Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the lobby ATM machines?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I hate using the outside ATM and never use one at night. What banks in the Cork City area still have lobby ATMs? In Bishopstown they used to have one inside the door in AIB but for some unknown reason they removed it.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

At least when you use an ATM on the street you can scan up and down the street to see if there are any undesirables watching you, in a lobby you are effectively a sitting duck. I know there's probably CCTV cameras but someone in a hoddie with a knife or a needle could confront you when you come out of the lobby and what do you do then? You should be able to find an ATM in your local convenience (Spar/Mace) store or filling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

coylemj wrote: »
    At least when you use an ATM on the street you can scan up and down the street to see if there are any undesirables watching you, in a lobby you are effectively a sitting duck. I know there's probably CCTV cameras but someone in a hoddie with a knife or a needle could confront you when you come out of the lobby and what do you do then? You should be able to find an ATM in your local convenience (Spar/Mace) store or filling station.

But if you used an outside ATM, the hoodie could see you from afar and confront you later.

I was thinking more along the lines that the inside ATM should be less likely to be tampered with by one of those skimming devices (since the outside ATM is there 24/7 to be fiddled with).

Yes, the in-shop ones are also an option. But I still prefer the bank lobby.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They've made a concerted effort to eliminate lobby ATM's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

BuffyBot wrote: »
    They've made a concerted effort to eliminate lobby ATM's

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Worztron wrote: »
    Why?

I'd imagine a lot of them were not a pretty sight on a Monday morning. The last one I remember in Dublin was the BOI ATM lobby in Suffolk St. which is long since gone.

The proliferation of ATMs in convenience stores and filling stations (many of which are open 24 x 7) means that banks really don't need to provide as many machine as before so the expense of fitting out a lobby with CCTV and lighting is probably something they decided to eliminate a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why?

For those reasons, and it's also a lot easier to be followed in by someone who wants to shoulder surf you or just take your cash (less likely to be witnessed doing bad when you're off the street). Same applies to tampering with the machine etc.

Advertisement