Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

syphoning & bottling wine

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

hi all

I have a wine kit I'm hoping to make this week but the instructions are a bit strange so thought id get a bit of advice here.

the instructions say at the end to syphon into another fermetor bin and then syphon into bottles. this strikes me as a bit strange as i syphon all my beer directly and have never heard of double syphoning. The syphoning is done concurrently, theres no settling or adding anything in between.

So am I ok to just bottle? I dont have a second fermentor and don't want to buy one just for one brew as i hope to non kit brew on the next one

cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

They are asking you to rack off of the yeast cake. It makes a big difference to how much sediment gets through to the final wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

thanks , guess i should do that then. would it be ok to buy a big bin and use that ? its really awkward to get large deliveries at home so im hesitant to order another fermentor

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

it will do in a pinch. I dont think the wine will be in contact with the plastic long enough for any nasty chemicals to leach out.

Ideally a food grade container. If you have a camping coolbox around, or one you could borrow, that will do. They can have around 22L capacity or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

cheers, ive one of those so will use that

Advertisement