Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst divers in the sport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Suarez still the king. Didn't he feign injury after biting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RasTa wrote: »

Some excellent gifs of him alright, the one where he kid of kung fu flying kicks a guy in the dutch league only to roll away himself in "agony" is particularly amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RasTa wrote: »
    It's not even close, he's head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. There's a few on the continent that would give him a run for his money alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bale is a fucker for it.

heard its something to do with the pace he flies at , that he is more likely to be thrown of balance , than slower mortals - Klinsman had a name for it too, but class player , one of favourite from the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

thebaz wrote: »
    heard its something to do with the pace he flies at , that he is more likely to be thrown of balance , than slower mortals - Klinsman had a name for it too, but class player , one of favourite from the Premiership.

That is Robben's defence too plus the fact he very much tippy toes when he runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ashley Young by a country mile.

Anyone know how many yellow cards he's actually received for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ashley Young by a country mile.

Anyone know how many yellow cards he's actually received for it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24105809

Just the 2 apparently since 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24105809

Just the 2 apparently since 2009.

Cheers.
    Thought it was more myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's only a yellow card offense on the pitch so any retroactive action should be a yellow.

Ultimately it would lead to a lot of 2nd yellows given after the fact and players being given bans for subsequent games.

It's not perfect but a straight red is absurdly harsh. It's ultimately a fairly trivial offence.

Yeah, you're winning a free or penalty when you shouldn't but there's plenty of other actions that result in similar injustices - defenders get away with far more fouls in the box than there are dives that win penalties.

jacool wrote: »
    Are you blind? This just in from David Moyes "I don't want my players diving. It's not what I want. Dikgacoi definitely throws his leg out but Ashley put his leg into his leg."
    Dunno what he said behind closed doors but this doesn't resemble what I saw, or does standing up in the penalty area constitute throwing your leg out?
    Just to refresh your memory as you seem to be disputing that the defender put a leg out to have a go at Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just to refresh your memory as you seem to be disputing that the defender put a leg out to have a go at Moyes.

I'm confused now. Are you trying to defend Young now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

all teams have them.

still though, the Premiership has nothing on Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Biggest diver out there :pac:

I'm confused now. Are you trying to defend Young now?
    Nope. Read the post I quoted and what I said, he was having a go at what Moyes said. I'm defending that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nope. Read the post I quoted and what I said, he was having a go at what Moyes said. I'm defending that.

Ah right. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Busquets is latin for diver

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seaneh wrote: »
    I honeslty think retro-spective red cards should be given for dives that the ref missed or awarded penalties for with the ban getting longer for repeat offenders.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Also, only where the ref hasn't caught it in the match. If caught in the match the usual yellow should still apply.

yellow cards from referees arent going to do anything close to what is needed to eradicate this problem from the game.

I think the referee shouldnt deal with it during the match at all so it doesnt compromise dealing with the issue in retropect. The punishments for players & clubs should be severe and be enough so that players wouldnt dream of trying it and clubs would be pissed if one of their own players got them punished. Its important that both get punished.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ya Young is a diver, maybe the worst I have seen.

Your honesty is refreshing.

every team has a diver. kudos to Moyes for discussing it and if every manager done the same (Rodgers has with Suarez btw) then games would be a more enjoyable and not easily spoiled.

One of the worst diving performances I have ever seen was when Celtic played Porto in the UEFA cup final and Deco was unreal with the diving antics I always held that against him no matter how talented he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

gosplan wrote: »
    It's so overplayed in this part of the world though. Obviously diving is cheating but can anyone give me a rational explanation why diving is so reprehensible whereas there are yellow cards for cynical defensive fouls that 'you'd take all day long'??
    Ye I know what you mean, like when a player brings down a player who is about to set someone up or something, pundits will say that's great play, he will take the card to stop the goal opportunity which is cheating too. Or when a keeper timewastes, its not really frowned upon even though its totally against the rules.

Defenders can get punished for fouling someone they didn't foul. That's analogous to going to prison for a few years because you were framed by an enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That young English fella Tom Daley is pretty shocking at it.

Also Lols at the people wanting red cards for it. How bout we punish the crazy tackles that are missed and injure players first. Callum mcmanamanan (spell) springs to mind from last season. Far worse to tackle in the game IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

764dak wrote: »
    Defenders can get punished for fouling someone they didn't foul. That's analogous to going to prison for a few years because you were framed by an enemy.

Not sure how that answers my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

lordgoat wrote: »
    That young English fella Tom Daley is pretty shocking at it.

Also Lols at the people wanting red cards for it. How bout we punish the crazy tackles that are missed and injure players first. Callum mcmanamanan (spell) springs to mind from last season. Far worse to tackle in the game IMO.
    They've already done that, they introduced retrospective action after that tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I totally get the call for stricter punishments and red cards. Yeah it's harsh but what is present doesn't work.

Ideally done kind of citing tribunal a la rugby.

1st time warning as to future conduct
    2nd time ban
    3rd time longer ban

Etc.

Wouldn't stop all the controversy though. We've seen from Rugby that supporters can argue about 'intent' till the cows come home.

