Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Share on subnet

Options
  • 16-09-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have a subnet in my house, with a raspberry pi, ouya and PS3 connected to the secondary router.
    At the moment, I'm using filezilla to copy files to/from the pi when connected to the parent router, but it's a bit awkward compared to a network share
    Is it possible to access a network share from the pi in the "parent" network?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Why have you 2 subnets? Why not make all a single subnet by stopping the second router routing, disable NAT, firewall and DHCP and just use the lan ports.

Anyway, double NAT will cause you endless trouble on the PS3, it uses uPnP to open ports on the router firewall, but they'll remain blocked on the main router. You only want one gateway router Natting to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I don't have two subnets, I have one subnet, the PS3, ouya and pi are on that subnet

I don't have two subnets, I have one subnet, the PS3, ouya and pi are on that subnet

Well then, what's this parent and secondary router stuff? A router routes between networks. A router conneced to a router will be two networks, 2 subnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I might be getting the terms confused, I've attached a diagram with what the network looks like
    Can I share files from the pi to the machines connected to the main router?
    homenetwork.jpg

I might be getting the terms confused, I've attached a diagram with what the network looks like
    Can I share files from the pi to the machines connected to the main router?
    homenetwork.jpg

Not if the second router is routing. You need to stop the second router routing by disabling NAT, the firewall and DHCP, then use just the lan ports. This way you turn it into a 4 port switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Once you've done that, plug the ethernet cable from the main router into a LAN port on the switch

Advertisement