Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby vaporiser

Options
  • 16-09-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Have anyone used these overnight and are they any good?

Also where would I get one from?

Looking to hunt not down tonight- little one bunged up and we all need a nights sleep!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why would you want to vaporize your baby? Seems a bit harsh.

Mod Note
    Please keep posts on topic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We use the Boots own brand one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't know what a baby vapouriser is, sounds a bit sci-fi!

Anyway, when smallie has a sniffle we find the Karvol Drops work well. One drop on the bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Karvol is totally off the market now sadly. We have snuffle babe and oilbas oil for kids but was just wondering if a room steam vapouriser be beneficial

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is still licenced for sale here just seems to be a shortage of supply,no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Was in Sligo for the weekend and searched the while town yesterday for some Vicks baby rub... Apparently the normal vapour rub is for over 2 years. Amd I asked a load of pharmacists who said not to use it. So nowhere had the vicks baby rub! Anyway... Finally found a pharmacy who had a vapour rub that is ok for babies. It's called Snuffle Babe Vapour Rub. It's ok to use from 3 months on. Smells pretty much like the Vicks. Used it on him last night and he's still quite sniffly but he slept from 7.30pm till 8am. Obviously i dont think this is just coz the rub butmi think it kinda soothed him a bit. He was awake 4-5 times the night before. I've heard karvol drops are used a good bit aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've never tried the vaporisers.

He has a stuffed nose at the moment and I use the Calpol Nasal spray (think it's just saline water). Spray up both nostrils and that usually helps clear out some of the blockage.

The first night we put him down with the blocked nose he cried out a bit here and there and fell back asleep, he was getting used to breathing through his mouth but got the hang of it eventually and slept fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is still licenced for sale here just seems to be a shortage of supply,no idea why.

Quick google says something about a factory fire?

Bugger anyway, I've only a small bit left. Might look in a couple of smaller pharmacies. olbas oil seems to be the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yea the pharmacist yesterday told me karvol was being discontinued. Op I only read your post there that you have the snuffle baby already....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our little one had three bouts of blocked nose since she was born and through trial and error I've found a combination of the following helps; dab a bit of olbas oil for children on a muslin cloth and leave it in the cot, burn a little of the oil before bed time, squirt nasosal spray and use a bulb thing to squeeze the snot out. Use it after squirting the nasosal and before a feed.

I've got the boots vapouriser but I find it no more effective than using the olbas oil. I personally found snuffle babe useless. I've only started using nasosal after using the calpol one and sterimar. It was recommended by a pharmacist and I find it the best of all the sprays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

A damp towel over a radiator should humidify your baby's room. Dry air can aggravate the bunged up feelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭fuzz69er

Another shout for the nasal aspirator (bulb) here. I found using it a few minutes after applying Nasol drops (saline) worked a treat, although the wee man hates having his nose cleaned!!

I then apply the Snuffle baby to his chest and it gets him through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 etac22

Try steaming baby in ensuite/ small bathroom. Put shower on hot 5 mins b4 goin in. Strip down to vest. Sit in bathroom 10/15mins. Works well b4 bedtime/nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I feel your pain op! Its really hard when a baby is bunged up for you & themselves.
    I have tried karvol capsules but they didnt work as i had hoped they would! The vaporub from vicks is not suitable for a baby. I havent tried snuffle baby.
    The best remedy i have found is to burn 3 drops of olbas oil in a candle oil burner (can be bought anywhere - 2euro shop has them) before babys bedtime. It leaves a fresh menthol essence and makes breathing easier without being harsh.
    Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

We use the Vick steam steriliser - it has a small bowl where you are meant to pop sone Vick - but we use olbas for children. The room is lovely and steamy with the olbas oil and it helps keep her chest loose and gives her relief from the congestion! Also love the calpol saki e spray - find it the nicest to use over sterimar baby, nasosal etc for both the 19 & 4&1/2 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Not a vaporiser but great for bunged-up babies - olbas/karvol oil in an oil burner. I use it myself too when my sinuses are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emerdunney

Many advice or suggestion on a baby coughing a lot, wanted to try a humidifier in his room the Vicks one from Argos. Any feed back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Have you got a link ? We have a vicks one and find it very helpful when it's needed.

Advertisement