Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I was duped into signing permission to switch gas supply by field sales rep!

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

15-9-2013
    On last Friday evening an electric ireland sales rep came to my door, and I told him that I was happy with my current gas supplier and that I had no wish to switch. He seemed to accept my statement but went on to tell me a story about new EU competition laws which insist that bord gais and electric ireland have to be more competitive, and as a way of starting this process electric ireland are running a promotional campaign to give all bord gais customers a €25 credit on their bill. Perhaps I was a little naive, (but it was Friday evening and I had not had my dinner at that point), so I decided to sign the form which he presented to me. Later after I had my dinner I had a closer look at the two sheet copy of the form and to my surprise and shock, I found that I had signed an agreement to switch my gas supplier to electric ireland. I believe that in order to build his sales figures your field rep had grossly misrepresented what he was offering/asking me to sign.
    Please advise me as a matter of urgency how I can cancel my agreement, which I believe it is my right to do, under the consumers rights bill.?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

shiftkey wrote: »
    15-9-2013
    On last Friday evening an electric ireland sales rep came to my door, and I told him that I was happy with my current gas supplier and that I had no wish to switch. He seemed to accept my statement but went on to tell me a story about new EU competition laws which insist that bord gais and electric ireland have to be more competitive, and as a way of starting this process electric ireland are running a promotional campaign to give all bord gais customers a €25 credit on their bill. Perhaps I was a little naive, (but it was Friday evening and I had not had my dinner at that point), so I decided to sign the form which he presented to me. Later after I had my dinner I had a closer look at the two sheet copy of the form and to my surprise and shock, I found that I had signed an agreement to switch my gas supplier to electric ireland. I believe that in order to build his sales figures your field rep had grossly misrepresented what he was offering/asking me to sign.
    Please advise me as a matter of urgency how I can cancel my agreement, which I believe it is my right to do, under the consumers rights bill.?
    Thank you.

Ring them..

Don't go on about your consumer rights, its absolutely nothing to do with that at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Hi Field-dog,
    Pardon me but what has this got to do with you?
    And you comments have exposed the fact that you really don't know anything about 'consumer rights' !
    But thanks anyway,
    Shiftkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

shiftkey wrote: »
    Hi Field-dog,
    Pardon me but what has this got to do with you?
    And you comments have exposed the fact that you really don't know anything about 'consumer rights' !
    But thanks anyway,
    Shiftkey.
    You ask for advice on what to do, you are given advice on what to do...

Of course I know about consumer rights, having worked in that area for years, not that you would know....

Why are you leaving messages on my profile may I ask???

I assume you are fairly new to boards so I will let that slide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeah like the last poster said you should ring them asap and sort it out.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Double posted so closing this one - Electric Ireland have responded on the other thread here: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057040246

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement