Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR in parallel question

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

OK quick one. I have a PIR sensor running to a 40W outside light that can also be manually switched on. So there's a feed to the light from the PIR and also one from the wall switch.
    I also have another combined external PIR/light which keeps tripping with the wind and rain. What I'd like to do is feed the combined PIR/light unit with the feed from the 1st PIR sensor, so that once the first light comes on, the 2nd combined light/PIR goes live and will turn on if also tripped. You can't trip the LED light without first walking pass the 1st PIR sensor. So can anyone see an issue with this? The 1st PIR sensor powers a 40W light and the 2nd is a 6W LED light and I put both of them in originally.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MBSnr wrote: »
    I also have another combined external PIR/light which keeps tripping with the wind and rain.

So what you are saying is that this light fitting is tripping due to the ingress of moisture to the fitting itself? If so you need to fix this.

What I'd like to do is feed the combined PIR/light unit with the feed from the 1st PIR sensor,

That is OK assuming:
    1) The 1st PIR is rated to switch the increased load (most are).
    2) You have fixed the issue of water entering the fitting mentioned above.
    3) The original supply to this light is removed.

Note: You may find that the PIR/light switches on immediately once powered up.

so that once the first light comes on, the 2nd combined light/PIR goes live and will turn on if also tripped.

:eek: It sounds like you intend to feed a light from 2 separate circuits / sources. This would not be safe, nor is not permitted. A light should not trip because it is raining or windy. If a light fitting is filling with water it is not suitable for the application or incorrectly installed or damaged or a combination of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

So what you are saying is that this light fitting is tripping due to the ingress of moisture to the fitting itself? If so you need to fix this.

EDIT: Sorry I just re-read this and by tripping I mean triggering....

No ingress of moisture as far as I know. It's purely the movement of plants/trees tripping triggering it. I've masked the sensor as much as I can and it still occurs.
    That is OK assuming:
    1) The 1st PIR is rated to switch the increased load (most are).
    2) You have fixed the issue of water entering the fitting mentioned above.
    3) The original supply to this light is removed.

Note: may find that the PIR/light switches on immediately once powered up.

Thanks. The PIR is a STEINEL. (This or the older model of it). The orig supply to the light will be moved and wired into the output from the 1st PIR.
    It sounds like you intend to feed a light from 2 separate circuits / sources. This would not be safe, nor is not permitted.

No. Just feed the 2nd light from the 1st PIR. I understand that it may turn on straight away once the PIR goes live. To get to the location where the 2nd PIR/LED light is you have to pass the 1st PIR which turns on the 40W light. The 1st PIR never trips triggers incorrectly, so I want to use that to control the other light.

Thanks. So based on the above I think it should be ok.

^^^ Bump

2011 - My bad typos. Can you re-read...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^ Bump

2011 - My bad typos. Can you re-read...?

What you are trying to do will work fine.

You run a supply from the first light to the second light, and connect the live in that cable into the first PIR output, and it supplies the second fitting as per the usual way it would be connected.

So the second light cant activate unless the first one is also activated first, is what I think you are asking.

Thanks! All fixed and no more annoying triggering of the light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement