Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Vegas to San Fran via La

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 khris inda pink

Hi a small tip for others looking at this if your driving in to vegas (we bussed it ) do it at night much better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

grange mac wrote: »
    Want to see the giant trees so am I better going 101 or 1?

Second Q, where should i stay overnight between Santa Monica and San Fran?

Thanks guys...leaving here on sun so any replies asap plz!!

Take Highway One. Dont take highway 101, its just a freeway, nothing to see! Do you only have one night on the way to SF?

Highway 1 is the really scenic road along the coast. Leave early though because after Morro Bay its a long winding cliff road, stunning scenery but quite slow. If its after about 3 in the afternoon its better to stay the night and do it the next day honestly.

(Dont be tempted to take highway 101 though, you'll really miss you.)

You can stay in Monterey. There's plenty of motels/hotels there, you wont need to book in advance. And then its an easy drive to SF the next day.

There's giant redwoods in Santa cruz county which is further north on highway one on the way to SF. Ask at your hotel in Monterey, they'll know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

grange mac wrote: »
    Got the hang of the automatic after few min....went with a dodge standard car...vegas was fab drove from vegas to santa monica...not a hope without a satnav!! Got us to 6 flags today....great spot but only open fri-sun...

Want to see the giant trees so am I better going 101 or 1?

Second Q, where should i stay overnight between Santa Monica and San Fran?

Thanks guys...leaving here on sun so any replies asap plz!!

Yup, easy to miss where the 1 and 101 diverge. SatNav is a must. To repeat InTheTrees, you just have to take the 1/PCH; To not do it is almost criminal. The scenery is spectacular but the road is challenging in parts, especially north of San Simeon. Allow another 20ish minutes due to roadworks and their single lane contraflows. Don't drive it at night due to scenery and safety.

San Simeon is another spot you could stop at with loads of motels and plentyof people doing the PCH trip gathering at the San Simeon Bar and Grill at night. It's also right beside Hearst Castle (try to book in advance). It's pretty much the half way point on that stretch.

Enjoy!

tricky D wrote: »
    San Simeon is another spot you could stop at with loads of motels and plentyof people doing the PCH trip gathering at the San Simeon Bar and Grill at night. It's also right beside Hearst Castle (try to book in advance). It's pretty much the half way point on that stretch.

Enjoy!

This is a good plan. Get an early start the next day though.

And set the gps for this place for a stop:

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

DO you have a reservation in SF? Its quite a long days drive from San Simeon to SF. It is forgivable (but you'll miss more spectacular scenery) to cut over to 101 by Monterey, that'll get you into SF in a couple of hours, while staying on hwy1 will take much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Take Highway One. Dont take highway 101, its just a freeway, nothing to see! Do you only have one night on the way to SF?

Highway 1 is the really scenic road along the coast. Leave early though because after Morro Bay its a long winding cliff road, stunning scenery but quite slow. If its after about 3 in the afternoon its better to stay the night and do it the next day honestly.

(Dont be tempted to take highway 101 though, you'll really miss you.)

You can stay in Monterey. There's plenty of motels/hotels there, you wont need to book in advance. And then its an easy drive to SF the next day.

There's giant redwoods in Santa cruz county which is further north on highway one on the way to SF. Ask at your hotel in Monterey, they'll know.

Thank you, plan is to tell herself im leaving @10 am tomor morn...with or without her...then Ill know i will be on the road by 11. Going to stay in monetry and have 2 nights budgeted to get to san fran so have time to see those giant redwoods.

• Advertisement

Good plan. One night in San Simeon and one night in Monterey would make it a relaxed drive.

There's an amazing Aquarium in Monterey.

Have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

Drive over...stayed in monterey 2nights...fab scenery around in esp in pebble beach area..well worth visit. Note to anyone travelling 1 North...buy a map as didnt know 1 and 101 merge and de merge along this route...in my case when 1 ended spent hour looking for it only for askn would be still looking for it.
    Its good drive but def need 2 days if doing my route.

Advertisement