Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA 5 Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Adam Sesslers Review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Just read that Polygon review. I was wondering if someone would bring up the role of women in GTA V. Women have never been prominent in GTA, but a realistic world needed a realistic depiction of women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yup I have a feeling this will be a good one. Good review on Eurogamer, their 9 seems to be atypical so far

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Archronos

There's 100s pouring in everywhere, it's riding 97 on Metacritic, which pretty much sets any developer involved in it up for life, as 85+ on Metacritic is an industry success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I know it's not a key element to the GTA experience but these paragraphs do not read like one I would see in a review that gives a game a high score;

from eurogamer
    In a way, though, your criminal success is also the downside to GTA5's lengthy story, which loses its way after an interesting start. Michael and Franklin could both carry interesting games on their shoulders - Michael's going through a midlife crisis, depressed because he can't control his family after giving them everything, while Franklin's torn between his roots and a desire for more. When Trevor arrives, though, the game reverts to a standard crime story - can't escape my past, enemies everywhere, one last job, etc - and more interesting themes are abandoned in favour of endless cut-scenes of roaring arguments.

The problem is that Trevor is an asshole. When you first meet him, he does something so unpleasant that you wonder how you're ever going to empathise with him, and before long you're rotating an analogue stick so he can pull a tooth out of someone's jaw with a pair of pliers. These are serious and intense moments, but Trevor is too shallow and unconvincing to justify them, and instead his antics derail the narrative. He's such a distraction to Michael that his family become a footnote rather than a subplot, while Franklin is almost completely forgotten until a bit of last-minute catch-up near the end of the game. The outcome ties up loose ends, but I'd lost interest by then.

OSI wrote: »
    I had this in the other thread, but I'll stick it here to:

Nothing about GTA is meant to be realistic. It has always been a hyperbole of stereotypes and borderline offensive humour. It's a cornerstone of the series that has, in part, made it the success it is.

Its supposed to be a parodical view of the world, but women are a huge part of the world. Polygons review suggests that they are playing bit-part characters in the game.

And GTA has always been a game about period relevance and taking humour from it. That relevance mostly comes from realism. It cant be offensive humour if you dont even reference them in first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They were just talking about it on the George Hook show on Newstalk. Only caught the tail end but it seemed like every effort was made to sensationalise some aspects of the game over actually taking too much time to talk about the game as a whole.

As expected I suppose, but it sounded like a lame attempt at sensationalism just because the game is coming out, and jumping on a bandwagon rather than being all that upset about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Yea hook would've never have given the game a chance. While there is a lot of em undesirable stuff, there is also a lot of beauty as well. Confused about the pro women talk in the reviews. Why so many picked it up as a issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ScumLord wrote: »
    They were just talking about it on the George Hook show on Newstalk. Only caught the tail end but it seemed like every effort was made to sensationalise some aspects of the game over actually taking too much time to talk about the game as a whole.

As expected I suppose, but it sounded like a lame attempt at sensationalism just because the game is coming out, and jumping on a bandwagon rather than being all that upset about it.

I had to laugh at the female TD using Halo and Unreal as other violent games, Halo isn't exactly overly violent, and Unreal? since when that has that been relevant?

Advertisement