Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northwood pool Vs Ballymun pool

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Well next month I'm moving back to the parents and have to find a new pool to swim in. Pretty much narrowed it down to these two pools. Anyone here have any experience of swimming in either? Know how busy they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive never swam in Ballymun but have used Northwood now for the last 4 years or so. It has three laned sections with a "self regulating" policy. There are some serious tools (people just barely not drowning who dont let you through) but by and large i get my swims done unaffected. At most id have 2 others in a lance but generally just one who i can swim around. I try to swim early Mon/Wed/Fri but find that i can swim Fri evening after work as its generally quiet then. Late seems to be a good quiet time too (the last 90mins before closing). For the price i paid i cant really fault it. My memberships is up at the end of this month though and if i am going to be living where i am now i'll be thinking about the aquatic centre as ive developed an allergy to chlorine which forces me to use a nose clip which i hate! I may be moving though and if so ill be rejoining.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Ballymun is a nice pool with nice changing facilities etc BUT they say they try to have the two lanes set aside for lenghts when there is not something on in the pool like aqua arobics but this isn't always the case. I've gone out days to the allocated lane swimming time to be met with grandad's teaching their grandkids how to swim, teenagers playing football in the lanes. The lanes are not greatly enforced. In the end i gave up on it because it was a pain driving there if I then had to dodge people. Maybe use it as a pay as you go but i wouldn't pay the membership fee.

I've never been to northwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Is DCU an option? Can't be far out of your way if the other two are possibilities. Not sure what rates are like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers lads, I'll have a look at DCU, if it works would be the most handy. Will mainly swimming before 8 in the morning. Hopefully I can find somewhere not too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

I'm in Northwood and only use it for the pool. Monday evenings can be busy. Was there last night and had the lane to myself for most of the time.
    You sometimes have people who are not aware of swim etiquette which can be a little annoying especially if you are swimming off times.
    I have no issue with the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

When i mention the chlorine issue i should clarify it happens to me in every pool which uses chlorine. Nothing wrong with Northwood's. Heading there now and hoping its quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've swam in DCU, Northwood and Ballymun.

Ballymun is not a "real" swimming pool. Its a place to go and splash around. You will get frustrated trying to swim there.

DCU is a real swimming pool, is clean and is nice. I'd look more into the frequency of lanes being rented out. i.e. are you always guaranteed a lane. Also quite a few zimmers in here.

Northwood - where I "swim". Can be rather busy, no sense of etiquette. Loads of angry old people. I've had quite a few experiences of "hairy breast stroke" (where a swim suit does not "contain" a female breast stroker). Its irritating as fvck, not that clean in the dressing rooms and they are stingy with the hot water in the showers. However as Bambatta has said - for the price you can't go wrong. I would like to get a squad session going there as that would make things easier. 5-6 in a lane doing the same set and pretty quick the lane is yours. Also fly is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I know the NAC is a little out of the way for you Joey but it's hard to beat at around €290 swim only membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Will have a look at it Ray, only issue might be herself is looking for a gym and classes too. Narrows it down a bit, but I'll check it out, cheers.

joey100 wrote: »
    Will have a look at it Ray, only issue might be herself is looking for a gym and classes too. Narrows it down a bit, but I'll check it out, cheers.

Mrs Tunney (and my sister) both like the classes in Northwood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Has anybody here ever tried the Sportslink pool just up the road from Northwood?

PWEI wrote: »
    Has anybody here ever tried the Sportslink pool just up the road from Northwood?

I looked at it and nearly joined then discovered you could only use it for half an hour every second day (exaggeration but limited use as clubs use it a lot)

Advertisement