Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Negative Media coverage of Tattoos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

P_1 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true. I remember talking to Michal in Skin City yesterday and him mentioning that there was at least ten studios within a 15 minute walk from the place. Facial tattoos are still a little bit 'woah' but with a bit of luck that stigma will go away or at least diminish a bit in a few years.

In fairness though, you'd want to have some set of balls on ya to get a facial tattoo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

I've yet to receive any negative comments.

Most people that have the narrowminded mentality about tattoos would generally be too scared to make any comment at all! It's like the mentality people about african americans in the states....you could be naked and someone will still think you've got a gun hidden up your ass! But they sure as hell won't comment....they'll just scurry away and talk s**t behind your back.

Orim wrote: »
    Just on this but tattoos are a sin in the bible so it makes some sense. But if you have any issues, ask them if they follow commandants. When they yes, ask them what happened to "Thou shalt not vex a stranger"

Unfortunately one of the other wrongs that the bible promotes is hypocrisy:

"But anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Jesus) Mat 5:22
    "You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40
    "You blind fools!" (Jesus) Mat 23:17
    "How foolish you are" (Jesus) Luke 24:25
    "But God said to him, 'You fool!' " (Jesus) Luke 12:20
    "You foolish Galatians!" (St. Paul) Galatians 3:1
    "You foolish man" James 2:20

Sorry, gone off topic again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This is true very rarely would I get a reaction to my tattoo's in Dublin but in saying that anytime I have gotten a reaction outside of Dublin it has always been a positive one.

I've yet to receive any negative comments.

To be honest it's rare that you'll get people who have a negative attitude to say it to your face but I'd be fairly sure that there'd be plenty of sniping going on behind the Squinting Windows.
    In fairness though, you'd want to have some set of balls on ya to get a facial tattoo :pac:

Yeah that's true, something that isn't really for me but fair balls to the folk that have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Most people that have the narrowminded mentality about tattoos would generally be too scared to make any comment at all! It's like the mentality people about african americans in the states....you could be naked and someone will still think you've got a gun hidden up your ass! But they sure as hell won't comment....they'll just scurry away and talk s**t behind your back.
    To be honest it's rare that you'll get people who have a negative attitude to say it to your face but I'd be fairly sure that there'd be plenty of sniping going on behind the Squinting Windows.

Yeh but see that is true of life people are always going to have negative views about your appearance be it tattoo's or the clothes you wear and personally as long they keep them opinions to themselves and don't come up spouting crap about how I have ruined my body etc I couldn't care less what there opinion or the little snide comments they make to there friends ;).

• Advertisement

Yeh but see that is true of life people are always going to have negative views about your appearance be it tattoo's or the clothes you wear and personally as long they keep them opinions to themselves and don't come up spouting crap about how I have ruined my body etc I couldn't care less what there opinion or the little snide comments they make to there friends ;).

True, and in an ironic twist of fate here we are sniping about their sniping. It's a viscious cycle of sniping :P

The problem is when someone 'takes issue' with you but doesn't express that to you....then you don't know who your enemies are.

I'd hardly consider someone who doesn't like my tattoos an enemy...

I'd hardly consider someone who doesn't like my tattoos an enemy...

Maybe enemy is too strong a word alright but unfortunately you can get some people who could be in a position of influence over yourself taking a dislike to you over the tattoos which could negatively impact on you. All part of the swings and roundabouts of having tattoos to be honest.

Maybe enemy is too strong a word alright but unfortunately you can get some people who could be in a position of influence over yourself taking a dislike to you over the tattoos which could negatively impact on you. All part of the swings and roundabouts of having tattoos to be honest.

I hears ya. Fortunately I'm old enough, and established enough in my working life to not have to worry about that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Try leaving Dublin..... Anywhere outside the big cities of Ireland people will stop their cars to stare!

Not true in my experience. I'm living in Kerry, and fairly heavily covered, with hand and finger tattoos too and I VERY rarely get a negative reaction, and the one or two times somebody has said anything, it's nothing too major at all.

well....enemy being the general word for anyone who works against your best interest.....so yes anyone who has influence to impact your life in a negative way and chooses to do so....it's nice to know who they are so you know who's working against you. I predict body modification to be the next frontier in the civil rights movement, after gblt rights.

I seriously doubt anyone gives enough of a f*ck about it to make it a civil rights issue :pac:

I seriously doubt anyone gives enough of a f*ck about it to make it a civil rights issue :pac:

Not tattoos specifically...but general appearance. The business world is still stuck in the 50's. In a just world there shouldnt be discrimination based on any type of appearance, whether your'e born with it(race), or if you choose it.

Not tattoos specifically...but general appearance. The business world is still stuck in the 50's. In a just world there shouldnt be discrimination based on any type of appearance, whether your'e born with it(race), or if you choose it.

