Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending power from outdoor socket to shed

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to tap into an existing outdoor socket to extend power to a child's playhouse and install a lightswitch and double socket there?

The playhouse is located about 10 feet from the outdoor socket which is on the rear wall of the house.

The lights would not be anything fancy - just a single standard fitting and the power outlets in the playhouse are unlikely to be used for anything that would draw a lot of power.

It's probably impractical to locate cable underground (there's a small concrete patio for much of the run) so I'd like to run it along the house and boundary (block) walls and into the playhouse (which is about 18 inches from the boundary wall).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hexen wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to tap into an existing outdoor socket to extend power to a child's playhouse and install a lightswitch and double socket there?

Yes, but I would not think it safe to use mains voltage. If I were doing this I would:
    1) Ensure that all wiring within the playhouse is 12V. That way there is no shock risk. If I child were to stick thier fingers into a bulb holder it could be fatal.
    2) Use LED lighting as it is cold to touch. Many lamps get so hot that they could cause serious burns.
    3) Select a light & switch that is 100% plastic, robust and waterproof (these units can be obtained quite cheaply).

Children and mains electricity can be a very bad mix!

It's probably impractical to locate cable underground (there's a small concrete patio for much of the run) so I'd like to run it along the house and boundary (block) walls and into the playhouse (which is about 18 inches from the boundary wall).

Run a 12V cable across the garden, this will present no danger (other than tripping hazard!). Perhaps you could simply plug a 12V LED driver (enclosed in an IP rated box) into the existing socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

only thing i could add is if you wish to use a cheap ip rated fitting that takes a mains bulb, you can easilly get a 12/24 volt standard bc lamp and use it in the mains type fitting.
    12 volt 60 watt traffo.......6.00
    wire gaurd ip rated bulkhead.........7.00
    junction box to enclose traffo........2.50

Also in relation to the socket, if you do need one in the garden, for safety most ip rated sockets have the ability to be locked with a little padlock and could be fitted back to back with one of the existing sockets. they also come in an built in rcd version but are exspensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Hexen

Sorry for the delay in reply and thank you both very much for the excellent advice.
    :)

Advertisement