Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Computer Society

Options
  • 16-09-2013 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

Im just wondering if anyone got their skills assessed by the ACS?

If so what was the process? Im reading the website but im getting a little confused.

Also what was the occupation that you were going under?

Thanks,
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AGT

To apply for "an expression of interest" you need to have ACC credit you first.
    Prove you are an I.T Professional.
    This overall process can be confusing but the website is very good.
    You need to have your documents and degree transcripts stamped by a solicitor.
    Do this then scan then to your computer and upload them.
    They pay and wait. I am currently waiting...

Online application part of the website.
    Chose below if you are not using an agent.

Online Application

For Individual Skills Assessment Applications - Online Application Form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

As an add on here, I fall into a number of computer occupations, should your tailor your application to occupations that have not reached there quota ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

AGT wrote: »
    To apply for "an expression of interest" you need to have ACC credit you first.
    Prove you are an I.T Professional.
    This overall process can be confusing but the website is very good.
    You need to have your documents and degree transcripts stamped by a solicitor.
    Do this then scan then to your computer and upload them.
    They pay and wait. I am currently waiting...

Online application part of the website.
    Chose below if you are not using an agent.

Online Application

For Individual Skills Assessment Applications - Online Application Form

They can also be signed by a Justice of the Peace. Takes a couple of minutes.

This is the doco I had to send.

Certified copy of passport details page(colour scan preferred)
    CV
    Certified copy of birth certificate (colour scan preferred) (optional but preferred)
    University Testamur (certified copy – colour scan preferred)
    University Transcript of all years (certified copy – colour scan preferred)
    Diploma Testamur (certified copy – colour scan preferred)
    Diploma Transcript (certified copy – colour scan preferred)
    Employment reference in for every relevant job in ACS format(certified copy – colour scan preferred)
    Certs for any relevant courses attended (think these were certified too).

6541 wrote: »
    As an add on here, I fall into a number of computer occupations, should your tailor your application to occupations that have not reached there quota ?

Happened me too. I picked one that was the most relevant to the day to day stuff.

Yes the most relevant to the code you apply for.

I only submitted my documents two days ago but i got word back straight away asking for more documents.

I am really annoyed as it took me ages to get them together.

The lady said they didn't receive my degree and the employment reference.
    I quized her on this as i had the document uploaded in colour and certified and the correct size.
    I also re uploaded the document.

She just send back a generic email today saying i need to follow all points in the employment reference.
    I guess the one i missed was listing my duties ect on the reference but i thought my attached cv and job description would make that obvious but obviously not. No problem i will re do it. sigh!

So in summary i have to re do my reference with bullet point duties and responsibilities and get it certified again and uploaded.

I cant for the life of me wonder whats wrong with my certified degree transcript.
    It is the last year of my degree. Only thing i can think of it is that the other years are not listed.
    So i need to get onto my college again and get the cert and the diploma and upload it.

I just wish she would tell me exactly what i need and not a generic email.
    I am committed to this but its just a nightmare.

Ow ye and i cant delete or edit anything on the site. I can only add more documents.

Anyone having similar trouble??

@Raddaboutye

whats a testumar?
    did you upload these docs or send them physically?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 wd42

I had to go the RPL route for System and Network engineer. Took me 2/3 months to complete the RPL and a couple of weeks to gather the remaining information, references etc..

I lodged the application in June and wasn't expecting a result until September.

Got the result back within 3 weeks which I found astonishing as most people in forums were saying it took 3/4 months.

I passed the skills assessment but I am now left in a difficult situation. With the RPL 8 years of experience are equivalent to a degree but this reduces your post qualified experience by the 8 years. (hope that makes sense)

So, I have 17 years IT experience. My first 6 years were not counted as relevant to "System & network engineer", 8 years required to pass the RPL which leaves me with 3 years post qualified experience. This means I can gain 5 points towards the visa (10 points available if you have 5+ years). This leaves me short on the points test and when I have the 5 years experience to gain the 10 points I will lose points for my age.

Looks like I'll be staying in sunny Ireland :-)

Yes the most relevant to the code you apply for.