'Yeah but he didn't look down as he stamped his heel into his nuts for the third time'

And all that.

Still, it'd catch the blatant cases and maybe get rid if done if it.

Doing nothing about it would be the most stupid thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Re the Rivaldo vid
    A total embarrassment. I think for some reason, the better the player the worse it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They've already done that, they introduced retrospective action after that tackle.

Unless it has changed for this season. It's not good enough.

The line was 'if the ref takes an action the issue is dealt with' which simply isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dont see the point in having a warning stage. Its cheating and should result in a ban straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Roddy23 wrote: »

Disgusting acting from Rivaldo but a red card it was.

Not sure how that answers my question?

Simple: diving is a worse form of cheating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone remember Keita getting Kaka sent off in the world cup when Brazil took on Ivory Coast?
    Shocking play acting only eclipsed by the low standard of refereeing in that match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I lost all respect (not that I had a whole pile) for Ashley Young when he dived against his old teammates against Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Neymar has to take the award for this. Frustrating that this kid has the whole world in his hands, role model for hundreds of millions, and yet he chooses to fall down at the slightest (if any) contact.

I hope there's not a draught in his house, he wouldn't get anything done.

Case and point... http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/neymar-dive-uru.gif

I'm gonna have to jump on this. Here is a kid who, since he burst onto the scene in Brazil as the most exciting youngster in many a year, has been kicked around football pitches across the world as defenders have gradually realised that, while it may not stop it, it is the only way to slow him down. He's not tall and has a remarkably slim frame, I can honestly say that I can't remember any other play from this generation who gets kicked around so brutally so often and he knows it's coming. Does he go down cheaply every so often? Of course, it's the only way to draw the referees attention to what is going on and to ensure that the kicking is minimized. I also think many Barcelona fans appreciate that so often this season so far when he has been kicked and viciously fouled he has gotten back up pretty damn quick and got on with it. I think he's been nothing but a role model since joining Barcelona.

Simple: diving is a worse form of cheating.

Disagree.

It's worse in terms of it's impact on the game but I fail to see how taking a dive is so morally worse than kicking the backs of someone's legs.

It is very un-British though, isn't it?

No preparation, just turn up and best man on the day wins and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Remember the Bale dive against Villa? That was hilariously bad.

Disagree.

It's worse in terms of it's impact on the game but I fail to see how taking a dive is so morally worse than kicking the backs of someone's legs.

It is very un-British though, isn't it?

No preparation, just turn up and best man on the day wins and all that.

Players from US, Canada and Anglophone Caribbean also dive less than players from other Latin American countries.

I'm gonna have to jump on this. Here is a kid who, since he burst onto the scene in Brazil as the most exciting youngster in many a year, has been kicked around football pitches across the world as defenders have gradually realised that, while it may not stop it, it is the only way to slow him down. He's not tall and has a remarkably slim frame, I can honestly say that I can't remember any other play from this generation who gets kicked around so brutally so often and he knows it's coming. Does he go down cheaply every so often? Of course, it's the only way to draw the referees attention to what is going on and to ensure that the kicking is minimized. I also think many Barcelona fans appreciate that so often this season so far when he has been kicked and viciously fouled he has gotten back up pretty damn quick and got on with it. I think he's been nothing but a role model since joining Barcelona.

Remember a couple of years back when the Classico's got really heated.

There was a few in a row that time.

Madrid found parity by basically kicking Barca off the pitch.

So the next game, Barca came out and just dived and feigned injury at every opportunity. Though there was a few, it was the one that really stood out as having more arguments and handbags than actual football. IIRC, Real had someone sent off and Barca won.

It's not quite like the premiership champions throwing themselves to ground when the newly promoted team comes to visit but I thought Barca were entirely justified.

Players from US, Canada and Anglophone Caribbean also dive less than players from other Latin American countries.

So it's a culture thing.

Funny old world. Rivaldo and Klinsman are scumbags and cheats but Vinnie Jones grabs people by the balls and gets cred for it.

So the next game, Barca came out and just dived and feigned injury at every opportunity. Though there was a few, it was the one that really stood out as having more arguments and handbags than actual football. IIRC, Real had someone sent off and Barca won.

It's not quite like the premiership champions throwing themselves to ground when the newly promoted team comes to visit but I thought Barca were entirely justified.

Sometimes exaggerating injuries and fouls is the only way to actually avoid being seriously injured. Personally I'd rather see Busquets or Neymar occasionally exaggerate an injury rather than suffer a fate similar to Alf-Inge Håland.

What do you think of Muller diving against Faroe Islands to win a penalty and getting a player sent off?

What do you think of Muller diving against Faroe Islands to win a penalty and getting a player sent off?

Cheating basically. No excuse, retrospective punishment.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying that apart from some weird conceptualisation of honour I don't get how diving to win a penalty and getting away with it is necessarily worse than grabbing a handful of shirt to prevent a goal and equally getting away with it.

Funny though. Thinking back, Young gets more **** cause the times he did it last year counted. Like they were always the one that put Utd ahead.

IMO people would talk far less if it was the 4th in a 4-0 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sometimes exaggerating injuries and fouls is the only way to actually avoid being seriously injured. Personally I'd rather see Busquets or Neymar occasionally exaggerate an injury rather than suffer a fate similar to Alf-Inge Håland.

This is nonsense. It seems every bad thing in sport these days seems to have an excuse for why it might happen. The majority of the time a player dives or exaggerates a foul is not to save themselves from injury, it is to cheat an advantage or to get a player unfairly punished.

What was Haaland's fate? Feigning injury or diving cannot save a player from such a high 'tackle' that Keane perpetrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Ashley Young has become the third most booked player in the Premier League for diving.
    The Manchester United winger won a controversial penalty against Crystal Palace at the weekend, but was booked for going to ground too easily earlier on in the clash.
    The card – his third for simulation – leaves him behind only David Bentley and Gareth Bale.
    Bentley, who is currently a free agent, picked up five diving bookings during his time in England’s top flight.
    Bale, though, has the unwelcome record of picking up the most cards for hitting the deck in England.
    The world’s most expensive player, who scored on his Real Madrid debut at the weekend, racked up a staggering seven bookings for simulation during his time at Tottenham Hotspur.
    Young has since been warned about his diving by United boss David Moyes, so it looks unlikely he will overtake Bale’s record – which will be much to the Welshman’s chagrin.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/32360-mufc-young-becomes-third-most-booked-diver.php#.UjdOBcY3vpc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Where does the retrospective action that people want stop?

What happens if a team get relegated from the PL on the last day of the season resulting from a penalty given for a dive?

Are they just told 'Look we know you lost because of cheating, and it will cost your club millions but we have given him a yellow card so lesso learned, and all is well.'?

I know it's an extreme example but a lot of time there will be extra factors to take into consideration rather than just the dive itself.

Corholio wrote: »
    This is nonsense. It seems every bad thing in sport these days seems to have an excuse for why it might happen. The majority of the time a player dives or exaggerates a foul is not to save themselves from injury, it is to cheat an advantage or to get a player unfairly punished.

What was Haaland's fate? Feigning injury or diving cannot save a player from such a high 'tackle' that Keane perpetrated.

I am not saying that all players diving or exaggerating an injury is because they are trying to protect themselves from injury, case in point being Young's dive to try to win a penalty for Man Utd against Crystal Palace. However I am talking about Neymar and I honestly don't think there is any player in the modern game who so regularly has to deal with being kicked so often and so viciously as Neymar does and yes I do believe that more often than not his exaggeration of fouls is one of his only ways of ensuring that he is protected by the referee. I don't want to see the best players kicked out of games and Neymar is one of the very best.

In the post I quoted he gave the example of two Clasico games where th rivalry had become so bitter that the Barcelona players simply had to exaggerate and make an issue of every challenge due to the barbarian tactics of Real Madrid in the previous Clasico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Remember the Bale dive against Villa? That was hilariously bad.

bale-dive.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Blay wrote: »
    bale-dive.gif

priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bale seems to love doing it against Agger.

tumblr_lz0atwxHJD1r8fm3eo1_500.gif

BALE-DIVE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Mario Mandzukic for such a big guy he is always rolling around in agony at any slight touch, can't stand watching him.:mad:

A fate like getting what you deserve? Na just kidding, interesting you choose him though, serious injury? Nope and it hardly ended his career did it which is usually the sentiment when he gets mentioned.

Thatcher/Mendes comes to mind, thugs like Brown and his ilk should be focused on more than the diving **** first imo

Just cause Im in the mood, heres some stuff on the Haland "injury"
    In April 2001, Keane fouled Håland on his right knee, for which he was sent off. Of the incident, Håland said "I'm only glad my leg was off the ground, otherwise he would have done me a lot of damage", although some reports doubted whether it was even the worst tackle of the day

Was he out long after this? Was he ****
    At the time of the Keane's tackle, Håland's left knee was giving him sufficient problems for him to have to play with strapping around it.[9] After the tackle, Håland finished the match and played a midweek friendly for Norway coming off at half-time, and the next league game, coming off in the 68th minute. That summer, he underwent surgery on his left knee, but only managed a further 4 substitute appearances the following season and finally retired in July 2003 after failing to recover full fitness. Håland was originally contracted with Manchester City till the end of the 2004–05 season, but in his contract it was stated that City could terminate the contract if medical conditions indicates that he couldn't play first-team football again, and decided to use this option.

Following the release of Keane's autobiography in 2002, Håland and Manchester City stated that they intended to take legal action against Keane. However, it emerged that Håland had already admitted on his personal website that he had been playing with the injury to his left knee a few months, that it did not receive a knock in the game, and that Keane did not cause his injury. Legal action was dropped in February 2003 after the club reviewed the medical advice

Any chance that will stop the bull**** Keane ended his career brigade? No, didn't think so but sure we persevere

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    bale-dive.gif

No, you see he runs so fast that he sometimes loses his balance and some other mumbo jumbo

Advertisement