vaz Te can be infuriating at times. At times he'll gladly throw himself to the ground in the box when scoring would probably be easier.

I honeslty think retro-spective red cards should be given for dives that the ref missed or awarded penalties for with the ban getting longer for repeat offenders.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I honeslty think retro-spective red cards should be given for dives that the ref missed or awarded penalties for with the ban getting longer for repeat offenders.

Always said this myself. Borderline cases would probably have to be judged in favour of the fouled/diving player, but if players know there's a risk of a ban if it looks obvious, possibly a long one, they'd be less willing to risk it.

Doesn't seem to be any will to tackle it from the higher ups though, who as usual are happy to stick their heads in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Always said this myself. Borderline cases would probably have to be judged in favour of the fouled/diving player, but if players know there's a risk of a ban if it looks obvious, possibly a long one, they'd be less willing to risk it.

Doesn't seem to be any will to tackle it from the higher ups though, who as usual are happy to stick their heads in the sand.

It's funny because so many players and former players go on about how we need to get diving out of sport, but the blindingly obvious solution has never even been close to getting off the ground.

Set up a committee of some kind that reviews all the games, and has the authority to ban players (say 5 games for a dive).

Properly implemented, it would go so far to solve the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A red card for a dive is a dangerous game, it will add further scrutiny on the refs and officials and only lead to the numpties on Sky further enhancing their zoom in, rotate the camera, use that camera that's behind the goal on the keepers water bottle etc. to get a view and scream "how can the ref give that is beyond me". Though obviously that has decreased now Gray is gone, not so much with Alan Smith and Quinn around.

2 of the most blatant high profile dives for me are from the same player. Rivaldo.
    Yes we've all seen the WC 2002, corner kick incident but in THAT game against Liverpool in 2005, he was fouled at the edge of the box (can't remember if it was an actual foul or not), he over-stated the injury, rolled on the floor, got treated, limped off. Then sprinted back on to take the free kick, scored and sprinted off celebrating in front of the Kop. All in all that just made the "take a bow son" goal better.

razorblunt wrote: »
    A red card for a dive is a dangerous game, it will add further scrutiny on the refs and officials and only lead to the numpties on Sky further enhancing their zoom in, rotate the camera, use that camera that's behind the goal on the keepers water bottle etc. to get a view and scream "how can the ref give that is beyond me". Though obviously that has decreased now Gray is gone, not so much with Alan Smith and Quinn around.
    That's why it should be retrospective. As said above, a panel of 5 watching a replay should be able to determine with confidence if they think the player is diving. If they're not confident, no sanction is taken.

Also, only where the ref hasn't caught it in the match. If caught in the match the usual yellow should still apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

NeVeR wrote: »
    I know he doesn't play anymore.. But the worst player i remember was Jürgen Klinsmann.

We use to slag him that he would dive on the run up to a peno.

Jürgen Klinsmann worst diver ever :D

That entire German team around that time was terrible for it.
    Klinssman, Voller, Mattheus even their goalies were known for it.

They have come a long way for the entertainers they are now.

Suarez, while still at Ajax, was already diving more than was good for him. Refs copped on and i think in the end he lost more penalties and free kicks while genuinely having been brought down than he ever "won" by diving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Seaneh wrote: »
    Also, only where the ref hasn't caught it in the match. If caught in the match the usual yellow should still apply.

And if justified, a retrospective ban as well. I understand that they can't really give a red ingame for fear of getting it wrong, but no excuses after the match. A yellow card isn't enough, particularly in game changing moments like the ManYoo/Palace match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

cson wrote: »
    Young's dive was pretty shocking in that he kicked the Palace player to make it happen.
    Are you blind? This just in from David Moyes "I don't want my players diving. It's not what I want. Dikgacoi definitely throws his leg out but Ashley put his leg into his leg."
    Dunno what he said behind closed doors but this doesn't resemble what I saw, or does standing up in the penalty area constitute throwing your leg out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    Nani? Afraid not buddy

Nani was inclined to go down a bit in his younger years at United but nowhere near anyone else mentioned here consistently.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jacool wrote: »
    Are you blind? This just in from David Moyes "I don't want my players diving. It's not what I want. Dikgacoi definitely throws his leg out but Ashley put his leg into his leg."
    Dunno what he said behind closed doors but this doesn't resemble what I saw, or does standing up in the penalty area constitute throwing your leg out?
    I think you bolded the wrong part of the quote there fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I think you bolded the wrong part of the quote there fella.
    I was being facetious.

That was the part that Moyes was "definite" about! So I made him definite.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement