Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom e-fibre roll out Waterford

Options
  • 16-09-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Anybody know when we are supposed to be getting that 25mb broadband in Waterford ? Has anybody got it yet ? Eircom don't seem to know , am around Newtown area . Some other exchange might have got this in the city ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

https://secure.eircom.net/bundles/ try this link click where it says "check for free upgrade" and type in your telephone number. should bring up which exchange you are connected to, and when efibre is available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Yep done all that crack according to map some people in Waterford should have this others soon , others we don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

baically, they are after getting planning permission to put all the new telephony boxes around the city.. now that its been done they have to wire them.. i think theres just one crew doing the wiring, which means one area at a time will be rolled out, quite alot of waterford has been done already, but there are still areas like tycor (or at least the last time i checked) were still unavailable..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

EFibre is available in some parts of Waterford. I recently got the school i volunteer at to switch over to it on the 70 meg package.. Beware if you use a setup that requires modem bridging as the F1000 is problematic for bridging.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The installation of eFibre is pretty quickly done and its a large enough team doing it. Work is already underway throughout Waterford, City & County, to implement fibre. I'm not sure where this talk about new boxes is coming from - they are using existing cabinets. The fibre goes from the exchange to the various cabinets, and then from there its the standard copper telephone line.

eFibre is available in a good chunk of Waterford and work is underway to have remaining completed between October - December, other areas in 2014.

This map is a little bit inaccurate but gives you a rough picture of whats available;
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Eircom are bringing out TV through the fibre network in the coming months and they are anxious to getting eFibre up and running. Its available in most of Kilkenny at the moment, for example.

Eircom technicians will call out and install the new fibre telephone unit in your house, setup the WiFi router and connect up to three devices for you. So when he leaves, you will be good to go and need to do nothing else. Its about an hour or so to get the installation done and its a clean installation in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Sully wrote: »
    I'm not sure where this talk about new boxes is coming from - they are using existing cabinets. The fibre goes from the exchange to the various cabinets, and then from there its the standard copper telephone line.

Im not sure myself who mentioned cabinets. However, Eircom are installing Huawei cabinets around the city, some are either in place of existing cabinets, located next to existing cabinets or if the existing cabinet is newly installed, the kit can be co-located in the cabinet

See Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nJS748SdGk (forward to 2:02 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

decies wrote: »
    Anybody know when we are supposed to be getting that 25mb broadband in Waterford ? Has anybody got it yet ? Eircom don't seem to know , am around Newtown area . Some other exchange might have got this in the city ??
    Well it is available on the Dunmore Road/Viewmount. Have it here. Installation took approximately an hour. Seems impressive. Have the 50MB package and am getting reliable download rates and upload rates.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

jmcc wrote: »
    Well it is available on the Dunmore Road/Viewmount. Have it here. Installation took approximately an hour. Seems impressive. Have the 50MB package and am getting reliable download rates and upload rates.

Regards...jmcc
    So near yet so far yet can't even give a year for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

Congrats on that. I ordered it, the installer arrived and asked me where was my modem. I said I was told he would have it. He smiled benignly and said my provider should have sent it to me. I said my provider was Eircom. He smiled benignly and asked was I sure. For at least ten years says I. He offered to upgrade the line but then my old modem wouldn't work. I said: please leave.

It brought back visions of the old P&T days and my earlier brushes with Eircom's mumbling tech support (does Mumbai mean "I mumble"?).

I am now waiting for UPC Horizon TV to come to my area.

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »
    So near yet so far yet can't even give a year for it !!
    Might be worth keeping an eye out for the VDSL cabinets. Some of them might be close to where existing cabinets are placed. But some areas of Waterford are supposed to have it already so Newtown should have it. Eircom might be prioritising business customers as this is one part of the market where UPC is weaker than others.

Regards...jmcc

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Congrats on that. I ordered it, the installer arrived and asked me where was my modem. I said I was told he would have it.
    Well Fibre needs a VDSL modem and that's different to the usual DSL ones. The installer had
    It brought back visions of the old P&T days and my earlier brushes with Eircom's mumbling tech support (does Mumbai mean "I mumble"?).
    The Eircom engineers and technicians have always been very good even back in the P&T days.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Eircom are completely useless....was paying for 8mb broadband a few years back but only get 500kb, they couldn't do anything to speed it up despite numerous call outs from engineers. Switched to UPC for internet and it's magic (crap for TV, stuck with Sky ;)), haven't looked back one

Paying for 50mb and, well you can see below

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Congrats on that. I ordered it, the installer arrived and asked me where was my modem. I said I was told he would have it. He smiled benignly and said my provider should have sent it to me. I said my provider was Eircom. He smiled benignly and asked was I sure. For at least ten years says I. He offered to upgrade the line but then my old modem wouldn't work. I said: please leave.

I am now waiting for UPC Horizon TV to come to my area.

That's eircom wholesale engineers that visit you and yes he should have the mode, at least if you are signing up with eircom retail. Your old modem does need to be replaced and the migration to efibre is free for existing and new customers.

Eircom are bringing TV to Waterford via fibre in the next few months which will be similar to UPC I understand with multi room not needing any extra wires. I'd personally hold off until eircom release their packages, I suspect they will be very competitive!

UhOh wrote: »
    Eircom are completely useless....was paying for 8mb broadband a few years back but only get 500kb, they couldn't do anything to speed it up despite numerous call outs from engineers. Switched to UPC for internet and it's magic (crap for TV, stuck with Sky ;)), haven't looked back one

To be fair that's because of your distance from the exchange and the quality of your line! UPC is a completely different network, different cabling etc.

Savage for broadband depending on where you are in the estate. Nobody came close to matching really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Sully wrote: »
    That's eircom wholesale engineers that visit you and yes he should have the mode, at least if you are signing up with eircom retail. Your old modem does need to be replaced and the migration to efibre is free for existing and new customers.

Eircom are bringing TV to Waterford via fibre in the next few months which will be similar to UPC I understand with multi room not needing any extra wires. I'd personally hold off until eircom release their packages, I suspect they will be very competitive!

And how do you trust a company that sends out a technician to install efibre without the modem? Or when I rang the contact number I was given to cancel efibre, the guy told me he could do nothing because he was only accounts. He put me on to 'retentions'. The girl there had no access to efibre accounts! She put me on the efibre who said sorry and nothing else.

I really should have left when I had to get an ex teammate to do a tech install for broadband when I couldn't get any sense out of the Indian learning English for Beginners in tech support or when I was told to reset my modem for NGB only to be told after two months resetting that there was no NGB in my area (which Sales then disputed when I rang to downgrade my package as suggested by the tech guy!).

I pay too much for my phone/BB/TV anyway so I am grateful for Eircom for jolting me out of my inertia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

UhOh wrote: »

Here's ours......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Here's ours......

Jealous.com

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Jealous.com
    Can you not get UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

No living 2 miles out the tramore rd may as well be the dark side of the moon!

• Advertisement

They put down the fibre lines recently. Launching December 2013 in Tramore.

Pity.:(

Advertisement