Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Songs for Male Singer

• 16-09-2013 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im a guy who likes to sing, with or without a guitar. I also love to sing as gaeilge if I can help it.

I usually do Raglan Road/Auld Triangle/Parting Glass/Ghleanntain Ghlas Gaoth Dobhair/Moll Dubh a Ghleanna etc. but I'd love to extend my repertoire.

What I'm looking for are songs suitable for a guy to sing, preferably in Irish but will take any suggestions.

If they can jerk a tear thats good, upbeat songs also welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Mo Ghile Mear
    Bruach na carraige báine
    Ar éirinn ní neosfainn cé hí
    The Maid from Cabra West

That'll do for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Kilkelly Ireland
    Caledonia
    The Sick Note
    Now I'm Easy (Eric Bogle)
    County Bondi (Liam Byrne) a modern tale of emigration
    Siúl a Rún

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

The Dutchman (Liam Clancy or Steve Goodman) is always a nice song, not often heard, but everyone knows the chorus.
    For songs suited to a male voice, check out Sean Keane's recordings.
    Another nice one is Freemantle Bay.
    Good version here from the Sunday session in Brazen Head if you don't know it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7IDR5hp4Y

Marin De Barra ( Seamus Begley does a nice version), but only suitable for an attentive audience.

Travelling People (The Johnsons) also nice.

Depends on the crowd you are singing to but it is great to hear someone who avoids the standard ballads.

Advertisement