Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Connect

• 16-09-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭

Hi
    We're thinking of switching our Phone + BB supplier from Vodafone to Sky.
    Internet speeds aren't great where we are (less than 3Mb/s) and sometimes drop off completely.

We have a Sky TV subscription and thought that 2 bills in one with a Sky TV + BB package would be the way to go.

My wife rang Sky today and they told her they can only offer us the Sky Connect Unlimited BB service. What exactly is Sky connect and how does it differ from their normal service? Does it give improved internet speeds/connection? Will our connection be the same with Sky Connect as it was with Vodafone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Sky connect means your exchange is non-NGB (next generation broadband). I have connect myself. In terms of your connection speed it will be either the same or better than your existing provider depending a bit on your old package.

Say you had an up to 1 or 3MB pacakge with your old crowd, the change to sky means you are now on an up to 8MB (for connect). So your router will synch up at the best it can do for your line.
    If you were previously on an up to 8MB package then you will just see roughly the same connection speed when on sky.

On the contention side of things. If in the evenings everything slows down at the moment, then after the move to sky it will most likely still slow down at the same times. If the evening contention/slow down you experience today is caused by your local exchange having an inadequate link back to the core network then switching to sky will do nothing to change it.

That being said you may still prefer to switch if it's going to cost you less money for the same as you have now.

Advertisement