Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud Dokter a solution to Ireland's football problems?

• 15-09-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Do you think Ruud Dokter can do anything to solve Ireland's footballing results ? Going Dutch always gets a laugh out of me but to be honest I personally think the fact that we don't play the ball on the ground for 100% of our time trying to complete passes, as being one of the major problems in the Ireland team.

Ruud Dokter replaced another Dutchman AFAIK who was perplexed that we didn't have a footballing system in place for players to use. It's not rocket science but is a bit tricky for the players, manager and supporters. There are both positives and negatives compared to the traditional approach of using physical strengths of the players but Ireland needs to change.

When Trap was in charge you could pick the formation without question, 4-4-2. That meant zero tactics for the 90 minutes. Same with every other Irish manager. We can't keep using the same formation. The dutch do 4-3-3 well with a lot of running & passes to keep things ticking over constructively. I know they have down sides but it is still better football and more effective.

Ireland in effect plays like British sides and no matter how reassuring that is for players and managers its terrible to watch and not very entertaining or ground breaking. Ireland either has to wait for the British sides to change and copy then or adopt the continental way of playing straightaway. Its a big culture change though, if you take a continental football system and apply it to Ireland the players would have to drill themselves enough just to play it without mistakes.

There is the perceived problem of huge lulls in the game when you just knock the ball around, using a football system has to be completely championed in order for it to be really successful. If you were to sit down with the Irish players and go through playing a system which they would have to adhere to completely might prove a bit of a turn off.

A lot of the Irish players have said that such an approach has worked very well for big countries but it doesn't work here. It would require an awful lot from the Irish players just to complete the same effective result as using their physical attributes.

Its not really about where the players are on the pitch though, its really the technical ability they have and what way the team in general is set up. Hopefully Ruud Dokter can introduce something to break the Irish plays in two. So instead of making one direct play with the ball ( like long ball ) its broken up into a smaller play where players can change things around on their side before completing the play.

The other part of the underage set up is an academy where the best players in Ireland can get the best training both for them and for Ireland. The only thing is who would pay ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Irish football is so intertwined with British football that the sentence 'Ireland plays like British sides' is meaningless, in football terms we are a British side. Our culture of football is firmly implanted in British football culture. We need to form a distinct identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well one man isn't going to make it happen.

It's the coaches who have been taught the correct way who will make the real difference. We don't have the number of qualified coaches to make the necessary changes that Ruud Dokter will want to implement never mind the coaches who aren't worrying about winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Mars Bar wrote: »

It's the coaches who have been taught the correct way who will make the real difference. We don't have the number of qualified coaches to make the necessary changes that Ruud Dokter will want to implement never mind the coaches who aren't worrying about winning.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/operation-dokter-new-performance-director-sets-out-irish-plan-29649183.html

I see he has a vision and a long term plan. I guess nothing will change over night but I think his appointment is probably more important than the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mars Bar wrote: »

This.

Problem with Irish football stems deeper though although hearing that Schoolboy football is being taken away from full size pitches etc is good start. I hope it continues.

This.

Problem with Irish football stems deeper though although hearing that Schoolboy football is being taken away from full size pitches etc is good start. I hope it continues.

Asking underage kids to play full size pitches/matches is ridiculous. The best youngsters should play together by right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

ireland play like a british side cos we have players playing in england and scotland (and one in the usa). ireland have players born in the northern ireland, scotland and england playing for us. people say we need our own irish identity in how we play....ah yes lets get a dutchman to do it:pac:

i dont care who plays for us, who manages us, who teaches us how to play, just as long as we can compete, win and qualify!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is that a joke name???

"There's fúck all wrong with you now get out of my surgery and stop wasting my time!!!"

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I said a few weeks back we should get his mate Bert who led the dutch to the world cup final in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I said a few weeks back we should get his mate Bert who led the dutch to the world cup final in 2010.

We wont be getting him now, he's signed on as manager of Hamburg.

I'm still hoping for Hiddink to appointed.

The next manager won't make much of a difference to be honest. We need something else coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

As a director or as the Ireland manager?

The Irish senior set up so far removed from what is trying to be done at grassroots level that there is no point even talking about it to be honest!
    aindriu80 wrote: »
    The next manager won't make much of a difference to be honest. We need something else coming through.

Yes. It's going to take a while before we see the effects that Dokter will have that I'd say the next manager will have come and gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I don't know if he can help, but I prefer my doctors to be pleasant

Advertisement