Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fish + Chips in Tramore?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Heading to Tramore next weekend and as its a seaside town I presume there are some decent chippers with fresh fish? Whats the best one?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Dooleys

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

Pj! wrote: »
    Dooleys

Dooleys down at the beach. Not too fond of the one up town

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I always go to Massimos whenever I get chips in Tramore. I dislike Doolys because you order your food and 20 seconds later its ready(no matter what you get). It seems that a lot of their food is pre-prepared and held in hot boxes until needed. Massimos isn't like that, it seems to be freshly made.

I think this was discussed in an earlier thread too, might be easy to find if you scroll down or go back over the recent pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Mc Carthy's down the opposite end of the prom to Dooley's. Beside the Sandcastle shop.... End of!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Mugser wrote: »
    Mc Carthy's down the opposite end of the prom to Dooley's. Beside the Sandcastle shop.... End of!!!!!!!!!!

+1 for me.

Always thought Dooleys on the Prom was great but ended up in McCarthys when the queue was huge at Dooleys and never went back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

McCarthy's is gorgeous alright, but they only open during the summer.

Massimos is very nice, lovely chicken also!

Tony's up on the main street also.

:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Sully wrote: »
    McCarthy's is gorgeous alright, but they only open during the summer.

Massimos is very nice, lovely chicken also!

Tony's up on the main street also.

:
    I agree 100% with that!

Went to Tony's a year or two back to get a bit of grub for myself and the youngfella, he wanted a burger with just ketchup to eat, so the food was prepared, bagged and into the car we jumped and drove home (circa 10min drive) My grub was grand but when the youngfella opened his 'burger' there was no meat in it, just a burger bun with ketchup in it :eek: So back down I went to hopefully rectify the situation as quickly as possible. In to the counter, reciept and 'burger' in hand and expressed my issue to the guy who served me that it was a meatless burger, to which he said: "Yeah, that's what you asked for. A burger with just ketchup. That's the way we do them" When I explained to him that what he had given me amounted to the same as 2 slices of toast with a splash of ketchup between them he said what I should have asked for was "a burger with no onions" :confused::confused:
    Right so, give me one of those! Which he then prepared but then tried to charge me for it.
    Haven't been back since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mugser wrote: »
    Went to Tony's a year or two back to get a bit of grub for myself and the youngfella, he wanted a burger with just ketchup to eat, so the food was prepared, bagged and into the car we jumped and drove home (circa 10min drive) My grub was grand but when the youngfella opened his 'burger' there was no meat in it, just a burger bun with ketchup in it :eek: So back down I went to hopefully rectify the situation as quickly as possible. In to the counter, reciept and 'burger' in hand and expressed my issue to the guy who served me that it was a meatless burger, to which he said: "Yeah, that's what you asked for. A burger with just ketchup. That's the way we do them" When I explained to him that what he had given me amounted to the same as 2 slices of toast with a splash of ketchup between them he said what I should have asked for was "a burger with no onions" :confused::confused:
    Right so, give me one of those! Which he then prepared but then tried to charge me for it.
    Haven't been back since.

I'd have thought it was common sense what you wanted. You just had bad look with the chap on the counter is all. I have been buying food from Tony's for years and found the food, service and the staff bang on.

I'd have thought it was common sense what you wanted. You just had bad look with the chap on the counter is all. I have been buying food from Tony's for years and found the food, service and the staff bang on.

I thought so too, It's not my decision not to go back, the youngfella's afraid of a repeat performance is all. Anything for a quiet life:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Thanks for the advice folks. I got there and Friday evening and avoided Doolys and headed straight to Massimos. The fish was top quality and loved the chips. Then on Saturday I headed to McCarthys, the fish was out of this world. Probably the best I ever had in a chipper, but their chips were not as good as Massimos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dooley's slice their chips into potato wedge sizes, they are stink.
    I'm going with maccarthy's too.
    massimo's are lovely too, by god you get some load of chips with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

What about Cunninghams ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

razor_ryan wrote: »
    What about Cunninghams ?

They sold up about 8/9 years ago! It's Dooly's now.

Some guy paid top dollar to acquire what was a premium brand, then proceeded to edge out the local kids who worked there, and started horsing out crap food because he used inferior oil, spuds and meat.

Ran the place into the ground within a year, and eventually Dooly's took the place over (probably for a song relative to what the Cunninghams sold for)...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

Would have to disagree bout one member of staff in Tony's, love Tony's food and never had a problem with the guy serving or one of the girls, but their is a certain girl that takes the order and have to say myself and my friends find her manner atrocious no please thank you change thrown back At you, but can't fault the food and would highly Recommend massimos the wait is worth it,everything is fresh and the staff very pleasant , plus dooleys on the prom would highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i see massimo's is for sale!! tried linking the page but if you want to check it out go to www.griffinauctioneers.com click residential sales and scroll to very bottom of page and its there!! i also noticed while out there earlier today that its closed???

Not long closed, I only got food there a few weeks ago. Shame to see it go, always enjoyed their chips. Was disappointed they stopped doing Pizzas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

tramore is basically a one chipper town as dooleys just can't be competed with, the worst thing the owner of massimo's did was to sell tonys when he had it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

I was in massimo's last week and they had a sign up saying they were going on holidays and re-opening in two weeks time.

I was in massimo's last week and they had a sign up saying they were going on holidays and re-opening in two weeks time.

Maybe its possible that the building is being sold, but the tenants are not being impacted. Sell the building as is, but the lease continues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Maybe its possible that the building is being sold, but the tenants are not being impacted. Sell the building as is, but the lease continues?

I work there, its been up for sale since they bought it, doesn't mean they are going to sell it though, just to get offers I guess.

Also its not closed down, they are gone back home for two weeks, they will be open again on the 23rd :)

Advertisement