Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway to Dublin by double decker bus

• 16-09-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm organising a trip to Dublin by bus with my kids. Which of the operators use double decker buses? My son is is eager to take the journey on a double decker bus. I have seen that some of the operators use double deckers but don't recall which. Citylink? Gobus? Bus Eireann? Other?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

20120202-090218.jpg
    BÉ also offering €5 one way between 10am-3pm http://www.buseireannexpressway.com/

And no I don't know which times the double decker goes at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Citylink have them but don't use them every hour, you'd need to check which times they go at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

CityLink do them and are most likely to use them on Saturday mornings which is presumably their busiest time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All of them do. But not on every service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

All of them do. But not on every service.

Never seen a gobus one. Not to say they don't, but I get them a lot, so if they do then they aren't used a lot.

By double decker, I assume people mean *people* on both levels as opposed to a high bus over luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

If you cant get one from galway to dublin take him on a bus in dublin there all double deckers here but i think that be would only use them on shorter distance routes in and out of dublin

inisboffin wrote: »
    By double decker, I assume people mean *people* on both levels as opposed to a high bus over luggage.
    I doubt it matters as I assume the kid wants to sit at the front on the top deck, since it's totally badass.

Never seen a gobus one. Not to say they don't, but I get them a lot, so if they do then they aren't used a lot.

They use white DDs with no branding, occasionally.

They use white DDs
    My favourite

Antifa161 wrote: »
    I doubt it matters as I assume the kid wants to sit at the front on the top deck, since it's totally badass.

I assumed that too! But I heard someone refer to the gobus with the seats above the luggage rack as a 'double decker' one day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The BE 409 from Eyre Square to Parkmore uses double decker buses! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Killeenadeema

Good fun

The BE 409 from Eyre Square to Parkmore uses double decker buses! :D

Sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sure when you get to Dublin all the buses are double deckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I presume the unmarked ones belong to Callinan Coaches who seem to only exist to provide extra rolling stock to the highest inter city bidder.

I think Citylink uses double decker, but they're not the express routes, meaning it'll take around 3 - 4 hours instead of the 2 1/2 the other ones take.

I think Citylink uses double decker, but they're not the express routes, meaning it'll take around 3 - 4 hours instead of the 2 1/2 the other ones take.

Not true: I'm sitting on the upper deck of a CityLink express coach typing this!

Yes it's the seats high above the baggage area type, but a kid's not gonna know that.

Not true: I'm sitting on the upper deck of a CityLink express coach typing this!

Yes it's the seats high above the baggage area type, but a kid's not gonna know that.

LOL! See that's not the double decker bus Mrs O'!
    Of COURSE kids will know :D

But saying that, I was on a City Link Express to Dublin about 6 weeks ago and it was the (proper!) double decker bus. the one with the two sets of stairs and the table seats downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I reckon all the kid probably wants is the seat directly above the driver, whether it's luggage or extra seats behind the driver is irrelevant

flazio wrote: »
    I reckon all the kid probably wants is the seat directly above the driver, whether it's luggage or extra seats behind the driver is irrelevant

The front seat on a double decker (2 levels) is much higher than on a regular tour bus. The driver is on first level, so often will have a sun shield down, so you can't see out without some obstruction, when on the seat beside or behind them.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

Agreed.

And the big kids all like that seat too, so I'd advise arriving at least 1/2 hour before the scheduled departure time if you want to get it!

Agreed.

And the big kids all like that seat too, so I'd advise arriving at least 1/2 hour before the scheduled departure time if you want to get it!

I think we're talking about two different things?

On the regular 'tour' buses there is no seat above the driver, there are two seats behind on either side. There is that little low fold out seat too that they only use if super packed, and unlikely would let a kid sit there.

This bus, has luggage below, but is raised up. The driver is mid way up, with seats behind him. Same with this one. See how if you sat behind the driver you might have a restricted view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I think we're talking about two different things?

On the regular 'tour' buses there is no seat above the driver, there are two seats behind on either side. There is that little low fold out seat too that they only use if super packed, and unlikely would let a kid sit there.

This bus, has luggage below, but is raised up. The driver is mid way up, with seats behind him. Same with this one. See how if you sat behind the driver you might have a restricted view.
    I think maybe that was a reference to this type of bus which has only one level of passenger seating but that extends over the driver as he sits down low on the same level as the luggage. I don't know if any of the companies doing the Galway-Dublin run have buses with this configuration though.

I think maybe that was a reference to this type of bus which has only one level of passenger seating but that extends over the driver as he sits down low on the same level as the luggage. I don't know if any of the companies doing the Galway-Dublin run have buses with this configuration though.

Gotcha. Yeah never seen this one in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Gotcha. Yeah never seen this one in Galway.

I believe that both Gobus and Citylink use this kind of bus occasionally. They also have 240v sockets (at least the last one I got had.)

I believe that both Gobus and Citylink use this kind of bus occasionally. They also have 240v sockets (at least the last one I got had.)

Are you sure it's not the one with seating both upstairs and down?

Are you sure it's not the one with seating both upstairs and down?

The CityLink bus that I got to Dublin on Wednesday was indeed like that, and it only had seating upstairs. (No idea what they have in the downstairs area between the driver and the luggage.)

GoBus sometimes us a similar one, but with seating downstairs too. I think BE's DD intercity jobs also have up-and-down seating, too.

Kids, large and small, make a bee-line for the top front seats either way.

Aha. Ok. Mystery solved. Supercool double decker with seats only on top. Have yet to be on one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sure when you get to Dublin all the buses are double deckers.

again, not all ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I've been on it, the seats seem kinda tight upstairs (tighter than the normal coaches) and the roof is lowish. Not sure if it gives them much benefit tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

As has been said both city link and gobus have proper double deckers(up and downstairs seating)
    antoobrien wrote: »
    I've been on it, the seats seem kinda tight upstairs (tighter than the normal coaches) and the roof is lowish. Not sure if it gives them much benefit tbh.

I'd imagine it does a lot for them. Problem with both companies is they struggle with capacity at peak times which can lead to disappointed customers who may not be inclined to use their service again if they are unable to board the bus. Double deckers would have 24 extra seats so are perfect for these occasions

Advertisement