Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debussy

Options
  • 16-09-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm thinking of doing a dissertation on Debussy and his influences . Im thinking of zoning in on his preludes . Can anyone give advice or maybe point out some handy books ?! i currently have a book titles "the music of Debussy" but would obviously need more Thanks for your help :):D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ejsledge

Debussy had more influence on more musicians than anyone ! His style was almost totally new and made a big impression and influence on whoever encountered it. He had great influence on Stravinsky, among others. Stravinsky acknowledged Debussy's influence in the Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring) and only Debussy's - the rest was pure imagination and intuition - according to Stravinsky. And you can hear that influence in other of Stravinky's early works (like the Firebird). The "impressionistic" quality of Debussy's style and his orchestration techniques dominated western classical music for decades. I don't know of any particular sources for study other than the music itself and the music of others who seemed to emulate the style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Do you have a supervisor yet? :-) they'll set you on the right way. Where are you studying by the way?

LOVE Debussy. People often cite Schoenberg as the main innovator of the 20th century, but for me Debussy blows him out of the water. Personal opinion of course. :-)

What aspect if the preludes would you fancy looking at?

The only thing I can recommend is a recording of his preludes!

Zimmerman's! Amazing dynamic range and sensitivity.

Advertisement