Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands you begrudgingly like but don't want to.

Options
  • 16-09-2013 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭

I for one wish I didn't like Metallica and Slipknot.

Metallica for all the total hypocrisy and selling out by the Danish dwarf and all the pantomime crap that Slipknot are about. But by God, they both make a hell of a racket that I find irresistible.

Are there any other bands you wish hatred and misfortune on but can't help admiring the noise they make ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

I'm a massive black/death metal fan but my guilty pleasure is Cradle of Filth, cant tell you how many times ive denied listening to them to avoid a slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Paramore. I'm a gothic metal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Burzum wrote: »
    I'm a massive black/death metal fan but my guilty pleasure is Cradle of Filth, cant tell you how many times ive denied listening to them to avoid a slagging.
    Yeah, pretty much adored Cradle of Filth back in the day, then sorta kept it to myself. Midian is still a fantastic album ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Paramore. I'm a gothic metal fan.

Paramore is pushing it a bit TBF. I can't see how anybody who's even a passing interest in non commercial music could like them and what they stand for $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

nocoverart wrote: »
    Paramore is pushing it a bit TBF. I can't see how anybody who's even a passing interest in non commercial music could like them and what they stand for $$$

I like them.

It doesn't really matter what I should or shouldn't like.

If you paid more attention to what music brings you joy and less to which bands you couldn't or shouldn't like then things would be better.

• Advertisement

I like the first 6 ManOwaR even though Joey is . . . well . . . Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Morf wrote: »
    I like them.

It doesn't really matter what I should or shouldn't like.

If you paid more attention to what music brings you joy and less to which bands you couldn't or shouldn't like then things would be better.

I get what you say, but it doesn't hide the fact that Paramore are nothing more than a tacked on cheesy outfit pretending to be something they're not. But more importantly I cant and I shant listen to music that is utter tripe. So I'm better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I'm gonna go with Paramore as well. and Fall Out Boy. I don't think Paramore pretend to be anything more than a cheesy pop outfit at this stage. I'm a 32 year old man and I get the impression that no one over the age of 15 should own up to listening to these bands but they do write some catchy tunes

I get what you say, but it doesn't hide the fact that Paramore are nothing more than a tacked on cheesy outfit pretending to be something they're not. But more importantly I cant and I shant listen to music that is utter tripe. So I'm better off.

Emm, at what point does any of that matter?

Do you like the music or not like the music?

Having all these rules about what you can like and what you can't based around things that don't involve actually listening to the music doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Is it cold and lonely up there in your ivory tower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In fairness Paramore represent everything that's wrong in music, they're just a corporate outfit with the sole intention of making money by appealing to the most mainstream tastes possible. There's no art in their music, they dont have a concept of art, it's just music designed to make money, but it's not even good! I saw a scuzz interview with them and that came across. It's amazing really, it's not just Paramore, there are so many rock bands that aren't really rock and the songs could literally be written by a computer they're so formulaic, yet people like this sh1t?:confused: What happened to the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Three Days Grace and Three Doors Down. They're bands that I consider light weights compared to most music I listen to, but I like some of their songs. Limp Bizkit would be another one. I used to like them as a teenager but sort of grew out of them, but still like some of their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't get this thread?

"Bands you begrudgingly like but don't want to."

Why would I begrudgingly like something? It's not like it's a brother or sister I have to get along with for the sake of the family.
    I either like it or I don't. If I don't like it, I won't listen to it, so anything I like, I like, anything I don't like, I don't have to listen to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I can't think of one band I begrudgingly like but don't want to. That only happens when you are trying to play up to an image and are too conscience of what others think of you. You are only depriving yourself of what you enjoy and if you like a band's music then don't feel any shame in enjoying their music. Learn not to give a fuck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thread title should say:

Bands you like that aren't "cool"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I can't think of one band I begrudgingly like but don't want to. That only happens when you are trying to play up to an image and are too conscience of what others think of you. You are only depriving yourself of what you enjoy and if you like a band's music then don't feel any shame in enjoying their music. Learn not to give a fuck.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

This couldn't be further than the point of the thread. Where did you get the impression that an image is involved ? And who is depriving themselves of anything ? Shame ?

I clearly stated that I find the music irresistable, I am a forty two year old man who has been going to gigs since my first Motorhead gig in 1982. I do not have an image or an ego. I love the music of Deep Purple, Slipknot, Joss Stone, Slayer, Alicia Keys, Voi Vod, Saxon, Rolling Stones etc., etc. I just love good music full stop.

The question that I asked which I thought I gave an example of is that although the music shines through, the personnel involved in making the said beautiful noise are indeed cnuts.

I have followed Metallica ever since I heard Metal Militia on a compilation album called Hell On Earth from 1983, then Ride The Lightning came out and I've been a fan ever since. However, Large Oilrig is a hideous, greedy hypocritical dwarf.

For someone who boasted of taping and sharing music to go to such lenghths to eliminate Napster, for someone who claimed to be thrash through and through only to record an album with the San Francisco Philharmonic Orchestra and Lou Reed FFS, for someone who cashed in massively issueing half a dozen CD singles of the same A side with six different B sides and printing the same record in as many different coloured vinyl as he could just for the fans to buy the same record again and again in different formats is just a disgusting greedy corporate pig as the people he was moaning about in the early days of Metallica when they were struggling in their early days. Lest we forget the eyeliner ? And the pantomime man on fire? And the man falling from the lighting rig ? C'mon, I thought it was Metal Up Your Ass not Cirque De Soliel ?

I have been a fan since '83 and their last album is a belter too, so I for one am not depriving myself of anything. He's just a cnut. And I wish they weren't so fukcin good because he is a cnut.

As for those buffoons in the masks and the prison overalls, well, I have never heard a noise like it, fantastic. Love them to bits just why oh why do you look and act like total halfwits, yet still create such a beautifully horrendous cacophony of mayhem ?

I will bow out now and put on some Stryper.

(Sign Of The Hammer is still one of my favourites, All Men Play On Ten !)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This couldn't be further than the point of the thread. Where did you get the impression that an image is involved ? And who is depriving themselves of anything ? Shame ?

I clearly stated that I find the music irresistable, I am a forty two year old man who has been going to gigs since my first Motorhead gig in 1982. I do not have an image or an ego. I love the music of Deep Purple, Slipknot, Joss Stone, Slayer, Alicia Keys, Voi Vod, Saxon, Rolling Stones etc., etc. I just love good music full stop.

The question that I asked which I thought I gave an example of is that although the music shines through, the personnel involved in making the said beautiful noise are indeed cnuts.

I have followed Metallica ever since I heard Metal Militia on a compilation album called Hell On Earth from 1983, then Ride The Lightning came out and I've been a fan ever since. However, Large Oilrig is a hideous, greedy hypocritical dwarf.

For someone who boasted of taping and sharing music to go to such lenghths to eliminate Napster, for someone who claimed to be thrash through and through only to record an album with the San Francisco Philharmonic Orchestra and Lou Reed FFS, for someone who cashed in massively issueing half a dozen CD singles of the same A side with six different B sides and printing the same record in as many different coloured vinyl as he could just for the fans to buy the same record again and again in different formats is just a disgusting greedy corporate pig as the people he was moaning about in the early days of Metallica when they were struggling in their early days. Lest we forget the eyeliner ? And the pantomime man on fire? And the man falling from the lighting rig ? C'mon, I thought it was Metal Up Your Ass not Cirque De Soliel ?

I have been a fan since '83 and their last album is a belter too, so I for one am not depriving myself of anything. He's just a cnut. And I wish they weren't so fukcin good because he is a cnut.

