Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for another Restaurant thread!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Last time I went to rouge was one of the worst restaurant experiences I've had. All of us at the table ordered steaks. I ordered mine blue and it came out medium. They very reluctantly got me a new one. It was annoying that they acted like I did something wrong asking for a new one but it wasn't the worst.

My brothers steak, however, was at the very most two thirds the size of all the others. It was the end piece of the joint which usually isn't served. It's was 3 times thicker on one side than the other so it was completely unevenly cooked. It should never have been served. When we asked for another one they said no. Having worked in kitchens for years I told them that it was the end piece and that it shouldn't have been served. The waiter straight out said no. I had to ask for a manager, and they very reluctantly called the floor manager. The floor manager told me that the steak was fine and acted like I was completely out of line asking for different steak. They said they'd tell the chef what I said as if I was supposed to be scared. I told them to show the steak to the chef and say that we wanted a new one. They came back saying that the steaks come in already cut from "an award winning butcher". They said the best they could do was get me the fish special as a replacement.

I reluctantly accepted. They told me it was salmon. It was white fish in a completely bland, under seasoned white sauce.

The annoying thing was it was a special occasion and I didn't want to ruin it by arguing further. If it was me and a few friends I would have picked up the bottles of wine, paid for the drinks only and walked out. I'd never ever go there again, the staff were, unprofessional and beyond rude. It was by far the worst service I've ever experienced.

Ring and chat to the owner. It doesn't sound like either were on that night. They won't know unless you tell them!

I had some visitors from abroad over and we went in recently and they bent over backwards to help us. We were in on a week night and although tables were almost full it wasn't slammed. Have you had a bad experience there before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

A work colleague of mine had a similar experience in Rouge, staff were rude and the food wasn't what was ordered. I've never been there, hear nothing but poor reviews.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A work colleague of mine had a similar experience in Rouge, staff were rude and the food wasn't what was ordered. I've never been there, hear nothing but poor reviews.

And yet it's packed out seven nights a week. They must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And yet it's packed out seven nights a week. They must be doing something right.

Ive heard poor reviews recently from people who had previously loved Rouge, sounds like the staff are letting them down somewhat. Walked by last Friday evening and they were by no means full either.

I'm just saying what I've been told, hate to trot out the old line but I'm entitled to my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MahBell

I have never eaten in Rough but have heard mixed reviews, mostly good but every one seems to think that the service is shockingly slow.
    I ate in Vina Mara last week and found it just al right - nothing special at all! They got my partners order mixed up as well which wasn't ideal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ive heard poor reviews recently from people who had previously loved Rouge, sounds like the staff are letting them down somewhat. Walked by last Friday evening and they were by no means full either.
    I'm just saying what I've been told, hate to trot out the old line but I'm entitled to my opinion.

Not disagreeing with ye, have had bad experiences of a weekend there too, it seems to be a different place when they get overly busy. I only tend to go on Tuesday or Wednesday myself.

I'm just saying it doesn't seem to affect how much custom they get. It's near on impossible to get a walk-in table on a weekend. Friend tried two weeks ago and couldn't.

It's one thing having a bad experience yourself and posting it on boards but isn't 'what you've been told' heresay?

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's one thing having a bad experience yourself and posting it on boards but isn't 'what you've been told' heresay?

It is what I've been told, I have every single detail of an awful meal that person had there, I know the specifics of what was on the menu that night, what they actually got and what date it was on, it's not like I just wrote gossip or a "friend of a friend" story.

It is what I've been told, I have every single detail of an awful meal that person had there, I know the specifics of what was on the menu that night, what they actually got and what date it was on, it's not like I just wrote gossip or a "friend of a friend" story.

I'm not saying you don't believe it to be true. I'm sure someone did tell you this, but it wasn't you yourself. I'm just saying that in the context of Boards it is similar posts have been called the same. In fact we all could be making our personal experiences up, there is no way to verify, so having that one step removed does make it more likely to be deemed that. I think when regulars on here have a negative experience, balanced with positive ones that is ok, but if we are quoting someone else it isn't.
    I think it is unfair of you to post a negative review of somewhere you have never been tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guess it's time to remind people about the charter
    8. Do not post anything potentially defamatory or libellous about businesses or people. 'Free Speech' is vetoed by the welfare of Boards.ie.
    For instance do not post anti-recommendations, if you don't like a place then do not post here to let people know.
    Service/food experiences are too subjective to be reliable and frankly, we don't know you well enough to know your reasons to put a place down.

If you have a problem with a business and need advice, please use Consumer Issues forum. If someone asks for recommendations, don't use the opportunity to mention places that have "wronged" you. Take it up with the manager instead of the internet.

Now, back to recommendations please.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

MahBell wrote: »
    I have never eaten in Rough

This made me chuckle. Never thought of this, that people may be calling it Rough :D. Its like this book I am reading by a Norwegian writer at the moment (Jo Nesbo) where the main character is called Harry Hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

anyone could suggest a place for potatoes (backed stuffed), like the gone 'couch potatas'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We ate in Kellys yesterday evening, second time in the last cupla months and again it was very good and super value, they have a very Eat@Massimo kinda menu but its cheaper and so far just as nice, they've daily specials done in a similar way to Eat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ok so I went to Vina Mara last night...mains were fine.
    I know we're not meant to be negative here but I cannot let anyone order the lemon and raspberry tart...do not do it..for the love of god do not do it! I will however, say that their orange and vanilla parfait was delightful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually ate in Rouge for the first time ever recently, I was somewhat reluctant, as I'm a fussy eater and I don't like either Fish or Steak, though I find the latter edible. I was shocked to discover that I found the aforementioned Steak option absolutely, and very surprisingly, amazingly delicious. Best Steak I've ever had, and that's coming from someone who's never enjoyed a steak in their life. Couldn't say anything but positive things about it. Was very amused to see the resident piano player consume copious amounts of red wine and....love/hate fans, take note...'fizzy orange', together. Every round was the same, glass of red wine and orange. Great atmosphere though. I'm not a restaurant person, in that, I enjoy eating out, but I consider myself a real average joe - and I found Rouge fantastic. Take from that what you will.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

We ate in Kellys yesterday evening, second time in the last cupla months and again it was very good and super value, they have a very Eat@Massimo kinda menu but its cheaper and so far just as nice, they've daily specials done in a similar way to Eat as well.

Oooh yay! Been terribly disappointed in the place since the re-written menu when it relaunched as Kellys, had a quick glance at what seems to be a changed menu while i was passing a few days ago. I shall investigate during the week..

Thanks Ben. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Was very amused to see the resident piano player consume copious amounts of red wine and....love/hate fans, take note...'fizzy orange', together. Every round was the same, glass of red wine and orange.
    That's very common in Spain and France. It's like Sangria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Would people recommend Rouge or the new Cava?

Rouge is excellent. Small menu but class food.

• Company Representative Posts: 6 Verified rep Glenlo Abbey Hotel: Vicky

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Anyone tried the Pullman Restaurant at Glenlo Abbey Hotel recently? An oldie, I know, but I've never tried it. A friend of mine is always singing its praises and their recommendations are usually good. Anyone been?

Just stumbled upon this thread. The Pullman Restaurant aboard the Orient Express is now open. Beautifully restored and set on the grounds of Glenlo Abbey Hotel with views overlooking the estate.

Open daily and all welcome. Booking in advance is advisable.

View our website for full details of menus.

warm regards,
    Vicky

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement