Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Negative Media coverage of Tattoos

Options
  • 16-09-2013 11:58am
    Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭

Interesting the derision and finger pointing Cheryl Cole for her ass tattoo and Sinead O'Connor for her face tattoo received from the media. What do you think? Slow news days ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Couldn't give a ****. None of their business

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sinead O'Connor's tattoo looks ridiculous IMO but they're entitled to do what they want with their bodies and I couldn't really care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Interesting the derision and finger pointing Cheryl Cole for her ass tattoo and Sinead O'Connor for her face tattoo received from the media. What do you think? Slow news days ?

In fairness I don't think the media made either out as a witch hunt against tattoo or people with tattoo's majority just showed Cheryl Cole's tattoo most of the negative comments came from the general public when reading or hearing comments about it.

As for Sinead O'Connor well she is as mad as bag of spanners and once again it was just her being in the media for doing something off the wall it's the only way she manages to stay relevant these days.

Neither were cases of the media highlighting negativity towards tattoo's really imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

You'd get some sort of media reaction if Cheryl Cole got a drastic haircut or wore something new, or ate a huge burger in public.

And Sinead O'Connor does this kind of crap to attract the media. Hardly a coincidence she has a tour coming up.

Media will latch onto anything these people do, it's not really negative coverage of tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

Sinead O'connor; supposedly anti-church but has jesus tattooed on herself......the b,q on her face is clearly the least of her problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sinead O'connor; supposedly anti-church but has jesus tattooed on herself......the b,q on her face is clearly the least of her problems

Church =/= Jesus...
    There's a difference.

Church =/= Jesus...
    There's a difference.

Well the church is the organisation which committed the atrocities she has spoken out against.....and it does so in the name of jesus. Also her tattoo is a catholic version of the image of jesus not just a non-denominational image. Just seems conflicted to me is all Im saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Well the church is the organisation which committed the atrocities she has spoken out against.....and it does so in the name of jesus. Also her tattoo is a catholic version of the image of jesus not just a non-denominational image. Just seems conflicted to me is all Im saying.

Don't forget, she was also a fully "Unofficially" ordained priest herself. Just because she has a Catholic imagining of Christ tattoo'd on herself, she's not being hypocritical or conflicting. She's a Catholic. She just doesn't like the "Church" as an organisation. She disagrees with the Church, not the Religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Don't forget, she was also a fully "Unofficially" ordained priest herself. Just because she has a Catholic imagining of Christ tattoo'd on herself, she's not being hypocritical or conflicting. She's a Catholic. She just doesn't like the "Church" as an organisation. She disagrees with the Church, not the Religion.

Did she not declare herself a Rastafarian at one point too? :rolleyes:

Most probably yes.

• Advertisement

Right...to try to stay on the topic of tattoo expression...this seems to me to be the equivalent of something like "I'm a citizen of 'suchandsuch' country...I hate everything my country does in the world and what it stands for...but I'm going to get a tattoo of my country's flag."

Did she not declare herself a Rastafarian at one point too? :rolleyes:
    Like I said...conflicted!

Right...to try to stay on the topic of tattoo expression...this seems to me to be the equivalent of something like "I'm a citizen of 'suchandsuch' country...I hate everything my country does in the world and what it stands for...but I'm going to get a tattoo of my country's flag."

Or, another way to look at it is:

Me personally, I am not a religious person by any stretch. I don't believe in God. I find it sickening that with everything that has gone on in the Church that these criminals have just been moved around with no consequences. None have been excommunicated from the church for these vile acts which go against the teachings, belief's and ethos of what the church stands for. Very few have actually been prosecuted, or those that have have had sentences suspended because of their age.

Despite all this, I still try to live a Christian life, as in being kind to strangers, helping others in need, donating to Charity, raising funds for Charity. These are teachings of Christianity. Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife.

The Bible also says that any modification to the body is a sin (Tattoo's, piercings).

So, to you it may seem conficting (Certainly is when she was ordained a priest and then declares Rastafarian, though she wouldn't be the first person to convert), but to me not so much.

Well I'd describe that as living an 'honourable' life, not a 'christian' one. (and good on ya btw!)
    If you read the bible thoroughly you'll see that being 'christian' isn't such an honourable thing..eg the punishment if you cheat on your wife or if your wife cheats on you- you both are to be killed! The punishment that every christian is meant to deal out for anybody disobeying the ten commandments, is death. The bible specifically condones/encourages a whole list of barbaric ideas/practices....slavery,genocide etc etc. So please...don't live a christian life!

Christian = believes in God / Jesus etc.
    That is separable from the Church as an organisation. Roman Catholic, Protestant, Methodists, Baptists... etc... etc... etc... there are thousands of various Christian denominations. Only one of those is the Roman Catholic church that you're associating with Christianity. It's possible to be Christian (IE believe in Christ) without being a member of the Roman Catholic Church, or indeed any of the organised religions. None of which means that you condone the actions committed by the church or any other branch of Christianity throughout the world or throughout the ages.

Just because Sinead O'Connor has a tattoo of Jesus doesn't mean she's being contradictory by denouncing 'The Church'.
    She may be conflicted, and she may have shown some troubled traits in the past, but personally speaking I don't see any conflict in her views on this matter.

Anyway, let's please get back on the topic of negative perception of tattoos in the media, rather than being negatively judgemental about her tattoos and disparaging of SO'C or any individual for that matter.

Well the media seems to be pretty much in line with society's views on tattoos; the odd small tattoo is sort of accepted now...doesnt cause much of a reaction from people. But anything more than that, and people start stereotyping and judging. I've lived and traveled a fair bit around the world and I can definitely say that the most extreme reactions I've seen to my tattoos have been here in Ireland....so it's no surprise that the media here would pick at SO'C for her tattoos. But in saying that, the extreme reactions Ive seen in other places in the world have generally been from religious people/sections of society....so I'd say it's the fact that Ireland is such a religious country that causes more discrimination against tattoos.

Not sure I'd agree with that as such, I think it's more that there's less exposure to it here, so people are less accustomed to seeing quality tattoos or large tattoos. There's also that common Irish trait of tarring everyone with the same brush. "Oh, you've a tattoo? You must be a scumbag."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest there seems to be an almost sexist divide to reactions about tattoos in Ireland. Basically on men, everything bar the hands/face/head seems to be accepted and admired, on women anything larger than a small butterfly/rose/whatever seems to still cause some kind of shock.

I remember talking to my mother about my tattoos and the subject of my female cousin's tattoos came up. My mother nearly had a heart attack saying 'what about her wedding photos'.

Just the one example I know, but I have heard plenty of other anecdotes along those lines

Not sure I'd agree with that as such, I think it's more that there's less exposure to it here, so people are less accustomed to seeing quality tattoos or large tattoos. There's also that common Irish trait of tarring everyone with the same brush. "Oh, you've a tattoo? You must be a scumbag."

Certainly the Irish have not been exposed to much...which does largely contribute to the ignorant reactions that people have here. But I,ve had clergy try to stop me from visiting a church in Budapest...was told by a catholic in london that I'm going to hell because I have all the markings of a lost soul....and the christians in America are always trying to "save" me from my obvious path of doom!

Certainly the Irish have not been exposed to much...which does largely contribute to the ignorant reactions that people have here. But I,ve had clergy try to stop me from visiting a church in Budapest...was told by a catholic in london that I'm going to hell because I have all the markings of a lost soul....and the christians in America are always trying to "save" me from my obvious path of doom!

The extremists everywhere will find one way or another to condemn you! :D

P_1 is right though, there really is a huge divide in the sexist views of tattoos. Taking two 'celebs' as examples:
    David Beckham: I've never heard a bad word said about his tattoos at all, and he's built up quite a bit of coverage over the years.
    Cheryl Cole: Granted I think her side-of-the-hand tattoo was a stupid idea, it was perceived as being "small and feminine", so people flocked to copy her. She gets a larger tattoo done (the roses on her bum) which is in itself a great looking tattoo, but gets condemned and lambasted by the media and public as it's "a bit much" and "what'll it look like when she's 50/60/70/80"

• Advertisement

True, there was a bit of a backlash about Beckham's neck tattoo back in the day but it was more of a 'he's playing in a the Euro's in a week, surely getting a massive tattoo done on your neck isn't the most ideal preparation' backlash rather than a 'what will he look like when he's 60/70/80' backlash.

Thing is though you're always going to get people who are anti tattoo but it seems they're more prone to be anti women getting tattooed for whatever reason.

True...and the better looking the woman, the more they are expected to not tattoo themselves...they're meant to be "flawless" beauties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4aIZGHnF2I

True...and the better looking the woman, the more they are expected to not tattoo themselves...they're meant to be "flawless" beauties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4aIZGHnF2I

Your mistake there was listening to Donald Trump and presuming that it wouldn't be some sort of a petulant rant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I don't think there's that much of a social stigma about tattoos in Ireland anymore, well certainly not in Dublin anyway.

We've come a long way from India ink dots and crosses that you would most associate with "scumbags" 20/30 years ago. There's practically a tattoo studio on every street in the city centre, people from all walks of life are tattooed, some with small designs, some with extensive work. Apart from facial tattoos, I don't think there's much reaction at all these days to heavily tattooed individuals.

I don't think there's that much of a social stigma about tattoos in Ireland anymore, well certainly not in Dublin anyway.

We've come a long way from India ink dots and crosses that you would most associate with "scumbags" 20/30 years ago. There's practically a tattoo studio on every street in the city centre, people from all walks of life are tattooed, some with small designs, some with extensive work. Apart from facial tattoos, I don't think there's much reaction at all these days to heavily tattooed individuals.

Yeah that's true. I remember talking to Michal in Skin City yesterday and him mentioning that there was at least ten studios within a 15 minute walk from the place. Facial tattoos are still a little bit 'woah' but with a bit of luck that stigma will go away or at least diminish a bit in a few years.

Try leaving Dublin..... Anywhere outside the big cities of Ireland people will stop their cars to stare!

Try leaving Dublin..... Anywhere outside the big cities of Ireland people will stop their cars to stare!

That would be part of the urban/rural social issues divide though. See long hair on men for a similar example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

This is true very rarely would I get a reaction to my tattoo's in Dublin but in saying that anytime I have gotten a reaction outside of Dublin it has always been a positive one.

I've yet to receive any negative comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DowDow

<snip>

Let's keep the comments on the acceptable side please. - Damo

Charter
    No trolling, flaming, fighting, sleazy/inappropriate comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Just on this but tattoos are a sin in the bible so it makes some sense. But if you have any issues, ask them if they follow commandants. When they yes, ask them what happened to "Thou shalt not vex a stranger"

Advertisement