As for those buffoons in the masks and the prison overalls, well, I have never heard a noise like it, fantastic. Love them to bits just why oh why do you look and act like total halfwits, yet still create such a beautifully horrendous cacophony of mayhem ?

I will bow out now and put on some Stryper.

(Sign Of The Hammer is still one of my favourites, All Men Play On Ten !)

If you're really going to have a go at Metallica because of Lar Ulrich then you have to take a step back and look at music as a whole. Music(especially Rock and Metal bands) are full of a*reholes. I could name 10 musicians who are cnuts but I still love their music because it's not the artist you should be looking at, it's the art. I mean if i'm honest, as a Metallica fan I don't care too much about any of the band members all that much. I have respect for old band members guys like Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted, but everyone else is just a pr!ck in their own way.

As for bands that I mentioned before, that I begrudgingly like. I suppose it goes down to the fact that I kind've look down on the type of music they play. They play music that I would probably like as a teenager, but having a more mature taste in music these days, I went off them a long time ago. But I still give credit where credit is due. I do like some of their songs still, just don't care for the bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

By the OP's definition then i begrudgingly like my favourite band Tool. because i think maynard is a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't get this thread?

"Bands you begrudgingly like but don't want to."

Why would I begrudgingly like something? It's not like it's a brother or sister I have to get along with for the sake of the family.
    I either like it or I don't. If I don't like it, I won't listen to it, so anything I like, I like, anything I don't like, I don't have to listen to...

I'll translate it for you....

A-holes...who make good music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Three Days Grace

I really like them, don't be ashamed. :) "Let You Down" is a great tune. A lot of the Nu metal bands had some great singles, I own the best of Limp Bizkit and a Papa Roach album. I'm not proud of this but I wouldn't disown them either, music doesn't always have to soul crushingly deep and clever, sometimes a good hook and a chorus that lets you shout swear words with childlike abandon is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Murderdolls :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Makes me think of my feelings for metal over the years. I started my metal tastes with NIN, Front Line Assembly, Slayer, Strapping Young Lad, Wildhearts, Type O Negative, but have gotten fairly disillusioned with the overall metal opus in recent times and have vacillated over to shoegaze and dreampop. So, I suppose as someone who still hangs his hat on the 'metal' peg, I'd consider some of the new bands I listen to begrudgingly good. You guys should check out bands like No Joy, Blonde Redhead... bands like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Fear Factory.

One of my all time favourite bands and a massive influence on my playing, but I can't stand Burton C. Bell or Dino Cazares.

Mainly over their treatment of Raymond Herrera and Christian Olde Wolbers (though I'm sure those two aren't entirely blameless) and their most recent treatment of Gene Hoglan.

Spa carry on of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Janes Addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

FFs Paramore, Limp Bizkit jaysus are ye 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Dermighty wrote: »
    Janes Addiction.
    Why? Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual were fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Fear Factory.

One of my all time favourite bands and a massive influence on my playing, but I can't stand Burton C. Bell or Dino Cazares.

Mainly over their treatment of Raymond Herrera and Christian Olde Wolbers (though I'm sure those two aren't entirely blameless) and their most recent treatment of Gene Hoglan.

Spa carry on of the highest order.

Yeah they don't exactly do themselves any favours. As a huge Gene Hoglan fan I say the consolation to him must be the fact that his legacy eats most other players in the genre for breakfast.
    Why? Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual were fantastic.

Too right, both are classics. Love JA's rhythm section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A +1 for Metallica and Slipknot. Great for the gym!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Yeah they don't exactly do themselves any favours. As a huge Gene Hoglan fan I say the consolation to him must be the fact that his legacy eats most other players in the genre for breakfast.

Which makes it all the more confusing, you have one of the greatest ever living metal drummers in your band and you dick him around like that?

I don't get it, was he too expensive? Surely the reward would outweigh the cost, especially after how well received Mechanize was.

And The Industrialist was ass for the most part.

Advertisement