Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for another Restaurant thread!

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

So it was our anniversary yesterday and for only the third time we headed to Rouge. I'm not posting to disparage Rouge, but I think it is fair to say their standards and attention to detail have slipped since their heyday. I don't think we'll be back.

So what's the latest and greatest opinion for non-Boojum restaurants in Galway? Anywhere with similar value and excellent food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Based on their previous reputation, the new Cava Bodega in Middle St should be good. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I'm rather fond of Café Venice in Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Based on their previous reputation, the new Cava Bodega in Middle St should be good. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I'm rather fond of Café Venice in Augustine St.

Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I go out to eat quite a lot lately and usually have to entertain visitors, so i tend to go back to the same places where i know it is good. I do take the odd chance when I am on my own, and if the place is good, it goes on my own "approved places" list. Mostly casual dining lately, actually looking for suggestions for 8 people on Saturday if anyone has any good ideas.

Maxwells - Was here recently - food was pretty good, service was excellent, atmosphere was relaxed (well it was pretty empty) - Burger and Fish Ordered, was ok+ and some mushroom soup which was actually fantastic.

Museum Cafe - This is my go-to place for lunch / late lunch, very fresh and healthy food, reasonably priced and friendly staff.

Ard Bia - Across the road, really like this place, quirky little place with well cooked food and good service. I think they are going to start doing cocktails as well.

Massimos - Burger, Pizza, salads and really nice desserts. Been consistently good for me for a long time, even if it feels a bit odd to sit there and just eat lol

In terms of restaurants The Malt House is my fall-back option as it has always been consistently good from my experience. Buskers (the restaurant part) is also pretty good if not spectacular but good value. Also like Martines, have not been there for some time. I also frequent The Twelve in Barna quite a lot lately, both the Bar part and the upstairs restaurant and they are both very good, a bit far out but well worth the trip. Out Salthill side I would go to Gourmet Tart or Da Robertas, they have yet to let me down.

Anyone been in Vina Mara or KC Blakes lately? I've been to both but its been a while now.

Just out of curiosity i just checked Tripadvisor and it lists Quay Street Kitchen on 1st spot, huh? Maybe i'll give that a try and see if the public vote is to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My weekend place is High Cafe on Shop Street. Lot's of "healthy" options but I usually go for the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I generally look for places where quality and value meet. Thankfully there are several which tick that box in Galway, such as Vina Mara (€10 main courses Monday-Wednesday), Boojum, Oscar's (great early bird) and the Galleon.

I'm also interested in feedback on the 'new' Cava if anyone's been yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

swe_fi wrote: »
    Anyone been in ... KC Blakes lately? I've been to both but its been a while now.

Closed. There's a bit about it in the businesses-opening-and-closing thread, premises is apparently turning into a Costa Coffee (Assuming they get planning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Museum Cafe - This is my go-to place for lunch / late lunch, very fresh and healthy food, reasonably priced and friendly staff.

Ard Bia - Across the road, really like this place, quirky little place with well cooked food and good service. I think they are going to start doing cocktails as well.

Massimos - Burger, Pizza, salads and really nice desserts. Been consistently good for me for a long time, even if it feels a bit odd to sit there and just eat lol

Agree with almost everything you've mentioned there, except for one thing that bugs me about Massimos, their desserts are ridiculously expensive. €7-8 for a one person portion, in a bar? They're nice, but not that nice. I think the burgers and everything else is quite well priced in there, the desserts need to come down to €5-6.50 IMO.

Vina Mara is another favourite spot of mine, such great value. Is it The Kitchen in the Museum that you're referring to yeah? Just to be clear for anyone looking for it, took me a while to figure out where it was when I first heard of it. Great food there, at great prices, love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Would people recommend Rouge or the new Cava?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 missnemo

We are coming down from Sligo for the weekend...could anyone recommend any restaurants in the city that are really romantic and intimate?...its our first weekend away as a couple and i want it to feel quite special.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

La Fine Bouche - Not sure of spelling but great for lunch if but can sell out of certain dishes quickly. Have not tried dinner but a little steep for me

Musuem cafe- excellent all round with really nice specials.

37 West- A new favourite. Breads served on salads especially good but all over excellent. service times vary hugely though

Quay Street kitchen- really good and I like their service. call you when a table is ready while you have a pint around Quay street. veggie "fish fingers" go down very well with vegetarian other half. Tripadvisor ratings seem nearly evangelical?

Masssimo- some dishes great but some overpriced imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

missnemo wrote: »
    We are coming down from Sligo for the weekend...could anyone recommend any restaurants in the city that are really romantic and intimate?...its our first weekend away as a couple and i want it to feel quite special.
    Have a look through this thread with suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I second "La Fine Bouche" on Sea Road. Ate there twice in the evening and can only recommend it.
    They only open Fri/Sat night (open for lunch on weekdays) - I would advise booking beforehand.
    V

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I third La Fine Bouche, though they are in the process of trying out a new chef so last time I went wasn't great.

However when they are on form they are simply the best in Galway at the moment and cheap enough at about 15 euro a main course, steak of course is dearer.