I only submitted my documents two days ago but i got word back straight away asking for more documents.

I am really annoyed as it took me ages to get them together.

The lady said they didn't receive my degree and the employment reference.
    I quized her on this as i had the document uploaded in colour and certified and the correct size.
    I also re uploaded the document.

She just send back a generic email today saying i need to follow all points in the employment reference.
    I guess the one i missed was listing my duties ect on the reference but i thought my attached cv and job description would make that obvious but obviously not. No problem i will re do it. sigh!

So in summary i have to re do my reference with bullet point duties and responsibilities and get it certified again and uploaded.

I cant for the life of me wonder whats wrong with my certified degree transcript.
    It is the last year of my degree. Only thing i can think of it is that the other years are not listed.
    So i need to get onto my college again and get the cert and the diploma and upload it.

I just wish she would tell me exactly what i need and not a generic email.
    I am committed to this but its just a nightmare.

Ow ye and i cant delete or edit anything on the site. I can only add more documents.

Anyone having similar trouble??

@Raddaboutye

whats a testumar?
    did you upload these docs or send them physically?
    thanks

Testumar is the document everyone gets when they graduate. University of X blah blah blah hereby gives a Bachelor of Science with x honours to Raddaboutye having completed a course of studies in Computer Science. Signed by the vice chancellor or someone like that.

All mine was done through an agent provided by work so he told me what to send (the list from above). I wasn't going to send my originals to him as you may not get them back so I took the original and a photocopy to a justice of the peace, got them to certify that it was a true copy, scanned in the copy and sent it to the agent.

I found the entire document gathering to be a complete pain in the backside to be honest. I had lost a lot of stuff so I had to contact the university to post out documentation again. Same with references from old employers. I feel your pain on the generic email. Try and stick to that list I posted and you should be fine. I provided everything in that list and never heard back from the agent so it must have been sweet. If you have any questions then give me a shout.

wd42 wrote: »
    I had to go the RPL route for System and Network engineer. Took me 2/3 months to complete the RPL and a couple of weeks to gather the remaining information, references etc..

I lodged the application in June and wasn't expecting a result until September.

Got the result back within 3 weeks which I found astonishing as most people in forums were saying it took 3/4 months.

I passed the skills assessment but I am now left in a difficult situation. With the RPL 8 years of experience are equivalent to a degree but this reduces your post qualified experience by the 8 years. (hope that makes sense)

So, I have 17 years IT experience. My first 6 years were not counted as relevant to "System & network engineer", 8 years required to pass the RPL which leaves me with 3 years post qualified experience. This means I can gain 5 points towards the visa (10 points available if you have 5+ years). This leaves me short on the points test and when I have the 5 years experience to gain the 10 points I will lose points for my age.

Looks like I'll be staying in sunny Ireland :-)

Did you exhaust all options for points? English test? Certs?

@Raddaboutye

Thanks for the info.

I have finally completed all my documents.

It is a real pain in the ***.
    I had to get onto the HETAC awards body to request a copy of my parchment (a degree copy, not same as a transcript). 65 plus solicitor signing and register post.
    I also had to re do the reference add in my roles and also get it signed by the solicitors.

Once you submit something you can not change it so anyone reading this should take note.
    I stupidly added a job from like 10 years ago and uploaded my c.v. I think they may want a reference from this.
    As if I can go back to that job now.
    I submitted the updated reference and also the parchment.
    So now I will wait and see what they say.
    Hope I get it so I can crack on with my EOI.

Hopefully I'll be surfing the ozzy waves this time next year with this all behind me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

6541 wrote: »

if you're considering state sponsorship then make sure you select the occupation that matches your sponership choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I sent a copy of teh template to the HR departments of my former employers asking them to fill it out that way. most obliged some asked me to give them the info and they would put it on teh reference.

your transcript should cover all years of that course. So if you did 2 year cert them moved to say year 3 of a 3 year dimploma then your dimploma transcript may only include that last year, same with your degree. so it might be best to include all transcripts.

btw you can get your GP to witness them too it might be cheaper than a lawyer

Advertisement