Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly pregnant in Canada

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,
    I'm hoping someone out there could help me. I've just discovered I'm pregnant using home pregnancy kit. I have not gone to a doctor yet. The issue we're facing is that we have just arrived in BC so I have not worked therefore do not qualify for medicare. My travel insurance does not cover pregnancy.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    I have been reading about the cost of pregnancy and it can range between 6000-10000 just for the birth alone. We do not have this.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Advice: Spend a few months enjoying Canada, then go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 morecon

That's not an option but thanks

We are hear on a two year visa. It would be great to hear from anyone who has gone through this or knows of someone else who has gone through.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I'm pretty sure even if you take out insurance here it will have a clause saying you can't fall pregnant within the first x number of months. I think the only option available is to pay out of your own pocket. I could be wrong but I can't see what other option is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Move to Alberta. Free healthcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I would have your child in Canada and not go home (chances are you are going to pay for the birth in Ireland also). Your child you will be lucky to get a full Canadian passport by birth and of course have an EU passport since you are Irish. See having your child in Canada as an investment in your child's future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tinyfox

Hi morecon, once ye have lived in BC for 3 months, ye have to get MSP, info here, which works out to $116 a month for a couple. Once you have that you are entitled to doctor visits, hospital stays, maternity care etc. A lot of jobs over here pay some or all of the MSP for it's employees as part of it's benefits package so ye might get it paid through your other half's job but if not at least it's better than forking out a few grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

I found this link.....

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/msp_register.html#appEligibility

I hope it is helpful to you. I'm in Ontario so my knowledge of BC healthcare is nil. Good luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jean Toews

You are just newly pregnant. You have nine months to do something eg. find a job. If your partner gets a job, you are also covered by health care if you were living common law for 1 + years.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

As ibh mentioned you could move to Alberta. We are living in Calgary and find the health care brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

We had our daughter in Edmonton. Only thing we had to pay for was 2 nights in the hospital which came to $45 altogether. The healthcare was brilliant and would highly recommend it.

If you are on an IEC and just arrived look for jobs in Alberta and relocate would be your best bet. Otherwise the MSP is the way to go. Saskatchewan also has free health care after 3 months if you are willing to include it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement