Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help....Team meeting for Language Disorder/ DCD

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:17am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭

Please Please adivce!!

My Daughter has been diagonsed with Edu Physcologist with Dyslexia. Also diagnosed with ot as matching criteria with DCD and SLT as having a specific Lanugaue disorder - now there is a team meeting involving the principle, class teacher,ot,slt, clinical pyscologist. Now things is i have no idea about these meetings and i want to have questions but afraid ill go blank what sort of things do i need to ask because basically my 9 nearly 10 year old has hidden this and is now in 4th class and the teacher is acting like "ah shes not too bad" and not nearly beleiveing the reports without saying it if you get me.

You see my kids is quiet, non disruptive, and looks like she understands but ask and shes clueless....but if you look closely you WILL see it......feeling sooo lost :-(

(she is getting ot and coming on emensly - starting lanugage therpy v. soon also)

thanks

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

slig17 wrote: »
    Please Please adivce!!

My Daughter has been diagonsed with Edu Physcologist with Dyslexia. Also diagnosed with ot as matching criteria with DCD and SLT as having a specific Lanugaue disorder - now there is a team meeting involving the principle, class teacher,ot,slt, clinical pyscologist. Now things is i have no idea about these meetings and i want to have questions but afraid ill go blank what sort of things do i need to ask because basically my 9 nearly 10 year old has hidden this and is now in 4th class and the teacher is acting like "ah shes not too bad" and not nearly beleiveing the reports without saying it if you get me.

You see my kids is quiet, non disruptive, and looks like she understands but ask and shes clueless....but if you look closely you WILL see it......feeling sooo lost :-(

(she is getting ot and coming on emensly - starting lanugage therpy v. soon also)

thanks

x

The health professionals are there to outline your child's strengths and areas of difficulty. It can be daunting with so many of them in the one room. But they are there to help.

Can someone come with you to the meeting? Always helps to have another pair of ears.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, worth asking if you can meet them one to one at a later date if you want further clarification, are unsure of anything.

I'd be asking how the school is going to support your daughter, ie extra help with language, time in smaller groups to reinforce learning.
    Ask if there is a language class your child can attend.
    Ask will your child now receive OT input?

There should be a plan of how your child will be supported and there should be further meetings to review how it is going.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Sorry misread, she is getting OT support and SLT soon so that's great.
    I'd ask for a review meeting in 6 months or so to ensure you are happy with how she is getting on and to make sure she is getting all the help she needs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭slig17

Blueskye wrote: »
    The health professionals are there to outline your child's strengths and areas of difficulty. It can be daunting with so many of them in the one room. But they are there to help.

Can someone come with you to the meeting? Always helps to have another pair of ears.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, worth asking if you can meet them one to one at a later date if you want further clarification, are unsure of anything.

I'd be asking how the school is going to support your daughter, ie extra help with language, time in smaller groups to reinforce learning.
    Ask if there is a language class your child can attend.
    Ask will your child now receive OT input?

There should be a plan of how your child will be supported and there should be further meetings to review how it is going.

Best of luck.

They have put her in a class doing a lower level of english with about 3 others so would that be the language class?

She gets one to one 3 times a week

She also gets support for maths in another group

THanks for your quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I found that I went blank in the first meeting with the SLT, OT, psychologist etc. I thought of loads of questions afterwards though.

I keep a little notebook where I note down any thoughts or questions I want to discuss and I bring it with me when I meet his therapists.

It can be very overwhelming at first when your child is being assessed and diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

mohawk wrote: »
    I found that I went blank in the first meeting with the SLT, OT, psychologist etc. I thought of loads of questions afterwards though.

I keep a little notebook where I note down any thoughts or questions I want to discuss and I bring it with me when I meet his therapists.

It can be very overwhelming at first when your child is being assessed and diagnosed.

I agree with Mohawk, write down any questions you want to discuss with the team. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

More than lightly the team will have devised An Individual Education Plan (IEP) for your child that they will want your input on.

Here's a link that explains what an IEP is.

http://www.sess.ie/dyslexia-section/individualised-education-plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there slig17,

Please don't worry about the meeting. I can completely understand that you might feel overwhelmed by it all, but really everybody will be there to help your little girl.
    Parental input is really important and also you may get hints on how you can help your daughter at home.
    The fact that she gets 1:1 support is great (although the hours have been slashed).

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tigress

My Son was diagnosed with a learning disability at the same the age. (Dyslexia) I went through such worry at the time (he's 16 now).

I had to ask to have him exempt from Irish at the time as the Education Physiologist did not include it in the report, so the report was updated then with this inclusion. This has stood to him all the way through Junior Cert. No Irish relieved the unwanted pressure. It is a decision I never regretted! He did French anyhow for his junior (own choice) and passed it in the Junior Cert. Thank god he didn't have to be put through hell doing Irish when English was difficult enough.

He also attended Sp & Lang in the HSE for 1 hour a week over 2 years.

You are on the path to getting the help your child needs. Leaning support is normally not 1 to 1 unless you have the paperwork to help the principal apply for that kind of Resource. My Son had LS in a group for 4th & 5th and then in 6th he got the resource 1 to 1 (I can PM you that).

Ask everything you can think of. An IEP Plan was setup for my son from term to term and it kept us on an agenda on what he would be doing. I had to sign these along with LS teacher and class teacher. You will be in these meetings at least twice a year.
    Never ever feel afraid to approach the teacher on how your child is doing. Communication is key.

Please note which is vital that you will need her assessed at the end of 5th Class early 6th. Make sure of this I learned of this after I did the Dyslexia course. This assessment is the one that will be then need for Secondary school.

My son is having his last one now to get him through the Leaving cert in 2 years. (He got grammar and spelling exemption in the Junior Cert).

I know I maybe traveling to fast down the road for you but first step in this meeting is knowing you have finally got help on the way. Ask even what do you want me to do to help? I used a communication notebook between me and his teacher from time to time on items we found hard and so on as I could not be at the school all the time.

Best of Luck!

by the way the reports are daunting. Don't despair they are a microscopic impression of our children. They help the therapists put the right program in place for your daughter so they do need to be detailed.

I use to worry so much about the detail but I see my Son today and he has grown to be confident and knows himself. I learned to become relaxed and my expectations are you can only do your best.

slig17 wrote: »
    They have put her in a class doing a lower level of english with about 3 others so would that be the language class?

She gets one to one 3 times a week

She also gets support for maths in another group

THanks for your quick reply

Wow that's fantastic 1 to 1 x 3 times a week. Maths Support too. In these times with the cuts that's so positive.

Advertisement