Have to say I agree with you there, I'm not sure it would be up there with LGBT rights though but I'd love to be in a world where appearance doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Hmm, if appearance doesn't matter wouldn't that end up turning the evolution clock back abit?

I like the idea of professional suits as it puts the company I'm dealing with in a non-judgemental view on my part and I can put my full attention to what they're selling or service provided. I don't think individualism has a place in many workplaces.

I'm not sure how hypocritical it makes me seeing as I've a large enough tattoo myself and planning many more, but suits have a purpose in the world from what I can see.

In saying that, people shouldn't judge each other walking by on the street based on appearance, but unfortunately that's an innate response which isn't going to change within our species for a very long time....if at all.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    In saying that, people shouldn't judge each other walking by on the street based on appearance, but unfortunately that's an innate response which isn't going to change within our species for a very long time....if at all.

In my experience, very young kids seem to be fascinated by all sorts of 'differences'. It's seems that only when they get older and can learn discriminatory attitudes from those around them, that they then start to look oddly at peoples differences. Racism in the west is a fraction of what it used to be because we stopped teaching it to our kids....so likewise if we stop teaching our kids to look oddly at people with different lifestyles then that attitude will diminish greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Could you describe "very young" to me please and am I right in assuming it's puberty you refer to as "getting older". There will ALWAYS be "cool" (expected "normal" connotations in teenagers/young adults to abide by). Genuinely can't see this ever being sifted out even by evolution. Every species has a standard when you look closely.

I'm not trying to be rude, just interested in debate ;)

From my own personal experiences, even as a young adult, I never questioned the individualism of a person. If anything it made me more aware that I could be whomever I wanted to be - even if that meant a normal girl next door type with a fiery substance underneath. I guarantee no one from this forum could pick me from a crowd.

Racism is not just for the west and as an Irish person I DESPISE this attitude. As a nationality, we were below dogs (yes, the bark, bark type), whom even the black nationalities were above. We embraced any negative word associated with us (Paddy = Patty in the grand USA) and pretty much laughed the negative connotations off. A lot of nationalities in this world can't do the same (which is far given some histories) so racism will ALWAYS be prevalent - at least in our lifetimes and the few centuries following.

It is a shame but we do always judge people based on their appearance, be that their hairstyle, body mods or even the clothes they wear. I would like for us to not to do this but sadly we do (even those of us who say we don't).

For example, take a chap who regularly wears a football jersey along with a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a pair of American runners. Now without even listening to him speak, what would your immediate judgement of him be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This just in - big tattoos not for everyone.

Good. I don't want the Great Unwashed cluttering up my subculture.

• Advertisement

Could you describe "very young" to me please
    By very young I mean like under 5. It's when kids starting thoroughly communicating and also when they start going to school, that they start learning to discriminate and judge harshly from others. But before that age most kids I see in the street seem to be fascinated by the 'weird' and 'freakish'.
    Racism is not just for the west .
    Indeed...it's everywhere. My point was to discuss the racism in the west and how it has diminished greatly because as a society we have decided to stop teaching it, fomenting it...and have decided instead to teach against it.

So the greater point; If as a society we stop teaching and fomenting discrimination based on lifestyle choices(such as tattoos/piercings) then future generations won't make any judgements based on this. At the moment, anyone who stands out in the crowd because of different lifestyle choice, is a sort of Rosa Parks of this shift in mentality!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Adiboo wrote: »
    Not true in my experience. I'm living in Kerry, and fairly heavily covered, with hand and finger tattoos too and I VERY rarely get a negative reaction, and the one or two times somebody has said anything, it's nothing too major at all.

If I may hazard a guess, I'd say you probably look fairly intimidating and/or serious though. Over 30?

I got a lot more crap from people over my appearance when I was in school. Since then I've gotten a lot more work done, but I dress better and look older, so people take me more seriously and tend to handle the situation a bit more tactfully.

Although I do get considerably less stares in Dublin than when I'm in the rest of the country! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

If I may hazard a guess, I'd say you probably look fairly intimidating and/or serious though. Over 30?

24. And nope. I have Disney characters, a slice of pizza and a juicebox tattooed on me. Hardly the height of intimidation.

I got a lot more crap from people over my appearance when I was in school. Since then I've gotten a lot more work done, but I dress better and look older, so people take me more seriously and tend to handle the situation a bit more tactfully.

Although I do get considerably less stares in Dublin than when I'm in the rest of the country! :P

I'm more likely to have some skanger call me a f*ckin' hippy, Jesus or shout "starve the barber/get your hair cut" than make any comment about my tattoos :rolleyes:

Adiboo wrote: »
    24. And nope. I have Disney characters, a slice of pizza and a juicebox tattooed on me. Hardly the height of intimidation.

Disney characters and a juicebox! Now that scares the s**t outa me!! :D

Advertisement