If you are really pushing the boat out, the tasting menu in Aniar with accompanying wine was just incomparable to everything else, and by Michelin starred restaurant standards very reasonable.

Oscars seems consistently good also.

Rouge is still brilliant midweek, on weekends I think the kitchen gets a little overwhelmed and standards slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Another plug for the High Café here, very underrated.

I think because it's so easy to walk past without noticing the entrance.

Good falafel and tagines and italian stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Kai.
    Oscars.
    Massimos.
    Boojums.
    Monroes - Pizza!
    The Cottage.

Mixed selection but all nice depending on how casual you are feeling:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I'm all for Creole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Kai
    Raw
    Black Cat
    Anair
    Ard Bia
    Milano
    Il Vicollo

Rouge is a nice room and a nice atmosphere and a good place to have dinner with friends but you're not really going for a food experience.

I'm hearing great things about Dela but i haven't been yet

The Cottage for pub food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I still think the food is good in Rouge but would agree it is probably best midweek when it's less messy in there and more about the dining than the wining.

McTigs wrote: »
    Kai
    Raw
    Black Cat
    Anair
    Ard Bia
    Milano
    Il Vicollo

Rouge is a nice room and a nice atmosphere and a good place to have dinner with friends but you're not really going for a food experience.

The Cottage for pub food

Where is this Raw place? I know i can google it, but maybe for the benefit of others :-) and also can you tell me what Black Cat is like, curious about that one? Thank you for mention the mention of Il Vicollo, i forgot one of my favorite places!

I actually booked Dela for Saturday, be interesting to see what it is like, i'll let you(s) know. Dela people if you are reading this I want my friends to be impressed ok?? :pac:

Where is this Raw place?
    in the Raddisson. Top sushi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The Artisan is always a winner for me, rarely see it mentioned in these types of threads which always surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

^^ Yup, +1 for Artisan, excellent food and service.

Ard Bia, lovely too.

Vina Mara: of course! :)

I like Asian Tea House for their Mango Chicken. I get it every single time!

Having said all that, my special choice would be Lunares on Woodquay. It's authentic Spanish cuisine, so if you love tapas like me, you'll be in heaven. Not to mention, cheap as chips compared to the others, and the old Cava especially (haven't been to the new Cava).

I would heartily recommend almost anything on the menu, but the winner so far is a big plate of lamb in a juicy, fruity sauce on top of spuds. E 12! Luckily I had company because I couldn't possibly finish it on my own.

Friendly service, cosy ambiance, lots of Spanish flying around (as in language! biggrin.png).

(The only gripe I have with them is the desserts tend to be comparatively steeply priced [E 6 +] for some reason, quite incongruously with the rest of the menu. So I usually just skip the dessert; what's a loss to my palate is of benefit to my waistline! :pac:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

jh79 wrote: »
    The Artisan is always a winner for me, rarely see it mentioned in these types of threads which always surprises me.

I like artisan but they charge 3 euro extra for potatoes! Every other restaurant in Ireland has them included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Went to Dela last week and was very impressed. The food was wonderful, especially the scallops with black pudding. The also have a decent craft beer selection but all at around the €6 per bottle mark so that bumped up the bill quite a bit by the end of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

in the Raddisson. Top sushi!

Uhhh, no offense but do you know your sushi at snobish levels? Take a look at my review. Has there been a big improvement? I tried them again a few months ago and wasn't that impressed. They still aren't a tap on yamamori or sushi abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Anyone tried the Pullman Restaurant at Glenlo Abbey Hotel recently? An oldie, I know, but I've never tried it. A friend of mine is always singing its praises and their recommendations are usually good. Anyone been?

newkie wrote: »
    Uhhh, no offense but do you know your sushi at snobish levels? Take a look at my review. Has there been a big improvement? I tried them again a few months ago and wasn't that impressed. They still aren't a tap on yamamori or sushi abroad.

Excellent detailed review you wrote there, you seem to be a very patient person (compared to me at least) , also great that you cut some slack because they have just opened. My review of the same experience would not be as eloquent shall we say :-)

newkie wrote: »
    It was just a few months ago i was there with my wife and mother in law (west coast americans very familiar with sushi) and we found it excelent so maybe they have improved in the time since you visited. Admitedly there wasn't huge imagination in the dishes but what we got was was very fresh, well prepared and nicely presented and we chose from all over the menu. It was a quiet enough night in there, a wednesday maybe.

I've eaten sushi abroad too and i'm pretty aware of the standard, and while RAW didn't blow me away it's still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Best sushi in Ireland. Hands down. And tied first worldwide! High praise from me! Michie. I pray someday they will wander West... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

inisboffin wrote: »
    Best sushi in Ireland. Hands down. And tied first worldwide! High praise from me! Michie. I pray someday they will wander West... :D

Some lovely maki combos there. Pricey but I'm guessing you'd argue it's worth it. Maybe next time we're in Dublin we'll try them over Yamamori.

We used to order from these guys every friday (on speed dial): http://mobosushirestaurant.com/menu/mobo-maki-maki/

Pretty much the only thing I miss from the states.

Interesting, quality sushi just down the road is the biggest thing I miss from the states.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement